Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rick Steves - 7000 tours booked in 2 days

Old Jun 7th, 2021, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this on the RS forum while looking at a tour someone had asked about here. (As of May 27; as of today, June 7, many tours showing all of their dates throughout 2022 waitlisted.)

If this an index of the travel industry in general, either 2022 is going to be a banner year, or a very crowded year, depending on how one looks at it.

So, is it in your view the more the merrier, or, you think you'll stay home in 2022 and avoid the rush?

Last edited by Sue_xx_yy; Jun 7th, 2021 at 04:04 AM.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We already booked a house on Islay for the middle of May next year. I think everyone feels like us and can't wait to travel. I had to cancel an apartment in Berlin last year and they offered me 25% discount to rebook. I was thrilled the Paris hotel didn't jack up my room price but took just my voucher. That means a lot for repeat business. So many are hurting. We still travel in nonpeak times so think we will be ok. The US summer trip we have planned was much more expensive for accommodations. Rick Steve treated everyone well on refunds so glad he is getting the bookings.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 05:08 AM

I'm excited to say that I booked one of those 7000 tours. And I'm already planning 2023.

This will be my 4th Rick Steves Tour. I have a strategy, I go a couple days early before the tour to relax and see a few sights, then stay a few days afterwards for independent sightseeing. My tour is not until September of 2022, (England and Wales), but it shall be a great motivator to stay healthy and fit.

Travel is back baby!! His tours are really well run, and like a lot of fellow travelers, I've been impressed with the way Rick has handled his business during the pandemic. He is a strong advocate for vaccines. He's paid his employees throughout the pandemic, which could not have been easy when the travel industry tanked.

As far as the "more the merrier" this will not be my first planned foray to Europe in 2022. I also have a Road Scholar trip scheduled for late February 2022 to Puglia (and hopefully a few days in Rome afterwards). It's nice to plan, but I also am hopeful for Italy, England and Wales. If these countries are not ready for me in 2022, I shall understand too. It's more important to me that the world is doing well. We were all affected by this virus.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 05:10 AM

I was told I was stupid for thinking of going to Italy this coming August-September and how restaurants will be closed and on and on. I can understand why some will wait but obviously a lot of people aren't.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dukey1 View Post
I was told I was stupid for thinking of going to Italy this coming August-September and how restaurants will be closed and on and on. I can understand why some will wait but obviously a lot of people aren't.
Well, Dukey1, I don't know about 'stupid' - which was a rather silly thing to say, whoever said that to you - as it doesn't convey any useful information - but for what it is worth, the Rick Steves outfit is not yet confirming any tour places for later in 2021. Given how much uncertainty and confusion there still is about what will qualify in what country as acceptable evidence of vaccination status, this is not surprising. (cf the thread in the Europe section on France opening up.)
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by barbrn View Post
I'm excited to say that I booked one of those 7000 tours. And I'm already planning 2023.

This will be my 4th Rick Steves Tour. I have a strategy, I go a couple days early before the tour to relax and see a few sights, then stay a few days afterwards for independent sightseeing. My tour is not until September of 2022, (England and Wales), but it shall be a great motivator to stay healthy and fit.

Travel is back baby!! His tours are really well run, and like a lot of fellow travelers, I've been impressed with the way Rick has handled his business during the pandemic. He is a strong advocate for vaccines. He's paid his employees throughout the pandemic, which could not have been easy when the travel industry tanked.
I agree his is a well managed company. And of course, the company offered the chance to book 2022 tours first to those who had to have their tours cancelled in 2020, which is fair. Bon voyage.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 05:52 AM
P_M

Macross and barb, have a great trip. I'm jealous.

Dukey, I wish I were as "stupid" as you. I would love to go to Italy this year. We will be staying stateside in 2021 but we will definitely go to Europe next year.

Old Jun 7th, 2021, 07:28 AM

Wow, that is a lot of bookings!
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 07:57 AM

Barb, congrats on your trip becoming a reality. Your strategy of pre-and-post tour days is a wise one. If I may ask, where will you go there, what is the itinerary? Just curious.
And Dukey, same same congrats plus same same question---where will you go in Italy?

Good also to see RS get the trust that he so clearly has earned with his honorable strategy----trenitalia (sound of spit) take note!

I am done. the lite at the end of the funnel
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 08:03 AM

In an effort to out do barbrn, I booked 2 Rick Steves tours for 2022. They will be my 7th and 8th, and my son will be joining me on one of them. His 2nd.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sue_xx_yy View Post
So, is it in your view the more the merrier, or, you think you'll stay home in 2022 and avoid the rush?
As eager as I am to travel, I still don't like crowds. In fact, I think I dislike them even more than I did pre-pandemic. So as good as this news may be, it also makes me uncomfortable (even though I don't do tours, I'm still afraid travel is going to be something of a Disneyland even for the independent traveler.)
Guess one cannot have one's cake and bleahbleahbleah.

(ETA: unfortunately, our financial situation is pretty tight right now, so I'm admittedly envious of all of you.)

Last edited by LucieV; Jun 7th, 2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 08:47 AM

You totally outdid me elberko. And all I can say about that is, good for you!!! I never expected to like tours, I was a total plan my own trip kind of girl. He's got the right formula for great tours as his rapid selling out of tours proved.

Zebec, My friend and I are doing the Best of England tour, which starts in Bath, through the Cotswolds, Wales, Lake District, York and ends in London. I've been to Bath and London before, but none of the places in between. We have over a year to figure out what we will do with our time before and after the tour. More London for sure but maybe Paris for a few days?? Much depends on the shape of the rest of the world by that time. My trip is booked, but actually going is not written in stone. I will remain vigilant and cautious.

In 2019 we did Rick's Best of Ireland tour, after the tour ended in Belfast we flew to Glasgow for a few days then took the train to Edinburgh and flew home from there. It's really fun to plan this part because flights throughout Europe (at the time) were easy to book and cheap.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 09:15 AM

I'm hoping this brings some relief on the pressure on National Parks, LOL. But if it means Europeans can come here, I dread the thought.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 09:40 AM

Go Rick!!! I'm happy for him. He deserves success. And for the people who are beginning to travel, I cheer y'all on as well.

I'm not rushing into anything myself. Certainly I will travel again, but my two favorite R&R spots (PV Mexico and Waikiki Oahu Hawaii) are jammin' right now, even still being under some extra Covid restrictions both places, by all accounts both hearing from friends who've been and on the very active Trip Advisor local forums.

So I think I'll wait. Not sure for how long. I know wishing for the two trips I took in 2019 to recreate themselves will not happen. But maybe for closer to a 'new normal' to be in place? Turns out I'm not working any more so home for summer in Seattle IS a vacation. Probably why I don't have such a strong urge to get on a plane at the moment. (Actually I am getting on a plane but just a 1 hour jaunt down to Oregon for a family visit over the 4th of July! Hooray.)

Anyway... congrats to Rick for success well deserved. And surviving the pandemic year(s) and coming out in Backdoor style all grown up.

Old Jun 7th, 2021, 10:37 AM

Fantastic itinerary Barb! And maybe Paris too? Whew, good stuff.
I am done. The clotted cream with strawb jam
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by barbrn View Post

We are also on a September 2022 England and Wales Rick Steves tour. Had several tense days waiting for confirmation. Have already booked the first hotel to come in a day early.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grimmy View Post
We are also on a September 2022 England and Wales Rick Steves tour. Had several tense days waiting for confirmation. Have already booked the first hotel to come in a day early.
If I ever took a tour, it would be one of his, solely for the professionalism in communication.The website posted that they had so many bookings, so fast, that it could take up to a week to confirm the seat.

This is one of the reasons why it is hard to compare the cost of a tour to the cost of doing it oneself. In nominal terms, the DIY route is almost always cheaper, all other things (location of hotels, included sightseeing, etc) included.. But the value of 'hidden infrastructure' - i.e. the behind-the-scenes-stuff - is harder to quantify.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 04:49 AM

Grimmy!!! Oh my gosh!! You're doing the same tour!! We (my friend and I) are taking the very last Best of England tour (starting Sept 25). I hope that's the one you are on too. It would be fun.

My friend was on the golf course when Rick opened his tours up that Wednesday so I had to wait for her to get home. We signed up for our tour 5 hours after the dates were released, and got a notification they'd received our info. We watched the tours change from "sign up" squares to "wait list" squares rapidly, so I know the nervousness. I got the confirmation email 5 PM on Memorial Day. All that waiting made me want to take the tour that much more. I was on the site last night and saw they have added 7 more tours to the Best of England slots, which are all "filling fast" or "wait list."

Then I went on Rick's store website and bought a new backpack. Rick Steves, just take all my money why don't you!! I leave next week for Washington State and fully intend to stalk his real life store in Edmonds.

I admire Rick's political beliefs, and how he is not afraid to express them. I'm on a Facebook site of his, and fights will break out about his liberal ideas, Someone always says, "You do know who Rick Steves is and what he believes?" I feel if there are issues about Covid and traveling, his company will be on top of it and making sure all is well to travel.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 03:58 AM

Grimmy!!! Oh my gosh!! You're doing the same tour!! We (my friend and I) are taking the very last Best of England tour (starting Sept 25). I hope that's the one you are on too. It would be fun.

Sadly we are on the one that starts on September 11. This will be our sixth tour with him and even though we have traveled throughout England this tour takes in areas weve not explored and I know will be awesome. We once thought wed never be tour folks but were hooked. The first boutique b&b looks great and we received a prompt response and a reservation. Needless to say were excited. Have a wonderful trip and hopefully we can chat about our experiences on our return 😊
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 05:26 PM

"You do know who Rick Steves is and what he believes?"

YES I do And why I support him. The man has integrity and spine and principles. And IF I were looking for a Europe tour, that would be who I call.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information