Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

River Seine Dinner Cruise with Bateaux Parisiens? or other suggestions?

Old Nov 11th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys,

Question about the dinner cruise on RIver Seine
i've read few threads about River Seine tours. most people suggested about having a nice dinner somewhere else and then take a 1hr cruise at sunset. I appreciated all the comments. they were really helpful! however, I do have few questions still...

I have looked into alot of companies does dinner cruise. Bateaux Parisiens' looks very nice (at least from their web). We are really interested in doing one romantic dinner with them. has anyone taken this cruise before? we want to do the 6:30-8:00 essential dinner with window seats for 75euro. is it worth the money?
Because we want to do it Jan 1st, 2012. I checked the sunset time, its around 5pm. which means if we take this cruise, we wont see the sunset at all. its gonna be all in the dark. are we gonna miss out alot of stuff if we do it all in the dark? should we do a 1hr boat tour around 4:30 and then have dinner after instead?
I realized alot of the 1hr boat tour has radio guide. i assume the dinner ones dont. am i right? i guess it would be helpful with the guide as its going to be our first time to Paris.

and any suggestion for good restaurants in Paris?

thanks in advance!
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

thanks "tnrequinpascher" for the reply!
we looooove shopping too! any suggestion on great shopping areas in Paris? =]
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Jennyyy

tnrequin whatever is only here to advertise their website. Ignore them.

Your questions are a little confusing. Is it 75 euro per person? Good lord, you can do a lot better.

It will be dark. You can see the lights along the Seine, and lots of sites on the riverbank. They will be lit.

However, if you were hoping to catch a sunset, I think you need to reconsider all of this.

Jan. 1 may be cold. It may be freezing. It may be raining. Paris isn't a great sunset city. If you catch one, terrific, but it's not the kind of place you go to see the sun set.

Jan. 1 will also be a very short day.

OK, so I beg you to dismiss your sunset hopes. Now why do you want to do a dinner cruise when reviews of dinner cruises are so consistently negative? You think it will be romantic?

Sometimes Seine tour boats have giant lights and hideous loud speakers. Kills romance. Plus you'll be in a large floating mediocre restaurant. In the dead of winter. On a river. This doesn't add up to romance.

I think at this time of year, the best thing to do is hope you catch a bright day, and then head to the Vedettes Pont Neuf for a cruise on the Seine in the daylight. Smaller boats, less intrusive, and they have a coupon on line.

Have a romantic dinner at any number of nice restaurants. There's a long thread running right now with discussion of several places.

What do you want to spend?

I can't say that I know a lot about shopping in Paris. My favorite window shopping is in the Marais where there are many fascinating small stores.

In a couple of weeks I'll be staying in St Germain, and I hope to learn something about window shopping in that area. You can also look up the Grand Magasins, or department stores, which are big attractions.

We never set out to shop, but as we tour the city, usually headed to a museum or art exhibit, we always pass attractive and interesting stores. I'm sure there are more experienced shoppers here to advise you. There are also several guidebooks that concentrate on, or at least deeply cover, shopping.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 08:57 PM

I second the Vedettes du Pont Neuf boats suggestion of Tuscanlifeedit. http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/
They cost less and take about the same route as the larger boats. Besides, walking across the Isle de la Citi to get to the boats is special.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 09:30 PM

We're also big fans of Vedettes du Pont Neuf. I like the smaller boats, and the departure point works well for us, as we stay in St. Germain.

We're big foodies, so would rather have a dinner where the focus is the food, not the view. That's not everyone's choice, though.

On the nightime cruises, you'll see a lot, actually. All the notable buildings are lit, and the sights are magical - whether you take a dinner cruise or a nighttime cruise without food. And because the boat will go down, then up the river, you'll get a chance to view the buildings and other sights on both sides of the river (except for the part where the boat goes around Ile St. Louis).

It looks like, though, that the dinner cruises do not have a commentary, but you could ask the people at Bateaux Parisien to be sure.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 05:07 AM

We also like the Vedettes du Pont Neuf. We take a cruise before sunset and watch the lights come on all over Paris - it is a magical sight. Since you will be there in January, sunset will be much to early for dinner - around 4:30. Suggeat that you take the cruuise and then have dinner at a romantic restaurant. Do a search on this board for "romantic restaurants in Paris".
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 06:50 AM
P_M

Do the night time or sunset cruise but not a dinner cruise. They might put you in the middle of the boat where you can't see anything. The food is overpriced and no better than what you can get at a restaurant. The dinner cruise is my only regret about my trip to Paris.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 06:53 AM

When you want a great meal, see a chef. When you want a great boat ride, see a captain. Very seldom is one a master of both.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

thank you soooo much guys for all the information!

the dinner cruise with Bateaux Parisiens is 75euro per person. they have very nice boat with all glass cover including the top. and the boat is heated. so i initially thought it would be great to see things while having a nice dinner. but it seems like everyone thinks i could get much better dinner at other place with this money. thanks guys for the suggestion. i'll start look into some restaurant.

about Vedettes du Pont Neuf boats, I checked their website. price is great, 8euro purchasing on line! from their vedios, seems like there are two levels, bottom has partially glass cover near the sides, middle part cover is the floor for the top terrance. I read reviews in past years about this cruise, most people suggested to go to the top of this cruise where can get better views. for our situation, in the cold winter, we probably will sit downstairs. people taken this cruise before, hows the view from downstairs?

tuscanlifeedit, thanks for your reply =] sorry for being confusing. lol sunset is not my focus. i have seem people on the internet saying about how during sunset time of paris, everything starts to light up, its very magical. lol. thats why i was considering doing a cruise during the sunset time. lol. thanks for advise on Marais area. i love local stores, hopping to find some interesting home decros =]
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 07:40 AM

My guess is that for 75 euros, which according to you includes dinner and the cruise, the dinner is not going to be very good. You're probably better off taking the cruise and having dinner elsewhere, if that's what your budget is.

I think you're going to get a lot of debate about whether to take the dinner cruise. The one we took (can't remember the company name) was a lot more expensive than 75 euros,included wine, drinks and dancing, plus an outside window table for two. You can go cheaper -- inside table with other people, not drinks -- but we figured screw that, it's only money. How often are we going to go to Paris? We enjoyed it, and friends who've taken it also enjoyed it. The food was good, not great, and the service was very good.

Some people are going to call it touristy. It is. So is the Eiffel Tower. Some people are going to say you can get a better dinner for less money. You can, but it won't be while you're cruising the Seine at night.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM

The last time we took the Vedette du pon neuf cruise was at 7 pm in late October on a very cool day. The boat was not full, not even half full, on a Friday night. We spent most of our time upstairs, standing, and I would go downstairs when I needed to warm up. The views aren't as good from downstairs, but you will probably be able to go back and forth, as I did.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

the dinner cruise i looked into, with 75euro. only coffee and mineral water. no wine. they also have ones with better food +wine, 3 hr trip on cruise. very nice but over 100+euro. a little over budget already. especially in the winter, not sure if its gonna turn out nice. if we have chance to go in the summer again, might reconsider the dinner cruise =]

for Vedette du pon neuf cruise, in the winter, they run at 10:30, 11:15, 12:00, 14:00, 14:45, 15:30, 16:15, 17:00, 17:45, 18:30, 20:00, 21:00, 22:00. the sunset time at the time we are going is 5pm. if we take the ones at 16:15 or 17:00, we'd probably be able to see the city lights up.
i know Tour Eiffel starts light up at sunset, and then twinkles every hour on the hour. from previous threads, people said if take the Vedette du pon neuf cruise at half hour at night, it will be around Tour Eiffel on the hour, and will be able to see it twinkle. from their winter schedule, if we want to see it twinkle, we will have to take the 18:30 one. with this one, we wont see the process of the city lights up any more.
does anyone know any other cruise will be able to do both?
thanks
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
jenny - I've been to Paris lots of time, never done a dinner cruise yet. i especially wouldn't do one in the winter and absolutely not where they want €75 pp for a meal without wine. the chance of its being a rip off is very high, IMHO.

Do what other posters have suggested - take the day-time cruise on a nice day, and save your money - approx €67 each! - for a very good dinner on terra firma.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 11:08 AM

Taking a cruise on the Seine is fine - although I would do it in the daytime - when you can seem much more.

Eating on one of these boats is a terrible idea. the food is mediocre at best - and may be worse. they are VERY expensive, not in the least romantic (floating down a very narrow, dark river with a pack of other tourists - probably many from tour groups).

If you want romantic pick a really nice romantic restaurant and go have a lovely restaurant with wine. And then you won;t have to eat dinner at 6:30 in the afternoon either. To me the most romantic part is walking home from the restaurant through the pretty or quaint square - with some buildings fllodlit - assuming the weather cooperates. (The wether is another major issue eating o the boat - what if it is snowing, sleeting or raining.)
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM

I second the idea of a night cruise on Vedettes. Only concern would be what rests are open NY day.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

thanks guys for suggestion. we have decided to take 1 hr tour instead of the dinner cruise. =]
we are still struggling with the day time or night... as during the day, we probably see more stuff; during evening, when the whole city lights up, its quiet unique as well. =] dont think the whether will be a problem, since at least the bottom floor is covered if it gets cold or raining.

theres nothing about special price on with difference cruise company on NY day. they only raised price for NY eve midnight cruise. so, i assume its still around 10euro =]
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 02:21 PM

Paris is the City of Lights..a night time cruise will confirm why.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM

The Vedettes du Pont Neuf cruises are so good and reasonable that you could take one during the day and then one some other evening. Very different experiences. There are nice restaurants to eat at in Square Dauphine, near where you get on the boats.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 05:41 PM
P_M

Why not do both day and night cruises? These are different experiences but equally good. If I could only do one it would be night, but if time allows you could do both.
Old Nov 12th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks guys for the advise. i guess we'd do both! =]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -