Reload this Page >

Rick Steves' advice on buying tickets.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 11:43 AM
C Sheen

Does anyone know why Rick Steves is telling people in his "Italy 2000" to buy train tickets when you get to Italy, but at travel agent offices such as American Express instead of the stations? He mentions this several times, even for Rome.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 11:55 AM
cheryl

I don't know his reasons, but here are the reasons I often do it: <BR> <BR>1.There is no extra charge for buying the tickets at an Amex office, it costs the same as at the train station. <BR> <BR>2. Unlike train stations, which are often on the outskirts of a city, Amex offices are almost always located near a large tourist attraction, and I will be there anyway. <BR> <BR>3. The lines are never very long. At the train station, you may hit a busy time of day. <BR> <BR>4. If the local language is a problem for you, you may feel more comfortable buying tickets at the Amex office.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 03:02 PM
Dayle

We traveled primarily by train on our recent trip and had no problem buying all our tickets just before departure at whatever train station. However, there were a couple agents in smaller stations who didn't speak English so you should be prepared to know how to ask for what you want. We preprinted train schedules from fsonline and they were very helpful to have along. It enabled us to easily change our plans as we went along. Our trip was in May. I might make more advance reservations if I was traveling during peak summer months. Have fun!

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 03:10 PM
Ed

1. Tickets will cost less in Italy than when purchased in North America. <BR> <BR>2. Typically, lines are long and slow at Italian train stations. Also, English will be a problem not infrequently. <BR> <BR>Good advice. <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 06:30 PM
C Sheen

Thanks everyone. I will not be able to really buy my ticket in advance. I will be arriving in Rome by plane and want to go immediately to the Termini to depart. The ticket agents here are only guessing which ticket and advance reservation they should sell me. If my plane is delayed, I must buy another ticket anyway because the one I take from the states will not be valid. So I will print out the schedules in advance, take my dictionary in hand and hope for the best. There are trains every hour or half hour from Rome to Florence. I am sure I will get on one of them. I will let you know when I get back.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 05:26 AM
Jim

You are under a misconception about train tickets in Europe. They are valid for a considerable length of time - I believe it is 90 days. Tickets are not for any specific train but for point-to-point, i.e. Rome to Florence. On the other hand, reservations are for a specific train and seat. You may miss the train and waste your reservation but your ticket will still be valid. The exception to this in Italy is the Eurostar trains, which require a reservation. Some Eurostar trains have cars that do not require reservations but you will have to pay a supplement if you only have a simple ticket. Your best bet for getting tickets from Rome to Florence is to purchase them at the train station at the Fiumicino airport when you buy your tickets to the Rome Termini. That is what I always do. Below is the best website for viewing all the scheduled trains at once. It can assist you in planning your trip. If you want more specifics on purchasing your tickets at the airport just email me. Good luck.http://www.itwg.com/trains/trains.asp <BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 12:13 PM
sandi

Jim, let me make sure i understand..anyone else out there set me straight. I was planning to ride first class on the Eurostar from Milan to verona, verona to venice and venice to florence. When you say it requires reservations, does that mean that I cannot go to the train station and get the ticket just prior to departure? How far in advance should I purchase the ticket? Thanks.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 02:16 PM
Jim

Sandi - Yes you can go to the station and purchase a ticket but it will be for a reserved seat. As for making reservations in advance, it depends on the time of the year and day of the week. Trains are busier during the high season and/or on weekends. If you are traveling from Venice to Florence on a weekend you should probably get your ticket when you arrive in Venice from Verona. There are only seven trains a day (5 Eurostar) and both cities are popular. If you do not mind being flexible you can try getting a ticket the day you leave, but beware. Last October I was in Florence and had just booked passage on a ferry from Naples to the Aeolian Islands the day before. I figured I would have no problem getting a train from Florence to Naples so I went to the station around 10:00am and tried to buy tickets only to be told there were no more seats available until later that night. And this was in the later part of October! I managed to get there but that's a different story. <BR>Most of the trains from Milan to Verona and Verona to Venice are not Eurostar but Intercity trains - which I prefer. They leave from Milan every hour, at :05 after the hour, all day. It is only a 1:25 trip to Verona so there is only one Eurostar scheduled. I would just get a ticket at the station and hop on the next train. The worse that can happen is that you would have to take an IR train that is not as nice and takes 30 minutes longer. The same is true for you trip from Verona to Venice except the trains leave at :33 after each hour. Refer to the website in my first reply. It is the best for showing all the trains at one time. I hope I have made this clear. <BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 02:33 PM
sandi

Crystal Jim..thanks.