Notices

Rhine tour from Frankfurt

Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rhine tour from Frankfurt

Hi all,

I am still working on a trip to Germany in September and find that we are staying in Frankfurt for three days and two nights at the end of our trip.

Could you tell me if it is possible and/or easy to do a day trip on the Rhine from Frankfurt. We would like to catch a train to somewhere on the Rhine and take a hop on hop off boat tour and return to Frankfurt on the same day. Any thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Pharos
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 12:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the train in Frankfurt from track 24, that runs up along the Rhine all the way to Koblenz. Get off at Rüdesheim, which is on the right hand side of the river and get on your boat. Ride the boat to where every you want to get off, preferably on the left hand side and then take the train back to Frankfurt. Or stay on the train all the way to Braubach, tour the Marksburg castle, jump back on the train going to Koblenz and then take the train coming back to Frankfurt.

If you ride the trains up one side of the Rhine and down the other, you will have more time to visit the towns along the river and you will see the exact same castle and vineyards as the boat does, just more of them, since the trains run a whole lot more often then the boat does.

This direct train going to Koblenz, leaves every hour at 09:53, 10:53, etc.
Easy to do in a day. Buy a Happy Weekend ticket if you are going on the weekend or a Quer Durch Deutschland ticket for other days of the week. Travel is for after 09:00, but the tickets are good for up to 5 people, are valid all day, and are a huge savings.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 04:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best scenery lies between Rüdesheim (or Bingen, just across the river) in the south and Braubach in the north. You can cruise this stretch in 3 hours. Cruising all the way to Koblenz is possible but doesn't add much to the scenery, and you'll be deposited a healthy distance from the train station. Don't cruise north to south or you'll waste a lot of time on the boat (very slow in upstream direction, see schedule below.)

Hopping off the boat means you might not find another boat to hop back onto later. The schedules are pretty irregular, as you can see, so use the trains for visiting other villages once you're done with your cruise.

http://www.k-d.de/uploads/pics/fahrplan-hauptsaison.png

Marksburg is a real highlight. I would suggest a visit to Boppard, St. Goar, or Bacharach on the way back. After seeing Marksburg and Braubach, you'll catch a train north to Koblenz (about 12 min.) and connect there for a southbound train along the west (left) bank, where these towns lie.

I would also suggest that you subtract at least a night from Frankfurt and spend a little time in the area. Boppard has several wineries, a charming town square with outdoor cafes, and a cool chairlift ride. St. Goar's scenic situation includes 3 castles visible from town, and its Rheinfels Castle is a great place to begin a cliffside walk for some more unforgettable scenery. Bacharach's filled with some amazing half-timbered buildings. And I don't know exactly when you'll be there in September, but one town or another has a wine fest on, usually Friday through Monday, with Sat. night fireworks. The wine fests are lots of fun.

Not sure what you plan to see in Frankfurt, but you might even reverse your strategy, making one of these Rhine villages your base and doing a daytrip into Frankfurt from there.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 04:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ach ja, Rhein in Flammen! That's the fireworks (and festival) Russ is referring to. The Rhein in Flammen starts in May and runs through to September. Large barges anchor in the middle of the Rhine and firworks are let off in each town along the river at different times during the festival period. Again, not sure when in September you're in the region, but you may find the ones in Oberwesel on 10 Sep or the St Goar and St Goarhausen ones on 17 Sep coincide with your trip. If you can stay in/near one of the places suggested rather than the whole time in Frankfurt, you won't be disappointed.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 05:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Rhein in Flammen events are excellent - likely the best of all the fireworks shows - but are actually only a fraction of the festivities, on a handful of dates, between May and September. Oberwesel has a fest on the weekend of Oct. 17th as well. Bacharach has a fest on Sept. 3. Bingen has an 11-day fest starting Sept. 2; Boppard has fests on 2 consecutive weekends at the end of September. But to enjoy the area to its fullest, its best to spend a night or two.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 08:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rhine in Flames is an excellent choice if it's during your visit, we stayed in Oberwesel and sat in the grass on the banks of the river and enjoyed the music and fireworks, had friends who did the cruise to see the RiF and didn't care for the boat trip, said it was too long and the river very crowded. We have also picked up a day river cruise from Koblenz got off in Bingen and then took the train back as mentioned above. Have a great trip.
Susan
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for your help. It is so comprehensive. I never fail to get good advice. Although you recommend staying on the Rhine somewhere after 5 weeks of moving about I think we will stay put for the last couple of days. I haven't been to Frankfurt and really just want to have a good look around. But next time we will definitely plan to spen time on the Rhine.

Thanks again.

Pharos