Rhine/Mosel or Grindelwald/Jungfrau

Apr 19th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Debbie

Rhine/Mosel or Grindelwald/Jungfrau

We have a travel dilemma, albeit a nice one! We are in the process of planning a 4 nite trip in early June to either Oberwesel on the Rhine in Germany, or to Grindelwald in the Junfrau area of Switzerland. We will not have a car. Both are very appealing to us for a variety of reasons, and would go to both if we had the oppurtunity. But, we must choose one. I know some of you would ask, 'it depends on what you like to do?' The answer would be that both places offer things that we would like to do! So I ask those of you who have been to both, and had to choose one to return to, which would it be?
Thank you

Apr 19th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Paige

Jungfrau! But I'd stay in Muerren. I've been to the Rhine and the Jungfrau region and I'm dying to go back to Jungfrau. The scenery there is spectacular!

Apr 19th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Ed

Particularly without a car I'd argue for the Jungfrau region. But I too would stay in Mürren rather than car-clogged Grindelwald.

twenj

Apr 19th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Ed

Especially without a car I'd opt for the Jungfrau region. I too would far prefer the small mountain village of Mürren to car-clogged Grindelwald.

twenj

Apr 19th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Linda

Both areas are beautiful--depends on whether you want mountains or river. The best wine is in the Rhine/Mosel area and a nice cruise up/down the Rhine is interesting and relaxing (unless you succumb to the Loreli-kidding, of course). The Jungfrau is breath-taking and the train going to Lauterbrennan from Interlaken has a wonderful tall waterfall. If I had not been to either, I would choose Jungfrau but Germany is close behind.

Apr 19th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Russ

They are very different regions geographically, culturally, and historically! The Rhine/Mosel has a greater variety of things to see and do within these parameters than the Alps - there are castles to tour, big and small cities, boat rides, Roman ruins, museums, great cathedrals, wineries, chairlift rides, easy biking along the river valleys, and some terrific hikes. You do NOT need a car to see the Rhine/Mosel, one of the best-served rail routes in the country. The smallest villages seem to have long departure schedules.

Spectacular as it is, the Rhine/Mosel region is not as overwhelming as the Alps, however. If you want to experience breathlessness, go see the Jungfrau.

Search this Thread