Hotel GIULIANA in Rome,Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: Has anybody stayed or heard of Hotel GIULIANA in Rome,Italy?Any experiences...please let me know asap.Thnks

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 04:03 PM

You might try to put <giuliana rome> -- without the arrows -- into the search box.

It's near Roma Termini, which would not be my preferred area in Rome, but on a good street, I think.

There are many reviews at www.tripadvisor.com.

I admit that this is really no concern of mine, but if you are looking at a four-star in Venice -- Palazzo del Selvadego -- why are you looking at a two-star in Rome?
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi Eloise
I am just going thru various sites and trying to get a decent deal.A coupl of hours back the rate for Palazzo del Selvadego was 130 Euros and now it's sold out.Just need to stay at a place which is safe,clean and is convenient to go to landmarks in the city.I am looking at hotels between 120 to 160 Euros.Fodors has given some good reviews on Giuliana and so has tripadvisor.I spoke to the receptionist at giuliana and he seemed to be very helpful..hv gone ahead and booked it.Hopefully will have a pleasant experience.
Thnx for the advice though.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Hello, Aparna,

Thank you for your kind reply to my unwarranted question.

May I ask another? Where did you find a rate of 130 Euro for the Palazzo de Selvadego? I've never had any luck at all with the hotel discount sites, although there are thousands of them out there. If there's one that actually works, I would be very grateful to know which one it is.

Many thanks in advance, and enjoy Italy!

Eloise
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi Eloise
I had found a rate of 130 euro for Pallazo in the travelocity site yesterday evening.I guess i took too much time deciding and in a few mins it was sold out
I am still looking for a hotel in Venice and Florence.
Have been checking venere.com
I found a few hotels in Venice...u cld check lacalcina.com.It seems pretty good and central.Has got good reviews in tripadvisor.Since this is my first time to Venice, don't have much of an idea about the neighbourhoods.Frnds who hv been to Venice recommend me to stay around St Mark's Square.However if you hv any suggestions,it will be welcome.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Hello again, Aparna, and thanks!

I've looked at Travelocity a thousand times and never found anything as good. I guess it's the luck of the draw!

La Calcina gets absolute raves from everyone on this Web site; I hope you will be able to reserve there. But it is in Dorsoduro, not San Marco. And many people enjoy being out of the day-tripper madness in San Marco.

Another place often recommended here is the Pensione Accademia Villa Maravege, but it's also not in San Marco.

In San Marco, I have seen good reviews here of the Hotel Ala.

I know Venice quite well, having been there quite a few times. And believe me, I have experienced everything from the sublime (the Gritti Palace 30 years ago when it was absolutely perfect from all points of view; I understand it's now a little worn around the edges) to the ridiculous (a tiny but very clean guest house in a good location in San Polo for something like 65 Euro for a double, single use).

It has been years and years since I have stayed there, but you might look at the Hotel Bisanzio; it's a Best Western (Best Westerns in Europe are all privately owned and not cookie-cutter at all) on a quiet calle in San Marco.

If you don't mind something that has only six or ten rooms, you might look at La Residenza; it's in Castello, four or five bridges along the Riva degli Schiavoni from the Bridge of Sighs and in a bit, on a quiet campo.

I once stayed at the Hotel Concordia, which actually has (tiny, but most rooms in Venice are small) rooms that look out on the Piazza San Marco, but I hated it and would urge you to avoid it.

Thanks again for replying, and good luck! I love Italy, and I hope you will too!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions.I had a question...wld u suggest to stay around Lido?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:57 PM

No, absolutely not! Never! Don't even think about it!

(I think you get the idea...)

You have to experience Venice in the late evening. That is really when it exercises its unique charm most powerfully, in quiet, tiny calli where you will not encounter another soul, in campi that are filled with people sitting in cafés and enjoying themselves, and heck, in Piazza San Marco at least once! You'll pay a small fortune for whatever you order, but you will see the façade of the Basilica San Marco lit up, hear the battling orchestras, and sit in what has been called -- I think by Napoleon -- the most beautiful living room of Europe. Surely you want to experience all that instead of worrying about when the last vaporetto leaves for the Lido!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Eloise for all the suggestions.I have finally gone ahead and booked a hotel in Venice around Santa Croce.It is called Antiche Figure.It's a b&B and has got great reviews on tripadvisor.It is opposite the Santa Lucia Station and in front of the Grand Canal.Have got it through hotels.com in 187 USD.Also got an upgrade for 40 E to get a canal view.Will be staying for 3 nights.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you found something you like. Please enjoy Venice as much as I do.