Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rick Steves Pickpocketed in Paris! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rick-steves-pickpocketed-in-paris-1455569/)

PalenQ Jul 11th, 2017 10:35 AM

Rick Steves Pickpocketed in Paris!

http://blog.ricksteves.com/blog/pickpocketed-paris/

Thanks to Andrew for mentioning this in a current thread - it can and does happen to the most savvy of travelers and likely to happen to naive tourists who do not know there is a real problem -not just in Paris but many European cities.

suze Jul 11th, 2017 10:38 AM

Great thread, thanks for the link! At lest Rick was a gentleman in taking complete responsibility for his own carelessness. Priceless!

PalenQ Jul 11th, 2017 10:39 AM

thank andrew!

PalenQ Jul 11th, 2017 10:41 AM

— wallet gone. OK, I admit, it’s my fault…I wasn’t wearing my money belt. And it cost me. I went back to the hotel, referred to the emergency section in the appendix of our Paris guidebook, and set about canceling my credit cards. I lost my driver’s license, two credit cards, and some money.>

Why oh why put all this in some wallet presumably in a back pocket?

Dumb naive mistake.

Wear a money belt at all time. Everywhere from boarding the airplane to getting on it to return.

Andrew Jul 11th, 2017 11:10 AM

I don't wear a money belt and never have. It's always seemed like an unnecessary hassle to me. But I am always careful in situations where people are routinely pickpocketed (on trains and buses, in busy places packed with people). My wallet is in my front pocket and I reflexively tap that pocket when I'm on a train or bus or busy station, whenever I feel the slightest touch from anyone, sometimes if I don't. It's become a habit. I assume potential thieves see someone keeping his hand near his pocket might look for another target.

Someone did attempt to pickpocket me Riga, Latvia last year, though, and I was almost a victim due to my carelessness and lack of imagination. I was walking up some steps at the Riga train station, carrying my bags and some food (trying to catch a bus). If the steps had been crowded I would have been more careful, but the area was nearly empty. I had just bought a bag of fast food I was going to eat on the bus, had that in one hand as I dragged my bags up the steps...

And then this young couple, dressed like tourists, brushed up against me, and the woman deftly reached for my front pocket (also had my passport in there) as she passed. I reacted instantly, yelling and pushing her away, knocking her down, as one of my bags tumbled down the stairs. As soon as I did, I felt foolish - had I just been paranoid? The couple reacted angrily, told me I was crazy, and for a second I felt bad for maybe hurting someone. With the commotion, a local guy came over to ask what was going on. After a few words with him, the couple hurried off. "Those are bad people," he said. Clearly I wasn't crazy.

As I said: just careless. I could have carried my bags more securely and not have my wallet pocket so exposed - but I was just lazy. I was almost late for the bus and trying to grab food and didn't feel in danger in such an uncrowded area, making me very vulnerable - exactly the kind of people these professional criminals prey on. I still can't believe they made such a brazen attempt in an uncrowded area - but as I said, they tried because I felt safe and couldn't imagine anyone trying to pickpocket me there.

I was a bit freaked out for the rest of that trip and probably overcautious, but this last May on another trip in Europe I used just a little more common sense and was fine. I made sure when carrying bags I would have them firmly in my hands and not have that pocket exposed.

I do keep a spare credit card and some cash hidden in one of my bags just in case I lose my wallet, and I have a copy of my passport somewhere too.

PalenQ Jul 11th, 2017 11:20 AM

40+ trips to Europe and never been pickpocketed or victimized - I always wear a money belt -nearly 100% foolproof except muggings which rarely if ever happen in most places.

I've have several folks put their hands in my back pocket and unzip my day pack back pocket, etc. And I also carry a wallet in front pocket and keep a hand on it in busy areas.

So I hope that folks will not be paranoid about Paris or any other place - just be vigilant and know there is a problem and take precautions to prevent something that could ruin a trip -the hassle of canceling cards - leaving you with none that work - replacing passport, etc.

IM case simply wearing a money belt has been fool-proof.

ribeirasacra Jul 11th, 2017 11:20 AM

****Wear a money belt at all time. Everywhere from boarding the airplane to getting on it to return.***

Yer just like all French, Spanish, German, Dutch, Brits etc etc.
Do you wear them when visiting the likes of NY or Detroit, LA or even Las Vagas?

suec1 Jul 11th, 2017 11:22 AM

I haven't worn a money belt for years - did not like having to dig under my clothes to get to cash when needed. My strategy is to not carry all my essentials (cash and cards mostly)when I go out. Usually just enough cash for the outing and one card if I will be needing it. Of course for major transits when I have to have everything I usually keep most stuff in luggage when I have ahold of it.

I did get pickpocketed in (guess!) Barcelona on the metro. Realized it about 30 minutes later, went back to the station where I remembered being bumped and found my purse in the trash with just the cash removed.

The next day I went back to the station again and watched. Saw the professionals at work - went down the platform towards them and shouted "ladrones, ladrones" At least for a few minutes they scattered and an elderly couple was spared.

ribeirasacra Jul 11th, 2017 11:24 AM

A tip from me.
If you see a street player, street musician, or beggar and you give them some money do not get that money from your wallet.
It will indicate to any thieve where the wallet is in your clothes.
The thieve may not be even associated with the person you give money too. But they sure will be watching the crowds for a victim.

PalenQ Jul 11th, 2017 11:31 AM

Yer just like all French, Spanish, German, Dutch, Brits etc etc.
Do you wear them when visiting the likes of NY or Detroit, LA or even Las Vagas?>

NYC Yes -Detroit I carry a gun.

Mock me if you want but I just say what has been full-proof for me. Can't argue with that and Rick Steves said it was his lapse not to have been using his money belt.

Andrew Jul 11th, 2017 11:32 AM

If you click on the Rick Steves blog link posted above, you'll see pictures he took on the tram in Lisbon of pros working the tram there and even played with them - just a week before he fell victim himself in Paris. These thieves are pros.

Pegontheroad Jul 11th, 2017 11:38 AM

I wear my money belt at all times when I travel, including when I'm in places where I don't expect to be hit by thieves--like in Germany. Twice, in Spain, nice ladies have warned me that I was at risk for someone to steal out of my purse, which was open. I appreciated the tip, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I had a small amount of money in a zipped compartment, and big money and credit and debit cards in my money belt.

My sister's purse was stolen by a clever thief pretending to be a waiter in La Boqueria in Barcelona. Fortunately, she had given me her debit card and her passport to put in my money belt, so all she lost was a camera.

On the train to Montserrat a woman tried to steal my purse--but I had purposely put the purse between my leg and the wall of the train and felt it move.

I love Spain, especially Barcelona, but I'm aware that there is a good deal of theft of this type.

nanabee Jul 11th, 2017 11:54 AM

One of the posts on Rick Steeves blog said >>I got pick pocketed on the Athens metro, next to last stop, on way to Piraeus and the cruise ship>>

My husband and I have traveled in Europe since the mid 1970's together and have never had a problem.

But about three years or so ago DH was on the Athen metro (we too were going to the Piraeus dock -- and someone tried to pick pocket him. Fortunately he felt something and instantly grabbed his pocket and caught the guys hand - the guy then ran off.

Christina Jul 11th, 2017 12:03 PM

I was surprised at that, but he was doing stupid things--which surprised me given how much he travels. When will men learn that keeping your wallet in your pants pocket on a crowded metro train in Paris is not a smart thing to do? And knowing Rick, he was in a more touristy central area of Paris rather than, say, Nation metro stop. Lot more pickpockets in the center lines with a lot of tourists.

dfourh Jul 11th, 2017 12:17 PM

<<<<<<Do you wear them when visiting the likes of NY or Detroit, LA or even Las Vagas?

I wear a money belt when I travel in the U.S. Pickpocketing is not the art it is in Europe, but I've gotten used to the waistbelt with the cards, passport/driversL and big bills, and it is just as easy to carry there, as fattening up the wallet (which has $60 in bills and maybe 1 credit card).

Nothing can go wrong with the valuables there, and it's easy to grab if I need anything there. A moneybelt is just a different place to put valuables, that is no hassle, and prevents mishaps not only from pickpocketing, but also from basic, normal human carelessness.

PalenQ Jul 11th, 2017 12:20 PM

I don't wear a money belt when say going to Detroit for a Tigers game but in crowds put my wallet in my front pocket and keep a hand on it. I saw one older man deftly insert his hand into a bloke's pocket in the tickeet check line.

suze Jul 11th, 2017 12:22 PM

<Why oh why put all this in some wallet presumably in a back pocket?>

How do you know his wallet was in his back pocket, PalQ?

He did not say that.

PalenQ Jul 11th, 2017 12:38 PM

Ok any pocket without his hands on it.

muskoka Jul 11th, 2017 01:00 PM

I have travelled all over Europe and the U.S. many times over many years, have never worn a money belt or neck wallet, and so far, have not been picked. My DH nearly had his wallet picked here in Toronto while waiting for a traffic light to change. My luck is bound to run out some time.

Cowboy1968 Jul 11th, 2017 01:02 PM

I never wore a money belt in my whole life. Going from Berlin to Paris or Rome is as *exotic* as going to Munich or Vienna. I wouldn't know of anyone I know who bothered to take any extra precautions. I don't say that it's not wise to take precautions, but Paris is not a destination I would waste one thought on - regarding personal safety or theft.
Sh*t happens - here and there. C'est la vie...