Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rick Steve's guides-anybody try his hotel suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rick-steves-guides-anybody-try-his-hotel-suggestions-95709/)

melinda Dec 5th, 2000 12:05 PM

Rick Steve's guides-anybody try his hotel suggestions?

I am going to Italy soon for a three week trip around the country. I used Rick Steve's guide to find hotels that sounded interesting and inexpensive. After reading some of the comments here about disasters such as finding the accomodations different than described or being given rooms that were not what was requested, I'm just wondering whether anyone else has used his guide and how the hotels really stack up against his descriptions? (Specifically-Villa Cipressi in Varenna, Hotel Campiello in Venice, La Minervetta in Sorrento and Pensione Bretagna in Florence)

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Dec 5th, 2000 12:49 PM

Melinda, I love Rick, but it seems that <BR>many of his hotel choices suffer from <BR>two problems. First, they are not current. He has been publishing for many <BR>years now and the best choices in 1985 <BR>have enjoyed such popularity---based on <BR>his endorsement--that they are not up <BR>to the same standards now. You will get <BR>better input from the regulars on this <BR>forum who are more current. <BR>

gina Dec 5th, 2000 01:20 PM

Hi Melinda, my family and I have used many Rick Steves hotels with varying degrees of success. His suggestion of the Hotel Corso in Orvieto was great as was the Hotel Trumer Stube in Salzburg. But some have only been fair such as the Hotel Junger in Copenhagen and another in Bacharach Germany. I think he must be able to sleep through a nuclear war and not have any back problems whatsoever. My husband and I have found that it is better for everyone if we splurge to get better nights' sleep. Nowhere is this more critical than in Rome. You say you are going soon so I would imagine air conditioning isn't necessary. I think that generally Rick likes to recommend places that are easy on the budget and close to everything, but that is only fine if you aren't travelling with children or if you are in perfect health or very young. Good luck to you.

the turnip Dec 5th, 2000 01:48 PM

I love Rick's book and have used his suggestions for lodging many times. We seldom stay at hotels however but instead use his B&B suggestions. <BR> <BR>We enjoyed the Minervetta in Sorrento. Friendly staff, wonderful views, clean rooms and excellent food. <BR> <BR>Sorry, we didn't use any of the other hotels you listed.

Bev Dec 5th, 2000 01:59 PM

We are great fans of Rick Steves, have used his books for independent travel and been on several of his tours. I do agree with Gina on her comments. We have found it is sometimes better to use his more expensive choices. I am not familiar with any of the hotels you listed. In Varenna, at Rick's suggestion, we stayed at the Albergo Milano. We splurged for the room with the lakefront view and the large balcony. It was great. You didn't mention Rome, but there we stayed at the Hotel Oceania, it is near the train terminal. The rooms were large, with air conditioning, safes in the room, and a nice breakfast area. They arranged for a car to pick us up at a very early hour to take us to the airport. Telephone 06/4824696.

Neva Dec 5th, 2000 03:03 PM

I agree that Rick Steves' hotel choices can be dodgy -- some very good, some bad, some downright ugly. One way to check on his recommendations would be to visit the Grafitti Wall message boards at www.ricksteves.com. The feedback from readers/travellers is excellent. For your needs, I'd say check both the Italy guidebook message board and the "Heroic B&B" board. Good luck!

diane Dec 5th, 2000 09:22 PM

We've used Rick Steves books several times in Europe. Only once in Florence did we have a bad place by the train station. I'd stay away from his low budget places in Florence and follow his recommendations for better places. The restaurants he recommends are out of the way, sometimes, but well worth it.

Beth Anderson Dec 6th, 2000 06:06 AM

Hi, <BR> <BR>has anybody stayed at one of his Venice suggestions - Albergo Corona? It is cheap (75K lire per night) and near St. Mark's Square. I will be in Venice for New Years. am I asking for flood trouble if I stay near St Marks? <BR> <BR>thanks <BR> <BR>Beth

Bill Dec 6th, 2000 06:20 AM

We have been using Rick Steves guides since 1994 and in general have been happy with his recommendations. We did have one bad hotel in Milan back in 94, but it is no longer in his book. It wasn't a dump per se, just not up to how his book described it. <BR> <BR>Overall, I think his books are good, but I do agree that sometimes he can suggest places that are a bit below what we like. One thing to consider is now with the web, it is quite possible to find out more about his recommendations by searching for web sites for the hotels. <BR> <BR>We just returned from a trip to Belgium and France, and used his recommendations for Amboise and Paris and were quite happy with both. In Amboise we went for upper level and stayed at Manior Les Minimes, a 4 * hotel, and in Paris at Grand Hotel Leveque, a 2 *. Both were good (and I had also checked them out on web before booking). <BR> <BR>Overall, I give Rick a thumbs up.

laura Dec 6th, 2000 09:33 AM

Melinda, <BR>If your planning to spend a few days on Lake Como, I would suggest a beautiful pensione that we stayed in last year. La Pergola is on the other side of the penisula where Bellagio is situated in Pescalo (a very brief, beautiful, but somewhat steep 5 minute walk from Bellagio). The pensione is right on the water and many of the rooms have small terraces. The rooms are modestly priced, we stayed in one of the largest for about $100 per night (i believe it was room number 5, beautiful antique furniture and a terrace). I believe the number is 031.950.263. Varenna is a nice town, but when we visited it we were glad that we decided to stay in Bellagio.

Lesli Dec 6th, 2000 09:38 AM

I stayed at the Pensione Bretagna about a year and a half ago, and would stay there again. My single room was extremely basic - decor along the lines of a college dorm room. But the price was right, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful (speaking at least a little of just about every language, including Japanese!) and the place was spotlessly clean. I also loved the location, and the views of the Arno from the reception and breakfast rooms (none from the guestrooms, I believe.) <BR> <BR>I have stayed in Rick-recommended hotels in Milan and Siena as well, and though they were rather short on charm, they well-located, clean and cheap.

amik Dec 8th, 2000 12:41 PM

We stayed 2 years ago at the Albergo Campiello in Venice. Don't remember if I found it in Rick's book or somewhere else. It's a good place, clean, quiet, very close to the San Marco (at the San Zacharia "bus" stop), but relatively inexpensive. Go for it. <BR>Amik.

tina Dec 9th, 2000 07:24 AM

-- <BR>Used two hotel suggestions from Rick Steves' book on my recent Italy visit (Oct/Nov this yr). <BR> <BR>One turned out good, other was not so good. I was pleased with my accommadations in Milan at the London Hotel on Via Rovello -- a small single, yet comfortable, well located & on a quiet street. Cost was 135,000 lire (pd in cash). <BR> <BR>The other hotel was in Venice -- and although it was in a good location and I did have a view of the Grand Canal I would not recommend this place. "Hotel Galleria" is one of those "cozy" sized places. Again it was a single, which of course I knew would be small by the price (what can one expect for only 100,000 lire in Venice); however the "bed" was actually a roll-in type and the room reeked from stale smoke. They were all full --- possibly the doubles may have been better. But know I'll try elsewhere on my next go round. <BR> <BR>Other

sheila Jun 15th, 2003 03:25 AM

ttt

francophile03 Jun 15th, 2003 06:47 AM

I have not stayed at his recommended hotels-not yet at least. In any event, noticed that at the same time he recommends some hotels, he gives them negative reviews. For example, he would say that the hotel has smoky rooms, is charmless, etc. I wonder why he even recommends these places to begin with.

claire Jun 15th, 2003 06:54 AM

We only tried one of Rick's suggestions on our last Italy trip: the Hotel Aberdeen in Rome. It was exactly as he described it, and we were very happy with the choice and the family service of the staff there. Additionally, when I e-mailed them for availability and reservations, because I had mentioned hearing of them in the Rick Steves book, they offered me the discounted rate mentioned in the Steves book even though I'd been too dumb to ask for it! They also were of great help on opera tickets, saying the Rome Opera House was only a block away on the same street, and it would be no trouble. THAT'S service.

MGB Jun 15th, 2003 08:41 AM

We have made 2 trips to Europe with mostly Rick accommodation recommendations and now planning a 3rd. With I think only 1 questional call. However, I usually get at least a 2nd source for confirmation. I use any of the following:
1. Karen Brown Guides
2. This Forum
3. Fodor's guides
4. Frommers and/or other guide books
5. The hotel/B&amp;Bs own web site

Currently we have lined up 10 hotels for our next trip (25 days) and only 1 have had to change because feedback was poor! (Found out through the forum). I did email Rick about it (in Munich) and hopefully he updates next time.
Have fun

Jean Jun 15th, 2003 09:13 PM

I research like MGB does. I look for hotels/B&amp;Bs that are mentioned in multiple unrelated sources. Rick Steves is a bit too cheap for me, though we used his recommendation in Milan (London Hotel). Karen Brown is sometimes too rich, though we used a few of her recommendations in France. I check out every guide book, magazine article, web source, etc.

dugi_otok Jun 15th, 2003 10:28 PM

In recent years Rick Steves has included higher priced hotels in his books. This year, for a pre and post cruise in Rome I stayed at the Hotel Nazionale de Montecitoro described by Rick as a 4 star landmark, a worthy splurge. It is a terrific hotel with views of St Peters dome from my 4th floor room,nice public areas, and best of all steps from a Giolitti's gelato. Last year I stayed in Amboise at Le Vieux Manoir Rick's best high end splurge which was the best B&amp;B I've ever stayed at. Two years ago I stayed at the Hotel d'Arlatan in Arles described by Rick as classy in every sense of the word and having sumptuous public spaces. I enjoyed this hotel with a garden breakfast and lobby glass floor looking down on Roman ruins in this heart of Provence town. I remember having to drive the wrong way on a one way street to get to the parking garage.Also it was steps to the Place du Form of Van Gogh Le Cafe de Nuit fame. So I am 3 for 3 in liking Rick's high end hotel recommendations.

Gary

oberost Jun 17th, 2003 07:41 AM

I like his tv shows and enjoy his travel books but too much is too much. Last summer my wife &amp; I and another couple were eating at a restaurant near rue Cler and during our after dinner coffee were discussing Rick (our guests were big fans) ... at least 4 other tables joined in the discussion! We all had a laugh!