Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Riva del Garda or other spots between Innsbruck and Venice

Jan 19th, 2000, 04:23 AM
Rex

For all my time here, I have never really asked a question here yet - - and now, rather last minute, looks like I get to pull together a spring break trip for a Munich-Venice circle.

For all you fans of northeastern Italy, can any one give me some info on Riva del Garda? It looks like there are a ton of 1, 2 and three star hotels listed on www.italyhotel.com - - many with good prices (almost suspiciously too good - - isn't this a popular area?) Not much to go on, as far as differentiating features. Anybody know any properties there? And if you have a negative impression of the place, any other low cost stopover you would recommend between Innsbruck and Venice?

This is just intended as an overnight stop between Hall in Tirol (near Innsbruck) and Venice. I realize that this is neither the season for wintertime nor summertime recreational activities (stay there Mar 29).

Many thanks in advance - - looking for input from Bob and twenj, in particular (but everyone else too).

Rex

Jan 19th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Paulo

What can I tell you, Rex?
I never spent a night in Riva and I don't remember which's which among the big number of hotels in the city, with the exception of the Hotel du Lac, the best in town (I once had lunch in one of its restaurants).
Riva is the biggest, oldest and most traditional resort town around the lake, and has facilities to hold congresses. The big action unfolds in winter (it started off as a winter resort at the turn of last century) and summer. In between the room offer is much higher than demand ... explaining the unbelievable rates you got. In the last 15 years tourism shifted south and west of the lake. In summer the hotels in Riva are actually the last to fill up. When I'm touring the area, I stay at hotel Gardesana in Torri del Benaco (a much closer drive from Verona at 2am when an opera performance finishes!).
Regarding other options it really depends on your plans ... As you know, south of the Brenner Pass there are at least 3 routes you may take to Venice. Apparently you're thinking in taking the fast route ... Innsbruck - Verona - Venice. This is ok if you intend visiting Lake Garda, Verona and/or Vicenza. One other route would be through the Dolomites. Before hitting Bressanone (south of the Brennero), you fork left into the beautiful Vale Pusteria. Before hitting Dobiaco you fork right to Cortina. Then you follow the Piave valley, Treviso ... to Venice. Finally, you may drive from Brenero to Chiusa and fork into Val Gardena and, from there either to Cortina, etc., or to San Martino di Castrozza, Bassano del Grappa, Pádua ...
Taking either of these alternative routes I don't believe you'll have difficulty in finding a nice cheap place to sleep on the run (without reservations).
Paulo

Jan 19th, 2000, 11:06 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Rex, I am surprised you didn't email me
directly--I know this area well. First,
I like Riva alot but it will be a bit
chilly to take advantage of the the boat
tips to Malcesine et al. My favorite hotel is The Sole---a 4 star at the best
location in town opposite the marina.
Close to there is The Europa---a decent
3 star you can booh thru Best Western.
Both are ideal locations to explore this
resort village. Another option is the
Val Gardena and specifically Ortisei.
A delightful Ladin ski resort that you will love. Not far off the Autostada, it
has several good hotels and a great web
site[ Val Gardena] I have stayed at the
Angelo-Engel--a good 3 star, but the best in town is the Hotel Adler--a very
nice 4 star in th heart of town. You should get good prices after Easter.
As Paulo suggests, from here you can take the back roads over the Sella pass
and then back to the big red road near
Bolzano, or see all of the Dolomites by
going all the way to Cortina and then
south to Venice via Belluno. Either way
will be memorable depending on time.

Jan 19th, 2000, 11:33 AM
Rex

Thanks, guys - - will re-research my options in the context of this info. This is basically an intermediate stop (may arrive after dark, and leave early the next morning) - - the goal is just to get closer to Venice and stay cheaply, so as to get a good start on Venice the following day (without actually making it all the way to Venice, and this incurring the higher lodging costs there).

I'm sure it's a place I would like to explore further with a day or two of day light in summery weather, but for now it's a place to sleep for the night, but I don't want Motel Six or Fuengirola-like environment, if it can be helped.

And Bob, it was no slight - - I just support the copncept here - - what I need to know, I figure might help (or just inform) someone else - - thus, better publicly asked questions than private.

Rex

Nov 13th, 2002, 04:50 AM
ttt

topping, for historical interest.

Dec 16th, 2002, 06:40 PM
umm

ohhh.....