Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Road Trip through Provence & French Riviera

Jul 16th, 1997, 09:55 PM
Elizabeth

My daughter and I will be traveling by car from Lyon through the Provence area and the French Riviera for eight days in September. Any suggestions for bed & breakfasts, hotels, restaurants, special things you have done in this area?

Aug 24th, 1997, 05:41 PM
Michele H

I hope you've had more luck that I have. I've been reading guide books and surfing the net, to no avail. I am going the end of Oct. and looking for additional info particularly on Aix-En-Provence and Nice.
Share it you can.
Thanks!

Aug 25th, 1997, 03:56 AM
Ed

Elizabeth: Visit old Roman city near St. Remy de
Provence also Le Baux (sp?) ancient city built on large rock. The view is spectacular. Also visit
wineries they should be picking the grapes (you
did say Sept.?), have fun, regards, Ed

Aug 25th, 1997, 05:55 AM
Karen

Spent 2 weeks in Aix in June - home base for day trips in Provence. Great guidebook with more than a few pages about Aix is Knopf's "Provence" (1994)- highly recommend it. Suggestions: In Aix, everyone writes that the Cour Mirabeau is one of the world's beautiful streets. See it, but sit at cafes elsewhere; it was the one spot on our entire France trip where the waiters seemed as if they'd rather be doing anything else than providing service despite the fact that we speak pretty good French and it was only June, before the onslaught of tourists! Enjoy the flower and produce markets. You can buy lavender soap, honey, etc. for nice souvenirs. Check out "Les Olivades" for high quality cottons (provencal bandanna-size scarves make nice gifts & easy to pack). Visit Paul Fouque's santons shop (see Fodor's for info) - wonderful!! Loved "Chez Maxime" restaurant. See the old cathedral. The town will be lively with all its university students. Drive a "Route des Vins" (wine route) - a few minutes north of Aix thru Puyricard to Le Puy is a nice route - also east of Aix to Puyloubier to Pourriere takes you along the foot of Mte. Ste. Victoire and past several wineries. Try to take in at least one or two "perched villages" in the Luberon - especially Bonnieux and Lacoste.
Les Baux does have a spectacular view and presents quite a story about medieval village warfare. We thought the "live city" (below the dead city) was like something out of Epcot, though - snack cafes and touristy souvenir stands! We were more impressed with Glanum (just south of St. Remy) for an amazing view into Roman civilization - the town's excavation is enormous and the visitor's center excellent. Of course, there's the Palais des Papes in Avignon; the Pont du Gard and the Roman theatre in Orange were also tops on the list. If you have any more questions, use my email. We loved Provence.

Elizabeth: Tip for Lyon: Found a promotion through Greater Lyon Office du Tourisme called, "Bon Weekend a Lyon" - over 40 hotels offered two nights for the price of one on Friday and Saturday nights (when the business travelers clear out). Stayed at the 4-star "Hotel Royale" right on Place Bellecour - our quiet room on the top floor, with balcony overlooking the Place and views off to the basilica on the hill, was terrific. All for what ended up costing less than $60 per night! Staff could not have been more helpful. The promotion also offered 2-for-1 rates on guided tours, boat tours, etc. Webpage: www.mairie-lyon.fr

Aug 29th, 1997, 10:57 AM
maureen

My husband and I were in this area a few months ago.
We started near Nice in Menton on the French/Italian Border - very nice little town and stayed at Hotel Grimaldi phone 93-28-30-30. Simple but with little balconies that you can eat breakfast on. We really liked the Hotel Lou Cagnard in St. Tropez phone 04-94-97-04-24 - breakfast is served outdoors in a nice courtyard/garden. From there you can head up to Provence through the cotes de Provence valley with many wineries - a beautiful drive. I agree with the other writers on St. Remy, Roman Ruins, and hill towns of Provence. A couple of the ones we enjoyed were Gordes and especially Rousillon with it's red clay hillsides.