Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Riviera or Provence for Bastille Day (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/riviera-or-provence-for-bastille-day-433047/)

biggy47 May 18th, 2004 01:09 PM

Riviera or Provence for Bastille Day

My husband and I are taking a train south from Paris on the 13th of July. We are debating between Cannes/Nice and Provence for a respite before heading to Bavaria and Austria. Any suggestions on a place to enjoy Bastille day and a few good days of r and r before hitting the trail?

Underhill May 18th, 2004 01:48 PM

The Riviera--known in France as the Côte d'Azur, or azure coast) is actually part of Provence, the southeastern part. What route will you be taking to Austria and Bavaria? For R&R including beaches, Cannes would be best, as it has at least one sand beach; those nearer to Nice are pebbles. Cannes would also be a great place for fireworks on Bastille Day--and parties, too.

Surfergirl May 18th, 2004 02:41 PM

Cannes has really nice fireworks over the water, so the best view is right at the waterfront. You can also go on one of their excursion boats to watch the fireworks (it comes with free champagne), or just grab some picnic grub and hang out by the marina or on the beach. The fireworks start around 10 p.m.

ira May 18th, 2004 02:50 PM

Hi biggy,

You don't want to be in Paris for Bastille Day?

Surfergirl May 18th, 2004 06:53 PM

Ira, have you been to Paris on Bastille Day? It will be my 3rd time this summer!

marcy_ May 18th, 2004 07:27 PM

surfergirl,
Any advice on the best place to see the fireworks? We'll be there this year too.

biggy47 May 19th, 2004 06:20 PM

Thanks for the help so far. Sounds like Cannes is getting the nod. We leave Paris on the 13th. Don't like big crowds.
Any suggestions for places to stay in Cannes.

Surfergirl May 20th, 2004 05:53 AM

Marcy, are you talking about Cannes or Paris? I have info for both.

ira May 20th, 2004 07:12 AM

Hi surf,

Yes. I thought it was a lot of fun.

Underhill May 20th, 2004 08:06 AM

What's your price range for Cannes?

marcy_ May 20th, 2004 08:15 AM

Surfergirl,
We'll be in Paris. Unfortunately we won't get there until afternoon, so we'll miss the parties the night before and the parade. I want to make sure to get a good spot for the fireworks.

Surfergirl May 20th, 2004 06:25 PM

Marcy, the BEST place is on the boat cruise; either Vedettes de Paris or Bateaux Parisiennes. They both have websites. Ask for the Croisiere speciale, which goes out for the cruise at about 8 p.m., then returns to the place where it started at the quay directly in front of the fireworks (Eiffel Tower right behind you). You can take the one with dinner or the one without. Bring wine and cheese if you don't do the dinner. Contact them a month before-hand, and ask that they send the tickets to your hotel. They will send you the tickets and passes to go on the quay, which you will need, since the police will not let you pass unless you have them.

If you do not head over to the Eiffel Tower, you will miss the music that is choreographed to the fireworks and will miss such a beautiful combination of sights and sound. Meaning, if you are far away, say at Montmartre to view the fireworks only, you miss half the pleasure.

marcy_ May 20th, 2004 06:31 PM

Surfergirl,
Thanks so much! I think the boat cruise sounds perfect. I really appreciate your help!

SalB May 20th, 2004 08:47 PM

You don't like big crowds and you're going to the Riviera on Bastille Day? Whoa. Everyone in France goes to the Riviera on Bastille Day. Enjoy the crowds.

Enjoy the fireworks too! ((@))

NYerr Jun 4th, 2004 08:04 PM

When in Cannes to see the fireworks, we had dinner on the beach of the Hotel Martinez. They set up special for the fireworks and it is extraordinary viewing. You can contact the concierge at the hotels in Cannes to see what they have planned. I would stay at the Majestic instead of the Martinez. The Intercontinental is also top notch.