Reload this Page >

Richard II @ the Gainesborough Studios?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2000, 02:15 PM
Linda

I have tickets to see my favorite actor, Ralph Fiennes, in Richard II in July. Has anyone seen it yet? Cannot find any reviews. Not that it really matters, I guess. Just wondering!

Old May 24th, 2000, 01:24 AM
Ivan

Lucky you. My friend has seen it recently and thought the production was excellent. The reviews I read have been very good. Enjoy the play.

Old May 24th, 2000, 04:53 AM
alex

Try http://www.thisislondon.com/html/hot...op_direct.html, which is part of the this is london site with excellent theatre section. The reviews were excellent all round, especially for Ralph. I'm seeing it in July, so enjoy! <BR> <BR>Alex

Old May 24th, 2000, 08:28 AM
Estelle

Hi Linda, <BR> <BR>Just returned from London this past <BR>weekend and saw Richard II, be prepared <BR>that it's about 3 hours long and the <BR>time prior to first intermission is <BR>if I remember almost 2 hrs. I'm not <BR>a theater critic, I only went to see <BR>Ralph Fiennes and Linus Roache, so I <BR>thought it was boring, although the <BR>set was cool and I had a really good <BR>seat in the first balcony. Gainsborough Studios took forever to get to from where I stayed about 1 1/2 hrs(from Bayswater) and I took a cab for the ride to the hotel because it was so late and the nearest tube stop is a twenty minute walk away. It cost me 18 pounds for the cab ride, more than the ticket itself. But, it was definately <BR>worth it for me as I really like those <BR>two actors. The next day I needed some <BR>amusement so I went to the Reduced <BR>Shakespeare Company at Piccidilly <BR>Circus and that was the funniest <BR>show I've ever seen. Quite the opposite <BR>from the prior nights performance. <BR>Like I said, I'm not a critic so you'll <BR>have to make up your own mind about <BR>Richard II. <BR> <BR>Estelle <BR>

Old May 24th, 2000, 07:20 PM
Linda

Estelle, thanks for the report...maybe you should have borrowed my Cliff notes on Richard II before seeing it! <BR>I am very curious why it took so long for you to get across the city ( an hour and a half) and what tube station were you referring to? I am hoping to get on @ Highbury & Islington...ride it to Victoria station and catch the last train to the south coast. Now it sounds like I might be expecting too much. I also have tickets for Coriolanus (know nothing about the storyline) in a matinee performance. <BR>Again, thanks to you and everyone for the much appreciated info!

Old May 25th, 2000, 12:00 PM
Julian

Can't understand why it would take an hour and a half from Bayswater unless there was a really big problem. It is about 20 mins to Highbury & Islington (a more convenient station than Old Street and a much more salubrious walk), and the Victoria line is normally pretty quick. If you want to check out the rail times to the South coast, visit http://www.railtrack.co.uk.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 09:57 AM
Estelle

Hi Linda, <BR> <BR>Sorry about not responding right away, <BR>been trying to catch up on my work <BR>since I've been away. The hour and <BR>a half was from Bayswater tube station, <BR>(clear across town) and I think since it was a Saturday night (and torrential rainstorm) the tube was running slow or something, plus I had to wait for a train that was going to Kings Cross (not all Distric/Circle lines go through that way) so I could transfer to the Northern line for the Old St/Church? tube stop, then from there it was a twenty minute walk to the theater (incld in time). Most patrons I saw came by taxi, I was saving my money for the ride back to the hotel. I have no idea how your way would be, hopefully <BR>better. As far as cliff notes, I just <BR>wanted to see two of my favorite actors that's why I went. (I watched English <BR>Patient again this weekend) I hope you <BR>enjoy both your shows!