Road trip from Salzburg to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! Would appreciate some advice on my itinerary around Austria and Switzerland in late June. My family and I only have six days in between, and we plan to start in Salzburg, stopping by Sankt Gallen, Lugano and Lavaux, and finally ending in Paris to get on the eurostar to London. Even though we only have six days in between, we would ideally want to have quite a relax holiday.

Looked through some other threads in the forum and a lot of people recommend the Gross Glockner High Alpine Road. Would anybody have any idea on whether it is possible to drive from Salzburg to Sankt Gallen via the Gross Glockner High Alpine Road? Or would it simply be too long a journey to make...?

Also, would there be any recommendation on places to stay (on a mid to high range budget) in Salzburg, Sankt Gallen and Lavaux, and any must-see attractions (including surrounding areas)? Oh and restaurants too! Very big on food

Thank you very much!
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:49 AM

I'm 50% convinced this post is a spoof.

If not, you need to get out a European atlas. Your plans are truly all over the map and not in line with a relaxed holiday.
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

It is not a spoof.
My family wants to drive through Austria and Switzerland mainly, and they're hugely into scenery, but I wanted to add Lugano in, in case it gets a bit boring after a few days of just mountains and trees and lakes.
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:22 AM

Of course it's possible. It would be about a 1,100 mile drive though. If you want a truly scenic drive go from Salzburg to St Gallen via the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, Lienz, Timmelsjoch, Holzgau, Dornbirn. I can provide a map of the route if you like. I have some here: http://thirdmansystems.com/vacation/maps/maps.htm
After St Gallen I've drive along the Bodensee to the Black Forest and Strasbourg.
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:19 AM

I remain doubtful that you can drive over 1,000 miles on scenic, twisting back roads, have time to relax, visit major and minor attractions, and linger over fine meals, in just six days.
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:21 AM

Not to mention that this takes place during the holiday traffic and road works season.
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I've discussed with my family and we've decided to just tour Austria and Switzerland, and catch a flight from Zurich to London. We have to be back in England by a certain time, and originally wanted to drive all the way for fear of flight disruption e.g. volcano eruptions, but I guess if that happens we can still take the eurostar from Zurich.

To norrisken (or anyone else): Your idea sounds amazing (from Salzburg to St Gallen via the Grossglockner etc), I think my parents would really enjoy it - do you have any idea how long the drive would take? We have 2-3 drivers between the group of us, so we can take turns. Also, if it is not too much to ask for, do you mind providing me with maps of the route? We have a GPS but my parents are not very high tech people, and would probably feel more at home with traditional maps...

Thanks so much!