Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Reykjavik Airport to City Center (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/reykjavik-airport-to-city-center-709084/)

stephanyhui May 30th, 2007 05:29 AM

Reykjavik Airport to City Center

Hello, my flight will be arriving at 6:27AM in Reykjavik. Could you tell me how long it normally takes go get to the city center, including the time for luggage claim, custom, waiting for bus, etc.?

Thank you very much.

stephanyhui May 30th, 2007 05:36 AM

From my research, it's abt an hour from the airport to the city center. While I know the answer may vary, I just wanted to get a sense of the custom, traffic, etc. Thank you.

capxxx May 30th, 2007 05:58 AM

That sounds about right. This is not a busy airport by any means, so there is no waiting in line, except for a few people waiting to buy the bus ticket from the machine.

The shuttle bus to the city is pretty much timed to individual flight arrivals. The bus is waiting by the time you get through everything.

The airport bus stops at a transfer station just outside of town, and you may end up switching to another bus to get to your destination.

There is no traffic to speak of, just a long drive to town on a two-lane highway.

cruiseluv May 30th, 2007 06:16 AM

That's right. Everybody seems to need to go to that transfer station. Once there it was a little chaotic, not good info as to when the next shuttle to our hotel would be. We got tired of waiting and grabbed a cab from there. But since we were close the taxi wasn't too expensive.

However, don't take a cab all the way from the airport . It'll be over $100.

stephanyhui May 30th, 2007 11:21 AM

Thank you very much to both. The information is much helpful.

going_2_africa May 30th, 2007 11:52 AM

Stephanyhui, when are you going to Iceland?

stephanyhui May 30th, 2007 12:05 PM

going_2_africa, I am going at the end of August.

going_2_africa May 31st, 2007 08:04 AM

Ah, ok. I am going on September 7th (arrive 8th).

I don't have any practical experience in Iceland as I haven't been before, but I did talk to someone at Iceland Air yesterday afternoon re: booking a couple of their day tour add-ons. I also land at 6:30 a.m. and wondered if I could make a 9:00 tour group for the Golden Circle. She told me it would be very tight to try to get through the entire airport process and get to my hotel for pick-up for the tour at ~8:30 - if that gives any better idea to your question. Might be more, might be less. You know how airport "stuff" can be. ;-)

Have a great trip. I'm very much looking forward to mine.

Shane

lexi_0906 May 31st, 2007 09:34 AM

Sorry to jump into this post....

going_to_africa, which "add-on" day tours are you doing with Iceland Air?

I leave for Iceland on August 16 and am thinking of doing the Westman Islands with boat tour and also the day trip to Greenland.

going_2_africa May 31st, 2007 12:23 PM

Lexi, I am doing the Golden Circle Tour and one of the Horseback riding "excursions" I believe, off the top of my head, it was called Lava Horseback, or something like that.

stephanyhui Jun 1st, 2007 09:57 PM

going_2_africa, thank you very much for your information. That's exactly what I was worrying about, arriving at 6:30AM and tour at 9. Please see if the following helps--

"If you feel your running out of time, just talk to our staff at BS?bus station and they help you with luggage so you can go straight from there to the tour." this is the email from the sales executive from Reykjavik Excursions. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Have a great trip :).

stephanyhui Jun 1st, 2007 10:00 PM

going_2_africa, another suggestion would be for you to get off at where the tour actually leaves (if such a stop is available), so that you will have 30 more minutes. Lugguge is another consideration. Most hotels in Iceland won't let you check in until the afternoon.

going_2_africa Jun 2nd, 2007 08:54 AM

Stephanyhui, that seems like a reasonable idea to consider. I already booked my add-ons. I saved the morning departure one for the next day and booked the Horseback excursion that leaves at 2 p.m. for the first day. Figured that way, I could at least drop my bag at the hotel, and get a bite to eat before, and don't have to worry about the stress of cutting it so close, in case of delayed flight, blah, blah, blah.

Have a wonderful trip. I can't wait.

Shane