Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rialto Hotel in Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rialto-hotel-in-venice-295924/)

Gates Mar 9th, 2003 12:21 PM

Rialto Hotel in Venice

I am a single mother traveling with her kids (10 an 16) and I have made reservations for two nights at the Rialto Hotel in Venice the last week of June.<BR>Could any one advise me if this is a nice place? I wanted to stay where there was some activity so that we were not walking back to our hotel at night on some isolated street.

daph Mar 9th, 2003 03:14 PM

We stayed there about 6 years ago. It is very central and there is plenty of action around if you walk back from the Piazza St Marco, for instance, at night. The lobby isn't very fancy nor is the breakfast room, which is small, without windows. It can get fairly crowded and the breakfast wasn't very good, prepackaged bread, jam, etc. Perhaps it's better now. The room and bathroom were quite large and nice. We even had a real Venetian chandelier. I think that your children would like it fine. The lobby is busy and rather open to the public so you might want to keep an eye on them.

ira Mar 9th, 2003 04:26 PM

Hi Gates,<BR> Am I correct that you are talking about the hotel at the Rialto Bridge? If so, you will have to walk back if you are spending the evening at San Marco.<BR> I have not stayed there, but have stayed at a hotel across the street. It is a very nice place.<BR> I have walked through the streets of Venice, alone and unarmed, very late at night without fear of being accosted.<BR> Enjoy your visit.

Patrick Mar 9th, 2003 04:48 PM

I've stayed at the Rialto Hotel twice, mainly because I requested and got rooms with balcony to the Grand Canal, booking way ahead. Daph has accurately described the hotel, although I do know there are some rather dark and smaller rooms as well.<BR><BR>The walk back from St. Marks Square can be rather dark, but perfectly safe. But the other option is to take the boat back which stops right at the door to the Rialto. I'd suggest you get vaporetto passes anyway. That's another benefit of the Rialto as you can take the Vaporetto from the train station right to your door.

bobthenavigator Mar 9th, 2003 04:55 PM

Fabulous location but in a very busy area. The only negative is noise at nite.

Gates Mar 9th, 2003 04:56 PM

That's another reason for staying there was because I was able to get a room with a view of the Grand Canal. So I take it you must have enjoyed your stay there? <BR>Thank you all for your help. I am really looking forward to this trip.

Patrick Mar 9th, 2003 05:01 PM

Actually I was never bothered by noise at night, (although admittedly I never get in very early while in Venice), but mornings were another matter. Deliveries are made pretty early by boat, but I was fascinated sitting on the balcony watching the guys unloading their deliveries -- tossing cases of soft drinks for example through the air to each other from about 15 feet apart!!