Riding the subway in Paris

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:40 AM
bill

Riding the subway in Paris

Hi

I was wondering how riding the subway around Paris is at night as far as saftey is concerned. Also how much would a taxi ride from the airport to the Eiffel tower cost?

Thanks

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:01 AM
elvira

The Paris metro is safe at night; the one exception is the Barbes stop (there are others outside the city center, but you wouldn't be there anyway). The metro stops around 1am, so keep that in mind if you need to change trains. There are buses that run all night.

My only taxi/CDG experience has been from the Right Bank, and the cost has been $25-30 with tip.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:08 AM
Tommy

I don't know which post is the dumbest? Can I wear jeans in Europe or is the subway safe in Paris??? No it's not if your wearing jeans with white tennis shoes and a black baseball cap. If your worried about safety stay home.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:30 AM
lou

Calm down, Tommy.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:31 AM
tommy

Oh Tommy-must you be such a prat?
If the question annoys you, read on, why add your very own little negativity?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:51 AM
peggi

We were just there a couple of weeks ago with 2 kids in tow; we rode the Metro extensively within the normal tourist boundaries...even rode it about 10PM back to our hotel in the 15e from Eiffel Tower and had no problems...we did try to be alert, but could not avoid carrying a backpack. We had no trouble; good luck and have fun.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:59 AM
Bob Brown

As far as safety on the Paris Metro is concerned, I have reservations about the whole system. I take the bus when and where I can in preference to the Metro.

Some of my negative feelings derive from a pickpocket's attempt to lift my wallet. He did not take it, but I think it was because he didn't want it.
It had very little in it: $7.00 and a voter registration card. Nothing else, not even my Social Security card; that was at home. My plastic cards and paper money were under my clothes.

How did the pickpocket target me? I am obviously an American. Nothing I can do short of wearing a sack over my head will disguise that fact. The would-be thief was pretending to read the route map over the door. He saw us coming, and as I boarded, he moved to his left and into me. He had it all timed so well that as he brushed past me, he squeezed out the closing door. Had he taken anything, I would have no chance even if I had been aware of what had happened.
How did I find out? Another passenger, who probably was an American, asked me if everything was still in my pockets.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:04 AM
david west

Bob, If you wear a sack over your head they will think you are Welsh.

I have always found the Metro fine, and a great deal easier to navigate than the buses (and I do speak French reasonably).

As Elvira says Barbes is a bit hairy (no pun intended), but that's a reflection of the neighbourhood, and it's unlikely that a tourist would want to go there.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:22 AM
Laura

David West, I agree the metro is generally safe but due to the fact that you speak French realatively well doesn't mean you won't be pickpocketed. Just lucky for you. Your comment to Bob was unkind.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:31 AM
david west

What I meant is that having some French is more use on the buses than the Metro/RER. It is certainly no defence, and I certainly couldn't "pass" as French. I don't know if I look "English" but I'm pretty obviously a tourist in France.

The Metro, like the tube is pretty simple to follow from the schematic map. The buses are not so easy (IMHO). THis is wher the ability to ask passers by etc comes in handy.

I was quite proud of the sack joke. Each to their own. Chacun a son gout.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:27 AM
Bob Brown

The Paris Metro also smells bad.
Perhaps some people don't notice, or think it smells normally.
The last time I tried a sack, people thought I was English. Welch folks have more sense than that.
There are some things a Scotsman cannot stand; being thought English is one of them.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:11 AM
travelin

Lol,
when we were on the Paris Metro, there were plenty of people on those trains that I WISH had bags on their heads!
But unfortunately they just held them out and asked me to put money in them.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:21 AM
SA

Paris is no different than other big cities. Pick pockets & the like choose 'easy targets' & people who are not paying attention to their surroundings. Often times this equates to a tourist. Keep moving, act like you know where you are going & leave the map & guidebook reading to the cafes.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:24 AM
MaryC

LOL, travelin!

bill, this past April, we took a taxi from our hotel (in the 7th on Rue Valadon about a 7 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower and perhaps 4 minutes to the Ecole Militaire which is across from the Eiffel Tower along the Champ de Mars). For 2 people plus tip the cost was 40 euro (about $40). So I imagine the cost would be about the same to take taxi from the airport (CDG) to the Ecole Militaire (which IMHO would be a great place to get an initial look at the Eiffel Tower - then very lovely to walk the parc up to the Tower). : )

Hope that helps. Have a lovely time in Paris!!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:10 PM
felix

I have lived in Chicago my entire life. I am more concerned about riding the El than then Paris Metro. I have been to Paris for a total of 4 days. When I lost my wife on the way to Sacre Coure (Abbesses Metro Stop), I was not worried at all. If I had lost my wife on certain legs of the EL, I would have made funeral arrangements. The Metro is the safest, cleanest public transport that I have ever seen.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:09 PM
yyy

julie/jewels/felix, you have a wife?? You're posting with separate names yet you share one e-mail address.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:10 PM
anon

Yeah, check out favorite anythings in paris thread. strange

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 04:01 AM
ochaye

>There are some things a Scotsman >cannot stand; being thought English is >one of them

....and if you want to outrage an Englishman try mistaking him for a jock. I can remember somebody mistaking my Geordie accent for "lallans". I nearly threw my brown ale over him!

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:23 AM
PJ

Good one Tommy, sometimes people just don't realize how ignorant they are huh?
I agree with you!!

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Amy

Bob, how do you know the pickpocket didn't want your wallet? Did he take it out see just $7 and a voter registration card, then put it back? Perhaps he wasn't trying for it all...and you just imagined it? If he was a pickpocket, he would've taken it.

I felt fine on the Metro, and even rode it up to about 10-11 p.m. Just exercise the same care as you would anywhere else. I work in metro Boston, and the subway here is horrid as far as attractiveness, smell and safety. I'd rather ride the Metro any day.