Roast Suckling Pig at the Hotel Cardenal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Toledo in April and spending a Friday night at the Hotel Cardenal. What can you tell me about their roast suckling pig? And the lamb??
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:29 PM

Sorry, I haven't had the pleasure of eating there. However, if you are looking for the best roast suckling pig then you are in wrong city. Try Candido's in Segovia. They practically wrote the book on the recipe.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:52 PM

It can be summed up in one word - YUMMY! You actually get the whole thing on your place, and the waiter shows you the "good part" - the cheeks! So nice and tender. They have an entire grill cooking a whole bunch at once. Just be prepared to eat late in Spain, as I'm sure you know. Don't even think of dinner until at least 9 pm. We ate at 10:30, and families with young children were coming in around 11. Amazing. Hotel is great too! Happy travels!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Mike1966,
The hotel's restaurant is owned by legendary Botín of the Antigua Casa Sobrinos de Botín in Madrid, of Hemingway fame (Sun Also Rises) and the world's oldest restaurant according to the G. Book of Records. Roast suckling pig is their specialty-they're the masters at it.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:46 PM

We stayed there (LOVED IT!) and had dinner at the restaurant and ordered the roast suckling pig. I'm probably not a good person to answer this question because I rarely eat meat, but I was a little disappointed, and next time I would order the lamb. You can't beat the setting and the hotel is just magical. Have a great time.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 05:18 PM

I was at Botin (sorry I'm accent mark impaired) in '99. I saw the roast pig going by. I'm omnivorous, but that pig on a platter looked too much like the one I dissected in high school biology.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 09:02 PM

we stayed there last year.Hotel was great except for the snooty staff and loud cocktail party in the hall until very very late..maybe that was why at dinner I didnt think their service impressed me.Treated us like tourists,well yes we were,but it was like "are you ready to order"..no asking for a drink even!! I am into the dining experience so was very disappointed. The food was just so so to me,but I had the lamb..
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 02:13 AM
jmv

Apparently experience at the Hotel Cardenal is mixed. I too found the place less "up to snuff" than I expected and was disappointed with the pig and lamb in view of it's association with Botin where both were fantastic. If this will be your only opportunity to try either dish, go ahead. But if you will be in Madrid or Segovia, go with the other recs instead. Botin and Candido are the best at it.