Reload this Page >

Road Map of Southern England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 1997, 04:14 PM
Tom

I need a good road map or small road atlas of southern England. Where can I get one?

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 04:12 PM
Heather Campbell

Go to your local AAA outlet and see if they have a the British AA road map book. It is a large yellow and very easy to read. It is invaluable if you are looking for small towns or you plan on taking the "A" or "B" roads rather than travelling the motorways. If you can't find it at home, I seem to remember it being for sale at the car rental agency at Heathrow. I don't leave home without mine!

Heather
P.S. If you have never driven in England before, I would recommend you look for the Highway Code manual when you arrive there. I picked up one at a Post Office outlet. It is helpful to figure out what the road signs mean. They are different than over here.

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 08:15 PM
Tricia

Hi, You can also go into Alta Vista search engine and type in" road maps of Europe" and click on 'Search" It will bring up several. the Elstead Maps: Europe Motoring Guide is out of UK. It looks great. They sell lots of road, camping maps atlases, etc. You can E-mail them, fax them, send a check, use credit card etc. The other that came up was put out by the Univ of Texas and the maps actually come up on your screen so that you can plan things right NOW! It helps if you need to see a map now! E-mail me if you need any more help!

Old Jul 11th, 1997, 07:36 PM
Karen Harris

Hi, - a friend of mine drives a taxi in London and he raves about
the A-Z Guides. You can buy one upon arrival at Heathrow or Gatwick at
any kiosk. Also, Borders Books and Music has an excellent foreign map
section. I recently picked up a Geographia Road Atlas of Britain and it
was quickly confiscated by my friend. Good luck!

Old Jul 13th, 1997, 03:49 PM
Carol

I have been on several driving trips in the UK and each time we were mostly looking for cottages in small villages and we used the same atlas each time. I recommend the Colliers Road Atlas. I don't know if it is available in the US, we picked ours up at the airport in the UK. Every road we ever wanted to go on or didn't was on the map. It is not small, but it is about 4 miles to the inch--invaluable over there.

If this is your first time driving on the left, keep close to the center line (where there is on), it will save tires, hubcaps, and passenger side mirrors.