Search

Road trip 3 days from York to Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip 3 days from York to Edinburgh

Hello!

We are a young couple and will be taking a trip to the United Kingdom and were hoping to get some ideas and tips regarding a specific part of our trip.

We will be getting a car only in a small part of the trip, for three days and two nights, between York and Edinburgh. Looking online, i got a bit overwhelmed by the amount of possibilities, and our time is limited.

I was hoping to drive in beautiful country of both England and Scotland, see some small villages, and choose two in which to sleep, (one for each night) probably one in England and one in Scotland. I was also thinking of maybe travelling further north from Edinburgh into Scotland and then coming down to Edinburgh... I am thinking of driving about 4-5 hours per day (around 170 miles, or 270 km)

I have researched online for names of villages and scenic routes, but got kind of overwhelmed with all the possibilities so I was looking to have some pointers!!

Thank you very much
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 11:35 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
What time of year? It can make a difference.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick reply. It will be end of august!
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 11:49 AM

Berwick-on-Tweed is a fascinating seaside town on the border ofn Scotland and England - I enjoyed staying there - not a big tourist draw but several old fortifications - some still used.

From there you can drive via the Borders Abbey country - in Scotland along the English border - Melrose would be a sweet small town base with its own famous ruined abbey - Jedburg Abbey and others are nearby - drive from there to Edinburgh or go vis Stirling - one of the best castle towns in the U.K. (Bravehaeart associations) and super duper castle - from there go up to say Loch Lomand and a bit of the Highlands before heading east to Edinburgh.

Well there's one scenario amongst many possibilities. But Berwick is a real sleeper IMO - also a scenic drive if you want to take roads along the coast which can be slow-going as any in the U.K. - Yet Motorways are faster but skirt all towns and coasts.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 12:17 PM
ESW

How about Haltwhistle and Hadrian's Wall country for your first overnight and then Berwick area for the second?

We can recommend Hall Meadows B&B in Haltwhistle.
http://www.accommodationinhaltwhistle.co.uk/

From York, head to Helmsley with its ruined castle and Helmsley Walled garden in the shadow of the castle. Then head for Rievaulx Abbey, one of the great Yorkshire ruined abbeys. Then head for Durham for your next stop for the cathedral, the best Norman cathedral in England and the delightful Crook Hall Gardens. Head to Haltwhistle for the night.

Next morning spend some time hitting the highlights of Hadrian’s Wall. Just north of Haltwhistle is Cawfields picnic site and Milecastle 42 is just a short walk from the car park. Walk along the wall east from here to Shield on the wall, at the next road crossing. This is one of the easiest stretches of the wall to walk with superb views. Return the way you came to pick up the car. Alternatively head for Housesteads Roman Fort. Explore the fort (making sure you find the latrines) and go for a short walk along the wall to the west of the fort as far as Housesteads milecastle.

From Haltwhistle drive cross country to Rothbury and Cragside, the home of wealthy Tyneside Industrialist, Lord Armstrong and the first house in the world to be lit by electricity. Alnwick is just a short drive. Here is Alnwick Castle, the home of the Dukes of Northumberland with its award winning gardens.

Now pick up the A1 and head north to Berwick on Tweed. If time allows do a detour to admire the outside of Bamburgh Castle. This is the castle featuring in all the advertising literature for Northumberland.

Alternatively, skip either Cragside or Alnwick Castle and drive across to Holy Island - IF THE TIDE TIMES ARE RIGHT. Don’t attempt to cross outside these times as the tide comes in very quickly and cars get regularly stranded on the causeway.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Oh yes Hadrian's Wall - I stayed in Hexham also a nice town that is central to the best parts of the wall - then maybe head to the Borders Abbey and then head to the great coast ESW so aptly describes - especially Alnick Castle and Holy Island! Great descriptions ESW!
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 02:29 PM

Here's a three-day route that I'd consider... https://goo.gl/maps/MBfsW

Day 1 - North to Durham for a tour of the cathedral, castle, and the medieval town running down the hill from both. Durham cathedral gets my vote for the most awe-inspiring building in Britain, and one of the top ten in Europe.

Continue north to Alnwick and a look at Alnwick Castle, but continue north along the A1 to Bamburgh, a stunning village with a VERY dramatic castle perched above the sea.

Depending on how your time is doing, spend the first night in Bamburgh or, if you can make the tide and find someplace to stay, head for Lindisfarne (the Holy Isle) instead. But Bamburgh is not to be missed IMO.

Day 2 - Spend a couple of hours exploring Bamburgh or Lindisfarne, then head inland from the coast along the B6353 to the tiny hamlet of Etal, home of a tiny ruined castle and the northernmost thatched pub (and a good one) in England.

From Etal head north by west across the border at Coldstream, then Duns, and then over the beautiful Lammermuir Hills on the B6353 - https://goo.gl/maps/LgL52 - to the picturesque village of Gifford and the ancient burgh of Haddington, where you'll connect with the A1.

Bypass Edinburgh on the ring road then head north over the Forth road bridge on the M90 past Loch Leven to the A91, then east to the A912 and make your second night's stop in the village of Falkland. http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...and/index.html Falkland is a gem, with numerous historic buildings and the marvelous Falkland Palace in the middle of things. A terrific overnight spot in the Kingdom of Fife.

Day 3 - Head east across Fife to the "East Neuk" - the tip of the peninsula. You can go by way of St. Andrews if you want - run along the beach humming the theme from <i>Chariots of Fire,</i> or look at the 1% playing golf, or see the gentle hand of the Reformation at the Cathedral...

Anyway, your target(s) are the picturesque fishing villages along the south coast of Fife, starting with Crail, then Anstruther, Pittenweem, St Monans... all of them colorful, historic, possessing decent pubs for lunch, maybe some fresh fish... Example - http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...ail/index.html

Then it's back to Edinburgh and the end of this little road trip. I've shown the route ending at the airport (more opportunities to drop the car, then take the tram into town) but if you need the car to get to the central part of the city, so be it.

There's quite a lot of variety in this itinerary, with a couple of don't-miss destinations thrown in. Highly recommended.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

WOW

thank you all so much for the tips and suggestions! This is very valuable information.

Gardyloo, thank you so much for this detailed three day route. Great suggestions and this is a great starting point for planning out this trip! This will be the basis, definetely

Do you think it would be feasible to make a route similar to what you described but avoiding the As altogether and focusing on Bs?

Thank you very much again! I am saving this post and I will keep coming back to it.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 12:16 PM

<i>Do you think it would be feasible to make a route similar to what you described but avoiding the As altogether and focusing on Bs?</i>

Probably, but the benefit of the big roads (and believe me, the A roads in the outback are not major highways, not even close) is that you can get between places quickly, then have more time to poke around the countryside. It's all about time management.