Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   river cruise on the Seine (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/river-cruise-on-the-seine-666937/)

AliRN Dec 29th, 2006 05:19 PM

river cruise on the Seine

Can anyone recommend a company that offers river cruises of the Seine. We would like to go at night. Also wondering if our luggage can be stored at the train station for a few hours before out train leaves as check out time at our apartment is a 10:00 am and our train leaves at 7:00 pm
Thanks

sparks Dec 29th, 2006 06:12 PM

I have been collecting info for our trip to paris in may & on another board came across a recommendation ofr Batobus at this address: http://www.batobus.com/english/boat-...ris-seine.html

P_M Dec 29th, 2006 06:39 PM

I highly recommend a river cruise, but not a dinner cruise. The food is overpriced and not so good.

xrcizfanatic Dec 29th, 2006 08:47 PM

Batobus would not be a good choice if you are wanting a guided cruise. It offers only "hop-on, hop-off" service which will take you to different stops along the Seine. For a cruise with guided commentary (in English and 12 other languages), I recommend Bateaux Parisiens, which boards near the Eiffel Tower (at Pont d'lena). The cruise is about an hour long and seating is available on the outer deck or inside a heated area enclosed in glass, which is nice in the winter time. I agree with the previous response that you should skip the dinner cruise -very expensive and the food is mediocre, at best. www.bateauxparisiens.com
Have a great time in Paris!!

janisj Dec 29th, 2006 08:58 PM

The Vedettes at Pont Neuf are probably the best boat cruises. Smaller boats and a bit less expensive.

kerouac Dec 29th, 2006 10:32 PM

The Bateaux Mouches from Pont de l'Alma offer the longest cruises. Those are the giant boats with the floodlights.

Gretchen Dec 30th, 2006 12:20 AM

The stations that service the TGV trains have a left luggage desk.

tod Dec 30th, 2006 02:30 AM

You could simply leave your luggage at the hotel - most, if not all, have a storeroom of sorts and are very happy to keep it ( they do however hold no responsibility ).
You are then free to take a cruise anytime.
What about a mid-morning one from Vedettes Pont Neuf after which you can wander over to Place Dauphine where you can have a lovely lunch? Can't think of the restaurants name but next door at number 17, is Le Bar Du Caveau.
This eatery appeals to upscale regulars who arrive early and stay late, idling away a lazy Paris afternoon over wine and fellowship.
This lovely little square was home to Yves Montand & Simone Signoret.

tod Dec 30th, 2006 02:34 AM

Oh oh! I see you say apartment - not hotel. Maybe taking it the train station first would be advisable.
If your train leaves at 7pm you don't wany to cut it too fine !

ira Dec 30th, 2006 03:27 AM

Hi A,

>...our train leaves at 7:00 pm
>We would like to go at night.

You would want your cruise to be over by 6:00 PM in order to make your train.

If you buy a Batobus day pass, you could spend the day hopping on and off the boats.

((I))

janisj Dec 30th, 2006 04:18 AM

ira: I was assuming AliRN was asking about two different days: 1)about the river trips while in Paris, and 2) on their last day where to store luggage. Since she mentioned doing the cruise at night I (hopefully) don't think they'd plan a night-time cruise before a 1900 train.

ira Dec 30th, 2006 04:27 AM

Hi janisj

>ira: I was assuming AliRN was asking about two different days: ...<

In that case, she would have written:

"Can anyone recommend a company that offers river cruises of the Seine. We would like to go at night.

[I am also] wondering if our luggage can be stored at the train statio....".

Never assume.

((I))
Being very pedantic. :) :)

AliRN Dec 30th, 2006 06:11 AM

janisj
You are correct! I am asking about 2 seperate issues. We would like to take a night cruise on the Seine on one of the 3 nights we have in Paris. On the last day we must checkout of our apartment at 10:00 and our train leaves at about 8:00 pm. Wondering if all train stations offer luggage storage and if it is safe?
Thanks

kerouac Dec 30th, 2006 06:36 AM

The main train stations have lockers in an X-Ray security zone.

janisj Dec 30th, 2006 07:34 AM

ira: nah, nah, nah :D :p