Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Riots in Amsterdam? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/riots-in-amsterdam-744601/)

brennynp Oct 24th, 2007 09:24 AM

Riots in Amsterdam?

Does anyone know if the rioting is still going on there? Is it widespead or confined to certain areas? My daughter will be visiting there next week.

PalenQ Oct 24th, 2007 09:27 AM

what rioting? over what? where?

follow Amsterdam pretty close and haven't heard of these riots

please edify me

brennynp Oct 24th, 2007 09:32 AM

Read it on Instapundit a few days ago and recently on the Dutch blog Klein Verzet. I was surprised to find out it was still going on.

PalenQ Oct 24th, 2007 09:33 AM

OK a quick Google says about 100 Moslem youths rioted in Slotervaart, a section of the city few folks would ever be in.

not in the center of town though apparently anti-monarchists held some kind of rally there that turned violent

i saw many many riots in Amsterdam in the 70s and 80s - there were ones daily almost it seemed and the tourist will never be effected by these as they are localized and you can easily stay away

anarchy is not running all over Amsterdam and i would have absolutely no worry if my son or daughter were visiting anytime.

Dukey Oct 24th, 2007 11:21 AM

i wonder if the "lager louts" will be rioting at Wembley during the upcoming "blouseball" match. Any ideas on that one, Pal?

Ooops, I forgot..Flanner won't be attending so I guess not.

PalenQ Oct 24th, 2007 11:21 AM

Maybe some of our Dutch Fodorfriends will comment

hetismij Oct 24th, 2007 11:55 AM

They are hardly riots.
A few days ago a mentally distubed man entered a police station in Slotervaart, which is most definitely not on the Tourist route, and he attacked two police officers with a knife. One was stabbed in the neck, cutting his jugular.
The man was shot and killed. The officers were taken to hospital and survuved.
The man was Moroccan with links to the Hofstede group, a terrorist group in Holland. He had escaped from a mental institution.
Local Moroccans were upset about him being shot, and protested, but upon hearing the full story accepted the police actions. A small group of youths took the opportunity to take it further and have burned a few cars, mostly one a night, for a few nights. The majority of the residents of Slotervaart condemned the actions of this small group of youths. The local Mosque issued a manifest condemning the action also.
Hardly the same as in Paris

eurogals Oct 24th, 2007 11:57 AM

Returned on Friday, October 19th from Amsterdam where I spent 4 days.

Read the local newspaper in English and watched the news in Dutch and did lots of walking and biking and at no time did I see any riots, hear of any riots or feel the least bit unsafe.

Travelnut Oct 24th, 2007 01:36 PM

"..A small group of youths took the opportunity to take it further and have burned a few cars.."

must have been French on holiday.. :)

waring Oct 24th, 2007 01:44 PM

Believe this or not.

I once witnessed a French demonstration (I forget what for) where a man was hammering the hell out of a car with a sledgehammer and the Gendarmes were standing by doing nothing.

On questionning this, I was informed that the car was his own and that he had obtained a permit to wreck his own car in public.