RHS Garden Harlow Carr or Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal Water Garden

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2022, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a slight conundrum. It looks like we will only have time for one of these two attractions as we travel from York to Durham in May. I am leaning toward the latter at the moment. We would also like to stop by Ripon Cathedral on the way, What are your thoughts? No chance to visit all three, correct? I'm not getting any younger. Thanks.
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 03:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Depends on what you want -- Harlow Car is more of a flower garden in the Sissinghurst/Hidcote manner, while Fountains Abbey Studley Royal is a landscape garden (trees/water) with the magnificent ruined Abbey.

They really are totally different and both are great.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 12:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fountains Abbey, then Ripon Minster and finally Harlow Carr would be my priority
The Studley Royal building is a bit of a waste of time.

The main car parks are up on a river cliff, if in doubt walk past the Abbey first then either bank of the river towards Ripon (or split up and take a cliff each). Some could walk onto Ripon across the fields if you have time and energy. But someone would need to go get the car.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Jan 21st, 2022 at 12:09 AM.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 06:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
Depends on what you want -- Harlow Car is more of a flower garden in the Sissinghurst/Hidcote manner, while Fountains Abbey Studley Royal is a landscape garden (trees/water) with the magnificent ruined Abbey.

They really are totally different and both are great.

Just noticed the "Sissinghurst/Hidcote manner" bit. Looks like a silly typo but was more brain fade. I meant to post " . . . in the Sissinghurst/Hidcote Manor model" but somehow that morphed into Hidcote manner . . .

I'd generally agree with Bilboburgler's order of preference but in June the gardens at Harlow Carr should be very pretty. Honestly all three are good but if you really must eliminate one I'd also do Fountains/Studley Royal & Ripon. And because the two are so near each other, an easy two-fer.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I'm sure we'll get Tracy some pretty gardens later in the trip. Personally, I'm looking forward to the Poison Garden in Ainwick, although by then the crew might be plotting my demise.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely Fountains! The whole estate is magnificent and well worth its World Heritage status. I work as a volunteer guide in the Water Gardens!
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Morgana, If you see four crazy Americans stalking about, give us a wave.