Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

RIMINI: Is it really like spring break on a beach in Miami?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were thinking of staying here for two nights. We want to visit Ravenna, but thought our teenagers would like some afternoon or morning on a sandy beach before or aterwards.

After reading the archives here over the past 5 years, i've yet to find someone to be enthusiastic about the area.

It seems that there are nicer beaches in the area, but there is a Le Merdien hotel, here, where we can stay for free!
If we travel in late June, stay at a nice hotel, and go to a private beach club, would it still be really sort of a party and mob-scene atmosphere???

By the way, our teens are not at all the types to be interested in going off to discos or bars. They're very much into hanging with us, having a nice dinner, playing catch on the beach, etc.

I would really appreciate some feedback!!
thanks,
dina
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:36 AM

There is a series of resorts along this coast and most are purely recently developed resorts with artificial names like Rivabella or Bellariva.
Rimini is actually an old town. The railway runs parallel to the sea. The beach area on one side is like all the other resorts, but the old town inland is quite attractive.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM

We spent a week in Rimini a few years ago after some Alpine hiking in Germany. The town is very touristy with hotel after hotel. There are really no picturesque areas, although the road along the sea is nice. The beach is not good - that is, the water is questionable - it did not look clean and we did not go in it. The temperature was quite hot and all we had in our room was a little computer fan.The beach was OK but not great. Essentially, I wouldn't go back to this area.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:49 AM

I thought Rimini was a pretty typical beach area. The beach is long, with fine white sand. I thought the water was decent (in 1999), but this could be because I was used to swimming in Torre del Greco, where you had to dodge the trash floating in the water.

I also just looked up "spiagge italiane" on google and Rimini has been recognized by Bandiere Blu (an ecological type beach-watch) for the last several years as being a clean beach.

I also did a "things to do in Rimini" type search and found the following:

-Fellini was born in Rimini and there is a museum dedicated to him and his films.

- 30 km of bike trails that you can ride between the beach and the city of Rimini (bikes available for rental)

- Roman ruins

- A city museum

Lots of other stuff. I don't think you would have any trouble finding things to do. Hope this helps!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Geoff,
Really nice to know that Rimini has an attractive old part of town! thanks.

Emily,
So sorry the water was so dirty! yuck. Well, hopefully, what nnolan says it true -- that they've really cleaned it up!

Nnolan,
Thanks for your tips. Sounds like we'd be fine with stuff to do there.

I'm still a bit worried about the water -- i wonder if italian standards for clean water are the same as US?
Anyone swam in Rimini lately?

Also, wondering if anyone can comment on the party/single scene that so many posters have mentioned in the past.

thanks again!

dina
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

anyone else??
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 01:17 PM

"blue flag" beaches in Italy meet high standards. I would go for the free hotel. I think that a town that names its airport after Federico Fellini is lovable.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rimini has wave breakers, resulting in still and murky water along the shore. No danger for small children but it doesn't look very clean.

I'm not a fan of deck chairs lined up like dominoes along the beach. The water isn't great and sometimes there aren't even umbrellas at the hotel pool.

Luckily, June isn't usually too hot so hotel umbrellas aren't that important. There won't be the crowds in late June since most schools are still in session. I would go if the hotel is clean, noise proof and free. Rimini should be experienced once.