Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Reykjavik, Belfast, or Glasgow? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/reykjavik-belfast-or-glasgow-655992/)

lisi Oct 30th, 2006 07:46 AM

Reykjavik, Belfast, or Glasgow?

Hi. I'm considering going to Reykjavik, Belfast, or Glasgow, from the 18-24th of November. From Florida, I have found cheap fairs to these places but don't know which would be the most interesting/scenic? Please advise...Thanks!

carioca4ed Oct 30th, 2006 12:09 PM

Since I live in Glasgow, and have been to Befast,I thought that I would respond to your thread....Glasgow,like Belfast used to be a great shipbuilding city...This is not true now...Glasgow now tries to attract a lot of tourists to see its Art Gallery and Museum,Museum of Transport,Museum of Religion,very old Cathedral,Provand's Lordship,(oldest house in Glasgow),Art College,(designed by C.R.Mackintosh),Gallery of Modern Art,Burrell Collection,(vast lifetime collection of Art,etc.,by wealthy man).I suppose that I am biased in that I want you to visit my city......(Belfast is interesting too).....Glasgow has cleaned up its buildings,is trying to attract tourists to visit ,as the heavy industry is not there to provide revenue and jobs....It does tend to get incredibly busy at weekends as the young people make a night of it in the city pubs and clubs....One of the pubs worth visiting is "The Horseshoe Pub"in Drury Street,near Central Station.......O.K.,I suggest that you make it Glasgow !!!!!

karlth Oct 30th, 2006 12:58 PM

If you are looking for interesting and scenic nature then I would recommend Reykjavik. The food is very good as well and of course the nightlife is very active, just as I gather in the other too cities.

But I'm biased too as I live here. :-)

Songdoc Oct 30th, 2006 02:32 PM

I liked Belfast . . . but it couldn't compare to the amazing scenery of the Antrim Coast. If it's scenery you want, you'll love the Giant's Causeway area -- about an hour's drive from Belfast. But I haven't been to the other cities.

lisi Oct 30th, 2006 05:26 PM

Hi. Thanks for the responses! I am leaning towards Glasgow. Someone else on this website was also raving about Glasgow.
What is typical weather for Glasgow during late November...still good to explore by foot? How far away is Edinburgh? Can you recommend a B & B in Glasgow, or other quaint, relaxing lodging? Thanks!

Jay_G Oct 31st, 2006 02:04 AM

Even though you say you're leaning towards Glasgow, which is understandable as it is a great city, I can't recommend Reykjavik highly enough.

Having not long returned from there, it is without a doubt one of the most interesting, unusual and exciting places I have ever been to. Whilst Glasgow is brilliant, it can't hold a candle to Reykjavik in my opinion. The people, nightlife, culure and food are all wonderful and unlike anywhere I have visited. Having said that, even though the air fare might be cheap, be prepared for stiff acommodation charges once you get there...

sheila Oct 31st, 2006 03:22 AM

Glasgow is a top city for things to do- pubs, clubs, restaurants etc-and shopping. It's not great on "sight" seeing and although it has masses of history, it's a bit obscure.

It will be damp in late November, but it'll be warm and toasty in your nice B&B.

Edinburgh's about an hour away by train; and would be good day out.

nessundorma Oct 31st, 2006 05:09 AM

I really was left flat by Reykjavik and found it extremely chilly even in September. Had I not be lucky enough to catch a day of sunshine, I don't think I would have much enjoyed the Iceland countryside either. How early does it get dark in Reykjavik this days. Also, my recollection is that food was quite expensive.

I spent time in Edingburgh, which I liked a great deal, and I was sorry I only passed through nearby Glasgow. I'm a big fan of Mackintosh.