Search

Road Trip in western France Where to pick up and drop off rental car

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Trip in western France Where to pick up and drop off rental car

Hello
I'm taking a road trip in western France in mid Sept and I am wondering if it is possible to pick up a rental car in one town and drop it off at another?
Arriving and departing out of CDG but will spend the last night of my trip in Paris so I wold prefer to drop the car off prior to heading into Paris.
Currently thinking about heading to Chartes upon arrival, Rennes, Mont St Michel, Caen and make Giverny my last stop before heading into Paris.
Is it easy to take a train from CDG to Chartes and pick up a car there and drop it off near or at Giverny and get into Paris from there?
Thank you
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 08:08 AM

You can't take a direct train from CDG to Chartres. You have to go into Paris first. Yes, you can pick up a car anywhere in France and drop it off anywhere in France without incurring an extra charge. I would just rent the car at CDG and drive to Chartres, then drop it off wherever you like at the end of your trip.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM
ira

I agree with SC
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Ok thank you
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 04:36 AM

Agree - no fee for drop-off at a location different from the pick up site. However, there can be a fee for pick-up at an airport or train station (no fee for drop off at these locations, tho). When renting from Kemwel they had a menu of rental offices for each city. To save a few euro (35 on my contract - listed in the small print), you might want to check to see if there are city offices where you could pick-up the car (end of a Paris metro line in the direction you are headed?). Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I nearly always get my cars at train stations, due to the longer hours and ease of exiting the city. Paris is actually a very easy city for driving because the signage is abundant and excellent. And Paris drivers are actually quite tolerant of people who don't know where the hell they're going. Well, most of them anyway. I have encountered far more unpleasantries in the smaller cities -- due to the inadequate signage and local drivers who automatically suppose that everybody knows exactly where he is going (the opposite is expected in Paris).
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 07:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Oh, and to pay less if you are using Kemwel/AutoEurope, try using different home countries. I have never paid a train station or airport fee simply because I live in Europe.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 08:54 AM

If you're at Chartres, don't miss Malcolm Miller's talk given every noon and 2:45. He is just as interesting now as when I first saw him 20 years ago.