Riot at Gare du Nord

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Riot at Gare du Nord

It might be worth pointing out that a riot has been going on in the RER station of Gare du Nord since this afternoon. That's about 5 or 6 hours now. It started as a ticket control incident with suburban youth. Nothing to worry about -- everything will be calm by tomorrow, but anybody going through the Gare du Nord station tomorrow should not be surprised to see the stores trashed and looted and lots of other broken things.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad but interesting - there always seems to be a huge police, even military presence in this hectic station and this is why i guess.

Hate to be a novice traveler say taking Eurostar and run into that.

Thanks for report.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:57 AM

So are all the trains going to Gare du Nord as usual?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the trains are still running, with police everywhere.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Sorry -- I was wrong. The trains are not stopping for the moment :

Par mesure de sécurité, la RATP a ordonné aux rames de deux lignes importantes de métro et aux rames de la ligne D du RER qui transitent par la gare du Nord de ne plus s'arrêter à la station. En début de soirée, le trafic sur les lignes 4 et 5 du métro ainsi que sur la ligne B du RER n'avait pas toujours pas été rétabli.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Please note that this is in the underground RER station and is not affecting the main line trains, Eurostar, Thalys or non-RER suburban lines.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

All calm at Gare du Nord since midnight. Most of the store owners in the underground shopping mall apparently spent the night in their shops, due to not having windows anymore. Everything should be completely back to normal by the end of the day, but you can bet there will be a heavy police presence for the coming week.

9 arrests, 2 metro employees injured.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:01 AM

When these types of riots occur how does this affect the general mood of the rest of the city and the police presence? Thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

It is already forgotten except for people who pass through Gare du Nord every day. People are more interested in the spring weather and the upcoming elections.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Merci Kerouac. Why were the youth so angry?
Does any body konw.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:55 AM

relegated to grimy crimy suburban tenements... no hope of good jobs... poor schools... social workers who could care less... racism perceived - nearly no people of color or Moslems in any high office or in corporate world...

let's see ... constant police checks of their Identity Cards, and on and on and on.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:07 AM
tod

I always wonder why the 'youth' who are demonstrating must turn on the poor old shopkeepers and wreck and loot their stores?
It happens all over the world when riots are going on. Do you think the 'youths' doing the wrecking are not interested in the cause, but are common thieves joining in under the pretenses of demonstrating and causing a fraca?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Tod you seem to be so right. Unless they are common thugs and thieves why target shop keepers, many of whom are also immigrants trying to make a living. These riots are usually just a front for looting and stealing, and it matters not if it is in Paris of Podunk. Thugs be thugs anywhere in the world.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:21 AM

alienation and being relegated to the dregs of society can also cause someone to become a criminal.

Jacques Chirac can legally loot the Parisian Treasury when he was Mayor with the real estate deals and not be charged for stealing thousands.

A poor suburban youth steals a car and gets put away - Chirac becomes President!

Thugs would be thugs anywhere in the world - even in the Elysees Palace!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:48 AM

"alienation and being relegated to the dregs of society"

I wonder what causes that?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM

“…relegated to grimy crimy suburban tenements... no hope of good jobs... poor schools... social workers who could care less... racism perceived - nearly no people of color or Moslems in any high office or in corporate world...”

All true and all directly related to virtually unregulated and unrestrained immigration in the name of Political Correctness…we have to let anyone in even though there is no place for them to live and no work for them to do…

The actual reason for the problem was when police stopped a 30+ year old jumping the barrier rather than buying a ticket. I’ve seen it countless times whenever I am in Paris…but I’ve rarely seen it anywhere else and I’ve never seen it in London which obviously has one of the most extensive systems on earth.

The rule of law and the respect of the laws in the country where you live and visit go a long way to prevent this nonsense. But then it’s always easier to blame the authorities for doing their job than it is to take responsibility for anarchy.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM

institutional racism

during the riots a bit back on French TV such youths were saying that sometimes they are checked for their identity cards several times a day. Sorry you can't see how this could alienate one... until it happens to us.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Unfortunately, most of these thugs are second generation, born on French soil, so they cannot be deported. I have had friends threatened on the RER around Gare du Nord, probably by the same gangs of thugs.

I'm sorry, but this sense of entitlement is used as an excuse for antisocial behavior. The unfortunate thing is that the victims are often immigrants themselves, those who have worked to attain something and have managed to assimilate. There are many, and they are just as repulsed by these kids as anyone else.

I hate to tell you, but the "dregs" in France are better than the life most of these people would have led had their parents remained in place.

The laws are changing to integrate more minorities into the work force. It will be interesting to see how many of these gang bangers will choose to work and how many will find it more lucrative to operate on the other side of the law.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM

I think it's a no-brainer also that you do not isolated thousands of these 'thugs' in vast housing projects that become a breeding ground of crime - where young kids only role model of success are the thugs and drugs dealers.

yes integrate into society - spread the government housing around.

Duh - put em all together and you have a recipe for disaster, no matter how you feel about their entitlement.

Sarkozy will clean up the mess - sure, like he did during the last wide-scale riots!

I'd deport him back to Eastern Europe but supposed since he's 2nd generation this thug you're stuck with.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 08:30 AM

That I can't disagree with, PalenQ.

As to Shark-ozy, I hope we're not stuck with him. Anything can happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -