Rioja festival 2003

Aug 28th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Rioja festival 2003

Hi,

I've been having some trouble looking for the exact dates of the Rioja festival this year. I know it's around Sept 21st - but when does it start and end?

Since we're heading for it, we'll probably be staying in Logroño. Does anyone have any recommendation for a cool place to stay in? It doesn't have to be 5-stars .. just somewhere nice and decent. I'm not sure if B&Bs exist in Spain, but somewhere with locals would be nice.

But failing that, a nice, small hotel would do too.

We'll be in La Rioja for a week. I've bought the book by Scarborough but if anyone has any "must-see", "must-eat" or "must-drink" places - please let me know.

Thanks,
Nanda.
Aug 28th, 2003, 07:17 AM

ttt
Aug 28th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Aug 29th, 2003, 03:15 AM

Hi Nanda,

I don't know what you mean with Rioja Festival, but it looks as if you mean the big festival week of Logroño, capital town of La Rioja. It is called "Sanmateos" (Saint Matthew being the saint patron of Logroño), and yes, the big day is the 21st of September. They usually run from the 20th to the 27th of September.

About hotels in Logroño, I cannot recommend you any. We usually go there in daytrips, and if you think of staying outside the city, doing a search in Fodors will bring up quite a few good recommendations (mostly done by Maribel, a "walking encyclopedia" ).

Enjoy the party,
Cova
Aug 29th, 2003, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cova,

Thanks for your response. I read on the web that this wine festival is held in conjuction with the saint's day on the 21st. I hope it's the same one. We think it would be a good way to taste the wine the region.

I'm not sure what's around the area to see but I hear the scenery is nice and there are plenty of monasteries with the many altar pieces. We can only see so many churches/monasteries at a time, so that's probably not for us.

I will do that search for Maribel. Thanks.

-- Nanda.

Search this Thread