Reload this Page >

Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens trip advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Suanne

We found incredible airfare on-line ($496/pp including taxes) so we finally have dates for our trip to Greece (October 9-21) and are looking for some advice. We are 2 active couples in our mid-late 20s traveling together. 3 nights Rhodes, 3 nights Santorini, 2 nights Mykonos, 3 nights Athens.<BR><BR>1. Will it still be warm enough to enjoy the water?<BR>2. Should we rent a car on Rhodes?<BR>3. Any preferences for hotels on Santorini: Sunrocks, Astra Apartments, or Tzekos Villas?<BR>4. Has anyone stayed at the Kouros Apartments in Mykonos?<BR>5. Can anyone recommend a good day trip outside of Athens? Or a good tour provider?<BR><BR>Thank you in advance!<BR><BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Sue

Trip to Delphi is a great day trip; hotel can help you with tour co. We left in a.m., back around 6 pm. Worth seeing.<BR><BR>That IS an incredible fare; do you mind sharing the airline and departure locale?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Suanne

We used www.discountflights.com (part of ETN). The website seemed very shady - but we could not pass up the fare. We fly out of Washington Dulles on Swiss (also Cross-Air) through Zurich ($395/pp + taxes). We used our American Express just in case something went wrong. We booked the trip and almost immediately received a confimation via email. It had a point of contact and a 1-800 number for some travel agency in LA. I called Swiss the next day just to confirm and picked out our seat assignments. The day after that the paper tickets arrived in the mail. So - all in all I would say that we were very nervous in the beginning but it was an absolute success.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:02 PM
fiona

where are you thinking of staying in Rhodes? I would recommend either Rhodes Town or Lindos. If you are only there 3 nights I would not bother hiring a car. <BR>Out of Athens a trip to Mycenae, Epidavros and Nafplion would be a must.If you fancy trying the ferries Hydra is the most beautiful island you are likely to see. However, I found that Lindos in Rhodes had a similar atmosphere- no cars, narrow winding roads,laid back.<BR>We were in Rhodes last October and found it to be surprisingly warm, even in the evening.<BR>It is difficult to give advice without knowing a little more about what you want from a holiday. For example I like to see the sites but also I need some relaxation time so I would not choose the amount of stops in the time you have available. I have not been to Santorini or Mykonos, although I have been to many other islands. Happy to help with any other questions you have on Rhodes or Athens.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Kat

Answers:<BR><BR>1) October is a comfortable month, not hot and not cold. Whether you want to enjoy the sea will be up to your taste--it'll be cold!<BR><BR>2) If you plan on visiting several places and want the freedom to choose your own schedule, renting a car on Rhodes would be great and fairly inexpensive if you get unlimited miles. Otherwise, the bus comes regularly and is inexpensive.<BR><BR>3) I've heard good recommendations from others about Sunrocks. I don't know the others.<BR><BR>4) Can't help with that one. If you didn't pre-pay, you can always go, and if it doesn't suit you, just find another nearby.<BR><BR>5) I agree with others above. I liked Delphi if looking for a day trip to the mountains and sites, Aigina if you're looking for a nearby island (not in your case because you're already visiting so many beautiful places!) or Napflio which is a seaside town up north that used to be the first capital of Greece. All of them are beautiful!!!<BR><BR>Have a great trip! I'll be there at the same time but in different places!<BR><BR>Kat

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Sue

Hi,<BR><BR>I love Greece. There are a lot of wonderful places to discover. Delphi, Myacenae, and Naflion are great suggestions. I have not been there in Oct., but I was in Spain during Columbus Day week (the middle of Oct.) and we swam in the Med. at that time. The water was delighful. I think Greece is as far south as Spain. Have a wonderful time. I am jealous.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Christina

Suanne,<BR><BR>Thanks for sharing your airfare success. We found tickets to Greece for September from the West Coast for only $800!!<BR><BR>Have fun on your trip in October! We're planning to go to many of the same places. If we have any tips to share when we get back, we'll let you know.<BR><BR>Christina

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:35 AM
Suanne

Fiona:<BR><BR>We are staying at the Hilton Rhodes Resort (aka Grecotel Rhodes Imperial) in Ixia about 4 km. from Rhodes Town. And I would say we are looking to see as much as we can - but at a moderate pace with some relaxation. Last year we did Venice, Tuscany, and Rome in 11 whirlwind days and had almost no time for relaxation at all.<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:02 AM
bobbie

I've heard great things about SunRocks and we could not get in there so we stayed at Loucas Hotel and it was wonderful, right on the side of the caldera, most magnificent views and lovely accomodations so you may want to consider it. Very private although right in Fira which was convenient for us since we like the action

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:30 AM
Paul

I stayed at the Tzekos Villas in Santorini and thought it was a nice little place, clean, decent rooms, nice balconies. I'm not familiar with the other hotels you mentioned so I don't know how it compares with them but if you ended up at Tzekos you wouldn't be doing half bad.<BR><BR>I also stayed at the Hilton in Ixia. You can take a cab into Rhodes town but the biggest beaches in that area are in Faliraki you can take a cab there too but you may be better off renting a car. You will definitely need a car if you want to explore the South and Western parts of Rhodes.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:04 AM
fiona

Suanne<BR>Definitely visit Rhodes Town in the evening. The old town around the Castle of Knights is just magic! Loads of good tavernas and plenty of atmosphere. also, as already mentioned you must visit Lindos.We went on a day trip on our first visit to Rhodes and vowed to stay there sometime- which we did.The climb up to the acropolis there will be a lot easier at that time of the year. And if you decide you haven't enough Greek islands on your itinery you can always visit Kos for the day! Have a great time!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:07 AM
sue

Hi,<BR><BR>My memory is the Ixia area of Rhodes is on the coast (north/west) that has a lot of surf and is windy. The coast on the other side (south/east) has calm waters and is easier to swim in. It might not matter to you, but I was struck by the difference in the water. Have fun.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:25 PM
Robin

On Rhodes we really enjoyed having a car. We stayed two (I think) nights in the old town, and then rented a car on the third day to drive to Lindos, which is well worth seeing. Then we continue in the same direction around the island, stopping a bit along the way, and returned the car at the airport. It was beautiful, and a change from being in town.<BR><BR>I doubt you would need a car for three days at your disposal, but consider getting one part of the time. Our hotel was able to arrange for it to be delivered. That might work for you too.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:27 PM
steve lyon

Just got back from a week in Rhodes,which is definately not long enough. Rhodes must be one of the most underated places in Europe, and Ive seen a lot of Europe.<BR><BR>We stayed in a delightful atmospheric Village called Lardos - well worth a visit at night for a romantic meal (try the Old Town Restaurant).<BR><BR>Rhodes Town requires more than one day to explore, but Lindos is probably 'do-able' in a day but should not be missed. My view would be to confine yourself to Rhodes and try the day boat trip to Lindos.<BR><BR>Faliraki is associated with younger clientele and all that goes with it - but the beaches are good.<BR><BR>One other point - both Rhodes Town and Lindos are full of touristy goods sellers which to some people might come over as tacky, but in actual fact the contrast (modern 'naff' souvenir stalls/shops)with the spectacular medieval/ancient architecture makes the hairs on your neck stand. What a place!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:18 AM
LivinginLondon

We just returned from a trip to Greece and Turkey. We were on a cruise so I can't really help on your lodging questions (except Athens).<BR><BR>We had one day on Rhodes and rented a car. It was definitely worth it - we made a great day trip to Lindos (only about 45 min drive along the coast), spent the morning at the Acropolis, had lunch and spent a few hours on the beach. On our way back to Rhodes Town, we went through Butterfly Valley and had a great dinner in the Old Town. It's easy to get around - lots of people had mopeds too, but the roads are pretty busy and I wouldn't recommend it.<BR><BR>I can't comment on any specific hotels on Santorini, but stay in Ia - it has to be one of the most beautiful places in the Greek Isles. I would also recommend a car in Santorini too so you can get to a winery and a black sand beach.<BR><BR>Athens was our least favorite - probably because we just had a week in the Isles. Lots of scaffolding because they're getting ready for the Olympics in 2004. It's a busy, noisy city but the Acropolis is impressive and it (hopefully) won't be too hot in October.<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Thomas Brown

Santorini is great, try Oia Mare Villas<BR>they have a pool and website. Oia is a cute little village built on the cliffs.<BR>Food, Oia Cafe and Ambrosia are owned by friends of mine Tony and Panos.<BR>1800 is fine dining and dress nice. Remeber nobody wears shorts at night and most disco's will not let you in.<BR>The disco's are in the village of Fira which is very busy. Stay away from a jewelry store named ORO in the village of Oia because they sell fake greek coins and have bad quality stones. The owners name is Alex and don't trust him.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Diane

On Mykonos I recommend Petasos Beach Hotel. www.petasos.gr/petasos_beach/home.htm<BR><BR>Saw Kouros Apts -- not in that great a location, in my opinion.<BR><BR>I stayed at Sun Rocks Villas on Santorini and liked it a lot. Had room #31. Couldn't have asked for more -- in a quiet area yet could walk into town. The bus to Oia stops near the hotel.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Sue

Recommend Princess of Mykonos on Mykonos. Not in Myk. town, but short taxi ride away, making it much quieter. Super rooms, friendly staff, pool, near beach, wonderful restaurant on premises. Two "celebrities" who have allegedly stayed there are Geo. Bush, Sr., and Jane Fonda, for whatever that's worth!