Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

right after we get to our hotel to check in

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Rachel

Hi, My mom and i were thinking of going straight to the British Museum right after we check in to our hotel. Do you think that's a good idea or should we do something else? We'll be going in august. Thanx!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Just

Rachel, are you for real?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:21 PM
janis

Rachel: It is a good idea to plan something for your first day. BUT not something indoors, overwhelming and very tiring like the British Museum. You'll need fresh air and sunshine on the first jet-lagged day. Take a long walk along the Victoria Embankment or the south bank, take a hop-on-hop-off upen top double decker bus tour, or a wlk through Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens - anything that is outdoors and doesn't take as much concentration as the Brit. Mus.

Stop and have a leisurely lunch - just take it easy.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Vita

I would do something invigorating. For me that means walking around. Personally, I just like to explore on my first day - check out the city - as opposed to visiting one particular site. Everyone's different though. Why don't you keep in mind some things you might want to do and decide what you feel like doing when you get there?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Lori

No-do something outdoors even if it is just walking around. The museum is wonderful, but it's not a good idea to go there first thing off the plane. Get some daylight/sun on your body, it helps set the internal clock so that jet lag is not so bad. We are in Europe every year and as soon as we freshen up we head for the streets to walk around, go to a park, etc. Tell us where you are staying and we can give you some neighborhood ideas. You don't want to overdo it with sightseeing, frankly you won't remember much of what you saw afterwards anyway.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Rachel

I'm staying at the Gresham hyde Park whic is right near Hyde Park,and notting Hill. Thanx for uradvice though. that means alot. see the thing is it very well might be rainin when we get there.So i'm still not sure of what to do incase it rains.Thanx!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:41 AM
janis

Rachel: You will not melt if it rains. Unless it is a freezing downpour (Not likely) you should still spend time outside. A walk along the river or through Kensington Gardens during a summer shower will be one of your favorite memories of London. (If you are only willing to venture outside in warm weather, you may be disappointed.)

just take a small umbrella

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Lori

Follow Janis's advise! Walking in the rain is no problem in London, trust me on that! Since you will be near Hyde Park just amble over there and walk around awhile. Lovely park, lovely lake, etc. Check out Kensington Palace/Gardens (Diana's former home).

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:10 AM
kate

Hi Rachel,
Whenever we arrive in London, it is very early and we are still tired but unable to sleep.So we walk somewhere and have a nice breakfast and just wander until we are tired enough to go back to the hotel and take a nap.
You should keep the day of arrival open to whatever you might feel like.
Check into what is nearest your hotels, if the British is nearby it might not be bad, but you won't really have the energy or attention span to do it much justice.
You should never worry about rain in London.I have been there so many times in the spring and fall and it has only rained once, (maybe we are very lucky) but in August if it is raining, just carry an umbrella.London is wonderful regardless of the weather.
Have a great trip~

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Rachel

Thank you so much for that advice. I don't knwo what i was thinking when i said i don't knwow hat i'll do incase it rains. I know its rainy in London.
Thanx 4 ur advice and I will surely use it !

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Lucy

I would also advise against spending your first day in a museum - I'mm assuming you mean after arriving on a long flight from home. I spent my first day on one of those hop on/hop off double decker bus tours that loop past all the sights. This was relaxing & enabled me to get my bearings for Londons lay out