Experienced Traveling confused about the Rome Airport Theft Warnings

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to Rome soon and confused about all the horror stories about FCO. I travelled over 100,000 miles last year..but still I'm hearing scary stories about having EVERYTHING stolen from me at the Rome Airport. Especially phones, chargers and computers. IAm I really at risk of the things I have in my carry-on? How could this happen unless I am an idiot? And how worried do I really have to be about my checked luggage? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 12:01 AM

I've been through Rome several times and never had anything stolen.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 02:49 AM

Ditto, and I have never even heard the horror stories to which you refer, but:

1. Never check electronics, jewelry, cameras, or other valuables;

2. Do not put your bag containing valuables on a cafe table or on the chair next to you;

3. Do not put a bag with valuables on the ground next to you while you stand in line or transact business or on the train or subway. Keep it between your feet or pressing your calves enough so you are instantly aware if it is missing.

4. Do not hang a handbag or tote over your shoulder, do not use a backpack, and do not use an external waist pack, especially if it will work itself toward your rear. I could own a couple of dozen iPhones from this alone if I were not honest.

5. If someone stops suddenly in front of you or bumps into you, assume you are being set up for pickpocketing or a snatched bag. Take a step or two to the side, and turn toward the offenders. If it is innocent, all you have done is be a little rude. No need to confront anyone, just show alertness. If they are going to take your stuff anyway, let it go.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 04:48 AM

I agree with the above. I've not heard any horror stories about FCO. Where and from whom have you heard this? Reliable sources? I've transited through and terminated in FCO and had no problems.

I have known (and hears of) people who had carry on bags stolen but they had put them down on the ground or left them lying on top of their luggage on the luggage trolly and were not holding on to them.

I travel with a camera and a netbook and put both into a backpack and the backpack never leaves my body. At times I need to put the pack in front of me but the straps are around my shoulders and one arm is around it.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 05:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not heard any horror stories about Rome or FCO. Can you provide any links to such or are we talking Huffington press?
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 05:16 AM

Just flew there with no problem at all. As always, be careful with your belongings and keep them in sight at all times.

The only thing I found unusual there is that they require you to place electronics in a plastic bag for security screening (on departure). We had no problems but I had my eye on that bag as it was on the screening belt and as it came out.

Take the usual travel precautions and don't spend any more time worrying about this.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 05:19 AM

Horror stories? hahaha...like there's zombies or anything at FCO?

FCO is just like any other international airport. Basically whatever universal international airport rules applied anywhere, applicable at FCO; don't leave your luggage un-attended, don't trust your luggage with strangers, etc. No FCO special rules needed
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 07:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>> still I'm hearing scary stories about having EVERYTHING stolen from me at the Rome Airport.<<<

Where do you hear such stories?

Rome airport isn't any different than every other airport. Don't leave your belongings unattended. Don't put anything you don't want to lose in your checked luggage. That applies to every airport, not just Rome.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 07:30 AM
DAX

I agree with others, Rome is not that much worse than New York, it also depends on how you travel. Do you take public transportation or taxi/pick up service. Last year we did witness a group of 5-6 year old gypsy children in training at the Termini train station. A cute 5 year old walking in front of me was picking stuff out of the backpack in front of her as we were jamming to get out of the overly crowded station (crowded like getting out of the ball game). I alerted the guy from the back that he was being pickpocketed and he turned around, grabbed his iPod back and smacked the little girl really hard. When the girl cried, the mother hen started yelling from behind me at the guy for hitting a little girl and she gathered about 10 other kids who were spread out among the crowd to pick pocket. That was the last time we ever took the underground to the Termini, mostly because we didn't like fighting our way out like sardines out of the can. I put my phone and wallet in my front pants pockets as soon as I get into a big crowd. Taxis are worth it if there's more than one of you. In the cooler weather you can always put everything in your jacket inner pockets.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 09:26 AM

Don't know where you're hearing these horro stories. Have been to Rome a dozen times and have never had anything stolen - ot seen it happen to anyone.

As long as you use the normal precautions yuo use everywhere else you should be fine.

Caveat: I hae never taken the infamous tourist bus that head from Central Rome out to the Vatican (where I understand there is a lot of pickpocketing). In Rome we walk almost everywhere (but we always stay centrally) or grab a cab if our feet give out.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 10:55 AM

...you are more likely to run into a problem with the cab
driver that delivers you to the airport. Some of those
fellas are the real experts at 'picking your pocket'.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 12:13 PM

I have flown to FCO and then taken the train to Termini many times.I have never had any problems(not saying that they can't happen).
I agree with all of the above. However I would like to add that I do carry a back pack. Once I have collected my luggage, I put combo locks on everything that has a zipper.
This adds a little more security for my peace of mind. I still do let my bags out of my sight, not even for a second.
On the Leonardo express i just keep my bags in front of me as well. I do put them on any racks. The ride is short enough.
Once I am at termini I will still take a bus to my lodgings. Again keeping all bags at my feet and my backpack in front of me as well as keeping the zippers turned intoward my body.
I have taken all of the "infamous" buses and was never pickpocketed. Again, not saying that it can't happen, just use precautions and common sense
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM

If you are an experienced traveler who knows how to take normal precautions, Fiumicino airport is a non-issue. Go and enjoy.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 04:17 PM
DAX

"...you are more likely to run into a problem with the cabdriver that delivers you to the airport. Some of those fellas are the real experts at 'picking your pocket'.

By law, taxi ride to/from the airport has a set price (45€) regardless of the route the driver takes, so you never have to worry.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 04:19 PM

Agree - taxi drivers aren't a problem if you have you wits about you and speak some Italian. Just like anywhere.
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 04:32 PM
DAX

Ironically our daughter's friend got robbed while she was sleeping inside her hotel room in Rome this summer, the sad thing was she and her brother worked and saved up all that cash for their food and shopping. It was their first trip to Europe so they were not experienced enough to know not to carry so much cash with them and not to put it all in one place.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 01:50 PM

I flew to FCO 2 days ago. We did not check,luggage. Absolutely no problems. We of course made sure that all,of our valuables were secured--money belts, etc. From FCO we went to Termini and then to Florence. We had to leave our luggage near the door on the train to Florence but deapite my discomfort the luggage was there when we arrived.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. As it stands I have now been in and out of FCO 6 times since posting. Zero problems with theft, though getting to the ticket counter (the first security) is always problematic and rather trying for one reason or another! Thanks again all.