Rijsttafel in Amsterdam

Old Jun 11th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Rijsttafel in Amsterdam

At one time I thought I read some tips on ordering for a Rijsttafel. We are planning to eat at Max in the Jordaan neighborhood. Is anyone familiar with that one? If anyone has suggestions on how to best enjoy this meal - please advise. We are an all female group - and would prefer not to stuff ourselves. Thank you.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 08:16 AM

Can't help, but going in autumn, so bookmarking.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 01:14 PM

That place has great reviews on iens.

Interestingly, they list their Rijsttafel, but without the dishes, so it's a surprise what you will get.

I looked at their menu, and there's seabass in banana leaf with a lemon grass sauce that I would find interesting.

if you look at their menu, the second starters are almost all interesting takes on classic dishes: you might combine these, which gives you more control over the menu. And if you're two at a table and you do that, you can share: that's fun in itself. In that case, I'd order:

the satay, a few portions, the rendang and the vegetable curry, the salad or the aubergine salad and the seabass. and coffee with spekkoek as pudding. they might make you kopi tubruk if you ask for it. If you're with a group, that way you can have many dishes on the table.

http://www.maxrestaurant.nl/#menu
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 01:19 PM

http://www.iens.nl/restaurant/34739/...club-wunderbar

However, can I interest you in Sate Club at Wunderbar?
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 04:13 PM

Aneka Rasa on Warmoesstraat
http://anekarasa.nl/
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 04:22 PM

We ate at Max this May and enjoyed it very much. We (husband and I) did the Rijstaffel, which I believed was priced at 37 euros per person. We did not select individual plates--but I am not sure that was an option. We like to eat and pretty much just said "bring it on."

After a starter, we had the fish (sea bass, I think) which was wonderful. They brought a long platter that had something like 7-9 other items (curries, veggies, satay) that we shared.

The dessert included an Indonesian spice cake and a mango sorbet.

It was all delicious without being overwhelming. The atmosphere and service was nice too.

I am not sure how it compares to the rijstaffel offerings, since this was our only experience, but we left happy.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 04:46 PM

I get the impression from the menu that they combine the Indonesian offerings on the menu into one rijsttafel tasting menu. Which means that if you're a group you'd be better off ordering individual dishes to share with the group and for instance order 3 portions of things like satay.