Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Road trip from Munich to Amsterdam (Oktoberfest 2012)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2012, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends and I will be attending Oktoberfest in Munich this year. After that we plan to take a short trip to Amsterdam.

However, we are more inclined to drive the Autobahn there rather than fly or take the train.

I'm trying to find a car rental service which will let me rent a car for just 1 day, drive from Munich and drop the car off at Amsterdam. Most places have a minimum 3 day rental.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM

I think most places will have a large drop off fee for picking up and dropping off in different countries. A lot of companies have a three day min. I think for this the train makes the most sense...why do you want to drive?
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:15 AM

When you're done partying the Oktoberfests, you probably shouldn't be driving for a couple of days.

Anyway, I just tried Hertz, no problems renting for a single day at all. It's expensive, especially if you want something that you'll find nice to drive on the Autobahn but it is possible.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 08:45 AM

The car is hard to understand. You'll pay heavy fees in A'dam for dropping in another country. You'll pay 80€ for gas. I see train fares of 59-89€ on sample dates at www.bahn.de . On the train you can nap, read, sightsee, have some wine, whatever.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 09:14 AM

Over 8 hours of driving autobahns and Dutch motorways, not allowing for stops, about €110 for fuel, car hire, one-way drop off fees. Why??

It can be quicker by train (7 1/2 hours to 8 1/2 hours), and unless there are a lot of you cheaper too.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:05 AM

The extra fee for dropping off car in another country might cost you hundreds of euros. Make sure that you check this out well, if any car company allows you to hire a car for one day.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:53 AM

Hello. I must agree with everyone about the car. I just drove to Denmark from SW Germany - what a bore. If I knew the train went on the ferry, I'd have taken it. There is considerable road construction in Germany and it just takes the fun out of the drive to creep along at 5 km. That can be nerve-wracking and all the more so if the car is a 4-cylinder little bug that doesn't have a lot of pick-up. Give a thought to the train - you won't have to waste time dealing with rental and turn-in. Whatever you decide, have a great time.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM

The car vs. other means of transport depends on the role of a car for a trip.

If a car is just a way of traveling, one compares the cost, comfort, speed, convenience,etc. of alternatives.

If a car is THE objective of the trip. One takes a car regardless of any relevant factors. It is assumed a priori that the car is the best and the only means of moving around.

Among my US acquaintances, the latter view is more common, and any mention of existence of alternatives, such as high speed trains, is viewed as an unwelcome challenge.

A one day rental part alone with drop off in Amsterdam would be at least 300EU. You add petrol and parking cost on top of this.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:24 PM

Pretty easy.
Drop the car in Duisburg, Oberhausen or already in Cologne and take the fast train for the last kms to Amsterdam.
No major rental car company im Germany has a 3 day minimum rental, and you don't pay a surcharge for one way rentals.
It's no fun to drive into or in Amsterdam anyway.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:59 PM

greg - you forgot toll road expenses

Cowboy1968 - this would be the best alternative if OP is after the driving experience rather than a means of transport - but always in my opinion, too mch hassle to pick up car, deposit it - this takes time - , and still have to catch a train. At least the huge fee for depositing car in another country would be avoided, although there would still be an additional fee for depositing car at a different location in the same country. Not worth it in my opinion. But if it is what OP prefers, maybe something that he/she always wanted to do, then so be it.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:04 PM

Anna_Galea - what toll roads?

I agree if they just want the experience of driving an autobahn then Cowboy's solution is best. However it will add a lot of time to the journey, and let's face it driving autobahns/motorways/freeways is not the most exciting thing to do, even if you choose to do it at high speed.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM

OP's plan only makes sense if the "driving experience" is what he is looking for. Which can mean to get stuck in lots of traffic, by the way.
If it's just a way to get from M to A then the car is nuts.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 02:11 PM

Hallelujah greg and Cowboy1968!

Some people are on a mission to either convert, or just denigrate, anyone who actually might like to enjoy the driving experience as part of their vacation.

To those folks, and you know who you are, it doesn't matter if;

you don't like it,
would never do it,
think it's stupid,
think it's a waste of time,
think it's less convenient,
or think it's more expensive

because it's not your vacation.

If you can't help the OP find a solution to the question they pose, maybe it's best to just move on to the next post. If an OP asks if something is a good idea or asks which of several possible options would be preferable, then providing advice based on your own preferences (or obsessions, in some cases) is the proper way to go. I don't see that approach here.

I am afraid that OP's are often blissfully unaware that advice which overtly attempts to direct them away from their stated preferences to those of the responder (doesn't validation feel good!) is often rife with inaccuracies. It's one thing to be arrogant ins responding. It's quite another to be misleading - that is harder to spot for those who have little travel experience.

sh3r0y; The drop charge is steep, as noted, to take the car all the way to Amsterdam. Cowboy1968 gave the best advice; dropping the car in Cologne at the main rail station and taking the train to Amsterdam from there is currently showing around 82 Euros for the cheapest car.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 04:32 AM

I agree that everyone should give their opinion in a nice way. (I am so sure everyone means well here and want to be helpful to anyone that has queries - and everyone gives suggestions according to own past experiences and personal preferences which might differ) then ultimately OP comes to a conclusion after considering pros and cons pointed out by Fodorites.

That is why I nearly always like to end my suggestions by stressing to any OP that if that is what he/she is what they really want to do, then they should ultimately do it, otherwise, they might always regret that they did not end up doing what they really wanted to do. It happens to me when I plan my own holiday and leave out an area or town or region, sometimes I say to myself afterwards that I could fitted in that town or whatever and that I would need to go again to that place to satisfy my curiosity.

One thing I would always never do (unless it is something close to impossible for OP) is that if an OP mentions for example that he/she wants to visit Bologna, I would not suggest that instead he/she should visit Venice, just because maybe it is one of the big three in Italy, as they are called. I might suggest he/she includes Venice, but would make sure that Bologna is included in the trip. I also hate to suggest to somebody to eliminate a region that OP is bent in including in holiday, even if it is for a few days - if OP wants to do some extra travel, unless this is close to impossible, then so be it.

hetsimijs - the autobahns do not have toll roads, but it might be possible that OP might pass through a toll road (I do not know what route he/she would be taking - just an eye opening just in case when checking out her desired route - but anyhow, that would not increase expenses that much - I would be more weighing the viability of the drop off fee in another country.

But I also can understand that the journey might be worth if for the scenery and if OP loves driving (true, some people like long distance driving). Plus if you are maybe 4 or more in a car, or even more if hiring a van (OP says she will be friends) it might still be worth it to drive - maybe more viable. Also OP might not mind splashing out on this drive. Each to his own as I always like to say.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 02:48 AM

Again, Hertz. A simple Opel Astra stationwagon, pick up in Munchen and drop-off in Amsterdam the next day: €400. You want something fancier like a Merc C class: add another €100.

Add fuel: the Opel will do ~ 8L/100km, it's 850 km (give or take 50), let's say 70 liters of fuel = 70 x 1.70 = €119.
The Merc if you can get it in Diesel, will be cheaper in fuel costs. It may take 7L/100km, which comes down to 60 liters diesel x €1.60/ltr = €92.

Of course, if you want to drive the Autobahn like the (no, scrap that, some) Germans do, you'll need a lot more fuel.

Timewise: there obviously are roadworks in Germany, but how bad this will be remains to be seen. In October, the weather may be bad with rain all day - that'll slow you down more than the roadworks. If you want to know about the roadworks and how they may affect your trip, check out http://maps.adac.de, http://routes.tomtom.com and of course google maps. If you can, bring a modern TomTom navigation system featuring live services for Europe. If that proves impossible or too expensive, consider getting a local data SIM card for your smartphone and use the traffic layer from google maps.

Bottom line: be prepared, have fun.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 01:04 AM

I live in the Netherlands myself and visit the Oktoberfest (almost) every year. In the past I have been going by car several times, and it is really not advisable.

Going there is not a problem, but going back after a few days of heavy drinking is not a great experience. Also, keep in mind that the autobahn is often very congested, and you might encounter accidents which will demand you to brake very quickly in order to avoid a collision. This can be tricky when not completely fresh.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 03:40 PM

How much does it cost to fly. You can be there in an hour and a half.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 01:34 AM

Airfare depends on when you book it. I always book a year in advance for Oktoberfest and a roundtrip costs 99 euros. But a few weeks before the fest it can be 300-400 euros!