I have recently planned a trip to Italy for early May with my boyfriend. I have been to Italy before but with a tour group (also, I was only 17 so much time has passed). This time around we have decided to take a two week long road trip beginning in Verona, making our way to Venice and then down through Florence, Tuscany, Rome and the Amalfi Coast. We do not have much planned except for renting a car. However, I am very much clueless about how the driving will be especially in and around the larger cities.
The idea is to have the freedom to not only visit the major cities in Italy (Rome, Venice, Florence) but also venture outside the smaller towns to really get a feel of Italy. Also, we do not want to prbook hotels since we do not have a set itinerary (I am working on an itinerary but just to use as a guide). Anyone ever road tripped through Italy? If so, any tips will be very well appreciated.
Also, with a car, how will we be able to see venice? Do we park it at a train station and take the train into the city? If that is the case, will we be better off getting a hotel outside of Venice? Say Mestre? Since we will have a car.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 2 Driving
- 3 10 days in Cologne Munich Switzerland
- 4 My France Vacation
- 5 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 6 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 7 Car hire from Venice to Croatia and bosnia
- 8 Where to stay in Naples?
- 9 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 10 Provence and Cote de Azure
- 11 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 12 Andalusia schedule /Cordoba question
- 13 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 14 Ronda by bus in early January?
- 15 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 16 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 17 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 18 More time in Belgium or Germany?
- 19 10 days trip to Europe in June of 2018
- 20 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 21 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 22 CACHOPO, CABRALES & CARBAYONES Asturias..and "The Best Steak in The World"
- 23 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 24 20th wedding anniversary, Le Grand Tour
- 25 Best Greek Island