Road Atlas for Scotland

Old Nov 8th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Atlas for Scotland

I need to buy a coil bound road Atlas for Scotland. Does anyone have an opinion about which one is best?
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 12:14 PM

I still have my dog-eared Michelin UK...used it for the past ten years. Sure, there are changes, but not monumental..two-lane roads made into Motorways, etc..but by and large, it's nearly as effective now as it was ten years ago. Scotland is well-covered. It's coil-bound, and severa times times I would copy the pages I wanted to take along rather than take the bulky atlas. Happy travels!
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tower,
As much as I am dying to get my hands on one now, I won't buy it until I get there so I don't have to carry it. I have been using an ordnance survey map (thanks Indy Dad) for planning, but it is unsuitable for using in the car. Copying the pages for future trips would be a good idea.
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 01:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Any road atlas will do as long as it is a large enough scale - there are many to choose from. They are sold in most news agents, book shops, petrol stations, and tourist offices.

Often service stations have them for £3 or £4.
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 01:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
meant to add . . . I used to keep them for years, but they are so inexpensive that I don't schlepp them to the Uk and home again.

I prefer using intact road atlases rather than ripping them apart. They are much easier to use in the car if they are loose pages.
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 01:50 PM
ESW

We've always used the AA three inches to one mile road atlas. They are clear, easy to use and the best readily available. They cover all of the UK and can easily be picked up for a few pounds. They are available spiral bound, although these aren't as easily found.

Details of all the current atlases are here. (But you can buy them cheaper elsewhere.)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AA-Glovebo...p2054897.l4275.

The A3 size atlases are pretty big to use but you do get a reasonable coverage on a page.

Doing a google search I came across the AA Glovebox Atlas Scotland which is spiral bound. The latest edition is 2102. It is out of stock on the AA website but can still be bought off ebay or Amazon.
Old Nov 8th, 2014, 09:35 PM

Every substantial petrol station and motorway service station will offer a range for about £3-£5. It's very unlikely any bookshop - even Stanford's in London - will have the specific atlas you might have chosen as "best" in stock.

All British national road atlases are commoditifed: A3, A4 or A5 in size, with scales between 3 and 8 miles to the inch. Virtually none differ in their features, coverage or legibility in any other way - though for Scotland you might need to check on outer islands. We used to keep a range of city A-Zs at home, but the need for them has really been overtaken by satnavs.

Unless you've got some unusual complexity in your logistics, there's absolutely no point going out of your way to find a bookshop, or spending more to have one posted to you. The easiest thing is usually to print off at home Google maps for your first hour's car hire, then stop at the first motorway service station and compare the offer in its petrol station and the Smith's in its main building.
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 03:35 AM

Or at a large supermarket, usually in the magazine section. Often they stock a cheap 2015 AA Road Atlas for the whole of Great Britain at 4 miles to an inch for £1.99.
http://www.theworks.co.uk/p/road-atl.../9780749576141
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! We will be carless but in Glasgow and Edinburgh for the first part of our trip, so I shall have lots of time to pick one up before I get our car. We will also have our GPS, but I don't always trust her and, besides, I love looking at maps. It's part of the joy of travel. Can't wait!!
Old Nov 9th, 2014, 08:17 AM
ESW

Hooray for someone who appreciates the value of maps above GPS.