Road Trip from Munich to Tuscany

Jul 8th, 2019, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Road Trip from Munich to Tuscany

Dear community members,

We are planning to make a Road trip starting from Munich to Tuscany. We have 3-4 days (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon), and its a round trip. We are now confused with the itinerary, Could some one guide us on this, like where to have stop over, what we have to see..
We are not concerned by the luxuries of cities, rather the nature to enjoy. Heard that stay in Tuscany is costlier, is it true?
Any plan/ suggestion/ guidance is highly appreciated .

Thanks,
Girish
Jul 8th, 2019, 02:20 AM
J62

You really don't need to have a stop over as it's only about 700km drive from Munich to Tuscany (I picked Siena as an example destination). You can do that drive on day 1, Friday and it'll take you about 7 hrs driving if you don't encounter Munich rush hour traffic, and stopping only for gas and perhaps some fast food to eat en-route. You're passing over the Alps on the way. If you do a quick stop to see the Alps, maybe somewhere in Austria, that will add an hour or 2 to your drive so I recommend you get an early start to your road trip. That leaves you Saturday & Sunday in Tuscany, then you drive the 700km back to Munich on Monday. The return trip would be faster since you would not need to stop to see the Alps on the way back.

Last edited by J62; Jul 8th, 2019 at 02:25 AM.
Jul 8th, 2019, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks J62 for quic respone, any suggestion on what can we see other than Florence, Arezzo, Siena, Colle Di Val D'Elsa, Volterra and pisa. I mean any hidden(curious) places to explore.
Jul 8th, 2019, 03:27 AM
J62

I think seeing Florence, Arezzo, Siena, Colle Di Val D'Elsa, Volterra and Pisa would fill up your 2 days in Tuscany. In fact, I'm I'm sure others will weigh in and say you don't have time to see all of that. A typical 1st timers visit to Tuscany includes min 3-4 days in Florence, perhaps a half or full day side trip to Pisa, and 1-2 days in Siena. Arezzo, Colle & Volterra are ~1/2 day each when you include the overhead of driving there, parking, walking into the town, and sightseeing in those town.

If you have extra time you could visit a winery in the Chianti area of Tuscany (which you will be in already with those towns), or perhaps visit Lucca, a charming walled hill town.

Last edited by J62; Jul 8th, 2019 at 03:35 AM.
Jul 8th, 2019, 05:13 AM

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Munich/Florence-Italy We like stopping in Brixon and Bolzano.
Jul 8th, 2019, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by girish View Post
Thanks J62 for quic respone, any suggestion on what can we see other than Florence, Arezzo, Siena, Colle Di Val D'Elsa, Volterra and pisa. I mean any hidden(curious) places to explore.
You cannot see anything but the standard items with only 3 or 4 days; hidden gems are for the slow traveler. If I understood your original post, you will have one day driving down and one day driving back, which will leave one or two days to visit sights in Tuscany. For one day I would recommend Siena.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 8th, 2019 at 12:11 PM.
Jul 9th, 2019, 03:10 AM

If that trip is planned for summer - good luck.
The route from Munich to Italy via the Brenner pass is one of the the most crowded "crossings" of the Alps.
Especially on weekends, and that includes fridays for driving North to South.
In addition, you pay for motorway toll sticker for Austria, Brenner pass motorway toll, motorway toll in Italy.

To actually have some time to spend in Tuscany you could think about:
1) Night train/ sleeper from Munich to Florence, leaves Munich around 8pm, arr Florence around 6.30am. Explore Florence, stay one night, pick up rental car next day to explore Tuscany. Return by night train.
2) Fly Munich to Florence, or Pisa, or Bologna (all nonstops from MUC) and rent a car, or
3) Combine rail and plane