Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Roma Pass - Not Worth It Or Am I Missing Something?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears the Roma Pass is increasing in price to 34 euros for pick ups after May 1, 2013. My hotel is centrally located so I do not plan on needing much transportation and the only 2 "big" attractions I probably will be able to visit in the 3 days is the Colosseum and Borghese Gallery. It appears the cost for both of these attractions will be less than 20euros total so I don't think I will get my money's worth out of the card.

Am I overlooking some other benefits maybe? I suppose if I were going to many museums during the 3 days and using the transportation service then it might be of value?

I did a search and didn't find much recent discussion on this topic but I apologize if I overlooked a thread. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 03:25 PM

One of the BEST benefits I enjoyed was NOT having to make the huge lines at the sights where I used the PASS. At the Colosseum you show the Roma Pass and go at a separate entrance. Same with access to the Roman Forum. I used the metro and buses a lot so that was another benefit; no worries about tickets.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 04:41 PM

I'm with Viajero. If you are going in summer- do yourself a favor and get the pass. If you use it at the Colosseum, stay all the way to the left at the entrance. Do not get in a line on the right. Look on the ceiling for the sign- far left- it will read "Roma Pass". You'll be in quick as a wink while everyone else waits 45 mts in line.

If you are going to Castel Sant'Angelo, you can use it there, too. I recommend a visit. It's fascinating, and the views of Rome from the top are spectacular (especially St. Peter's).

And you may not ride the buses, but you might need to if the weather is bad or you wrench an ankle/get a bum knee. You can never tell. You can also take that bus to the Borghese and with the pass you also get a discount on the "open air" 110 bus in Rome. If the weather is nice, this is a fun orientation to the city. You can catch it at different places (check the website); we picked it up in St. Peter's square and got off there too.

I say it's worth it, just to skip the lines!

Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

I already booked a tour for the Colosseum so I get to skip the lines ... yeah! And the Borghese books individual times, so I don't think skipping the lines is going to be an issue for the main sites. Castel Sant'Angelo is on my list but not sure yet when I will fit it in.

Hmmm ... still not seeing that I will come out ahead with the Roma Pass but I do appreciate the feedback!
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 05:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It seems the Roma & Piu Pass is still listed at 32€. It covers more sites and more transport. Buy it instead (although they haven't sold this pass during the warmer months the last two years).

>>>It appears the cost for both of these attractions will be less than 20euros total so I don't think I will get my money's worth out of the card.<<<

Wrong. The Borghese is 11€ (Full price € 9,00 + € 2,00 mandatory service charge) and the Colosseum is 12€ (assuming there is not some kind of rate increase happening May 1). You are also not factoring in the special exhibit fees. In the higher seasons, most sites in Italy have "special exhibits" and there is a fee (mandatory) added to the normal entry price (usually an extra 3-5€). It's likely the Colosseum will cost 16€ because of an exhibit (almost always has a special exhibit in summer). It's also possible the Borghese will have an exhibit. Public transport is 1.50€ each ride.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 05:57 AM

I don't know how long you are going to be in Rome but we used the transportation - even for 2 or 3 stops. After all that walking, you may be tired. You also get discounts at other sites and we went to Ostia Antica used the train pass. We were in Rome for a week, so it was worth it.
The advice that I read the most on the Net when preparing for our trip was that to get the most out of the Roma Pass, you have to plan ahead.
Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Although we will have 5 full days in Rome, the pass is only good for 3 consecutive days and the free entrance at the first 2 attractions swiped. Since 2 of my first 3 days will be rather full with long tours at the Vatican and Colosseum, I don't see that we will need lots of transportation on those particular days. So, in my particular situation, I don't think I will reap the benefits of the pass.

However, for someone using much transportation and visiting several attractions in a 3 day period, I can see the pass being a worthy purchase.

I guess, bottom line, do the math and determine if the pass saves you money. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't a benefit I was overlooking. Thanks again for all your feedback!
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 08:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, the best use of the pass is to schedule the Colosseum/Forum/Palantine (counts as one entrance) and either the Borghese or other museums that are 9-12€ (Capitoline, Contemporary Art, etc.)as your first two entrances on consecutive days.

I use public transport a lot when in Rome, but I'm very familiar with the transportation system and probably go a lot of places other people don't. For example, from your other thread, I would probably hop the #8 tram from or to Trastevere/Largo Argentina. I've ridden several trams and electric bus routes start to finish, hopping off where I see something that interests me. It helps with "Roman foot" and they are a great way to see parts of the city. Of course, you can always get a transport pass instead of Roma Pass.
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=5
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 09:48 AM

Are you sure the Castel Sant'Angelo is included with the Roma Pass? It isn't listed on the Roma Pass website (at least I don't see it). My husband and I leave for Italy on the 16th and are trying to nail down our plans. Thanks!
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 09:52 AM

Oops, I found it! http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=10
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 12:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, Castel san angelo IS on the pass but personally, I'd pass on it - though I was never one for cases full of guns and uniform which is mostly what you get, apart from a view from the top.

IMO if you are in Rome for 3 days and plan to use it for the colosseum/forum/palatinate AND one of the other big price sights, it's a good idea. otherwise, i wouldn't bother.

but i do think that a transport pas IS a good idea; without one, the temptation is to walk just that little bit further, and as kyb says, "roman foot" can be quick to strike.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

We chose not to get the pass. IMO, with only 3 days not sure I would do the Castel San Angelo. We were in Rome for 5 days and couldn't find the time to work it in. The view from the outside is free and allows for some terrific photo ops! For transportation, we mostly walked but a couple times we took a taxi on the way then walked back.