Rhyme or reason to airline prices???

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhyme or reason to airline prices???

I've been looking at airfares from BHM to MAD for a trip next March/April. Delta's "deeply discounted coach" fare has been $630 since I first started looking in June. Suddenly it has jumped to $750. Is there any reason to suspect that this is related to the price of oil and since gas prices spiked a few weeks ago and have now started easing back down that airfares might also come down? Or, do prices only go up?
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 12:29 PM

You may have come up with pricing for tickets in the lowest class of service in coach, which now may be sold out since the last time you looked - therefore, a higher price is appearing.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 12:53 PM

If you don't mind changing planes in Dallas and Miami, Orbitz shows an American fare of $479 (I plugged in leaving in March, returning in April).

Even better on Orbitz, Delta is showing only $486 stopping in Atlanta.

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Mel! Obviously I need to check sources other than the Delta website. Plus, I was planning to go through ATL anyway.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:43 PM
Intrepid

Prices are based on the amount of competition an airline has on each route (or as the airlines describe it, "the market") and computers continually monitor the number of seats sold on each flight..continually re-pricing the remaining unsold seats to get the flight as far beyond the "break even" point as possible.
That said, prices can flutuate almost until the time the airplane door is closed...there is no guarantee that the price of a flight paid for long in advance won't drop (or increase). In other words, a total crap shoot.
Best strategy is to fly out of airports that have lots of competition on the route you want but, as you already know, that isn't always possible.
I would never peg my hopes for a flight price on the cost of gasoline since these may be totally unrelated to the price of jet fuel (JP4). Good luck.

Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:57 PM

i am having more luck lately calling the airlines and car companies rather than on the internet