Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rex- would like your advice..purchase train tickets in Europe or US?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Denise

We are scheduled to arrive Milan (Malpensa) at 11 Am. Trenitalia is no longer selling tickets online, but according to their schedule there is a Eurostar at 12 noon, a CIS train at 1 PM and an IC train every hour thereafter. Since time of arrival is in doubt, should I risk purchasing tickets when I arrive (July 19th- Friday) or purchase here from CIT tours? What happens if I do purchase here but miss the train due to airport delays?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Denise

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Denise

Sorry, forgot to add we are headed to Venice.<BR><BR>Denise

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Rex

My generic advice is always to buy tickets in Europe. Not worth the extra cost to buy and pay a markup from any source here in the US, and too many variables in most cases. All the more true in your case.<BR><BR>I have taken the train on this route once, and I don't think there was Eurostar service on this route at the time, but I don't remember it being uncomfortable at all. So, if you end up on one of the other hourly trains, I think you will be fine.<BR><BR>You can find info on Malpensa Express here on this forum as well, to get you from airport to Milano Centrale.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Tess

Denise,<BR><BR>My train travel experiences in Italy seconds Rex's advice --- in most cases, it's not worth extra money to buy tickets prior to your arrival. Especially as you've checked there are regular trains running between Milan-Venice. Do be aware it takes at least 50 minutes to get from Malpensa to main train station in Milan (Milano Centrale) where you will then catch your train on to Venice. So, I'd guestimate that with an on-time flight arrival, you'll maybe make the 1pm train (if your luggage pops out immediately & you get thru customs quickly) or more likely, it'll be the 2pm train. In either case, I'd also suggest buying first class seating. Second class is fine on the Eurostar, but it's worth a few extra $$$ for a 3-hr ride in first class on other trains.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Denise

Dear Rex and Tess,<BR><BR>Thanks for your advice. Since we also have to change planes at Heathrow, there is even more a chance of lost baggage, delays, etc. Tess, you're right, considering we are unfamilar with Milan, a 1 PM train might be a tight squeeze. <BR>If we have to wait for a train, we'll just kill time wandering around Milan. The positives of this could be that from what my daugher says, I will end up with a new wardrobe! I am hopeful it all goes smoothly. I tend to get nervous until I feel settled. Best case scenario would have been to fly directly to Venice, but our mileage was on American and they don't even fly direct to Italy. Thanks for the input. I feel better with the decision to wait.<BR><BR>Denise

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:50 AM
lena

Why do you have to ask Rex specifically, other people are not reliable? You can email him directly for advice

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:22 AM
RJ

Iena,<BR><BR>GET A LIFE!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Rex

She did e-mail me, and - - as I have said before, and I will say again - - I strongly prefer to answer questions here. I gave her the short answer "buy then there" in e-mail because she and I have corresponded before. But I asked her to post the question for a more complete answer.<BR><BR>If you think there is no merit in reading questions asked by others and answered by others, then why do you come to this forum?<BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Barb

You asked her to post the question here for a more complete answer primarily because you keep a personal tally sheet listing how many you have answered. Have you surpassed the 5000 mark yet? Will there be fireworks when you do? Free drinks?

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:21 PM
MJ

Boy some of you people are GREEN EYED. So afraid someone will get credit for helping people. All little morsels of information are so very helpful at making folks travels comfortable and Rex certainly fills that gap. Grow up.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Grow up

Barb and Iena, you have serious self esteem issues. This site exists to aid travelers so I am grateful when Rex answers a question here because I don't read Denise's e-mail.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Barb

It's said that when the sheep bleat loudly there is sure to be a forthcoming storm. baaaahhh! baaaahhh!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Rex

I don't keep a tally, Barb, because I don't have to. They're all still here, It's a database, you know. That's how it works. And anyone who wishes can search on your name or on mine, and find out how many hits there are.<BR><BR>And no, I have not yet posted on 5000 threads. The 4900 page isn't filled yet. You can look at it, if you wish.<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgTopics.jsp?fid=2&searchText=rbmd&start=4900<BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Denise

I have been using this site for over 4 years and for the most part people have always been very helpful, even if my question were redundant. Lately, I see such nastiness and basically "bitchy" replies aimed at belittling people. Had I not had a history of using this site and was new to it, I would never return. Some people here are just downright rude. I emailed Rex directly due to a prior post that he replied to. He was one of the few who advised purchasing in Europe and I wanted him to elaborate. I feel he is an experienced traveler and has always been helpful to me. I hold no grudges towards him as some of you obviously do. As he stated he prefered me to post my question so it would benefit others, which I respected. So to those of you who find it insulting that I placed his name in the title--grow up!<BR>To those of you who helped,<BR>Thanks<BR>.<BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:11 PM
offtopic

I don't find it insulting that the question was directed at Rex, but I, too, found it a bit unusual for such a general question. Perhaps it's a minor deviation from good BB etiquette, but I'm sure no one cares VERY much.<BR><BR>However, I want to point out that Lena's question, at least, seemed like an innocent enough inquiry, and all of you telling her to "grow up" and so forth might think twice about your reactions. If you think there is too much rudeness on the forum, why contribute further to the rudeness yourself? "Grow up" is not a particularly convincing rejoinder, by the way - it's one of my ten-year-old cousin's favorites. Denise, you got the information you needed from Rex, and confirmation of it from others, and Rex answered Lena's question anyway - if you wish to be polite and courteous users of this board, why not let it go at that?

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Liz Z.

Denise, <BR><BR>I landed in Milan and went straight to Venice too. It was the only train ticket I bought from CIT Tours (all the others I got locally). For me it was a VERY good feeling to know I would not have to deal with lines for train ticket purchases, jetlagged after an overnight flight, in a foreign language, with the possibility of having to wait another hour for the next fast train if the line caused me to miss the nearest train out. <BR><BR>If you miss the train due to airport delays I think you forfeit the seat reservation (and have to either purchase another or stand!) but you still have the ticket. So yes, it's a risk, but not a huge one.<BR><BR>I agree with Rex that it *usually* makes sense to buy tickets there--except if you are going straight to another city after landing!<BR><BR>Liz

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Rex

The answer from Liz is such a perfect example of why I ask(ed) Denise (and everyone who writes to me) to post question(s) here. Her answer is the best for two reasons. <BR><BR>1. She speaks from the exact experience that Denise is seeking. I am flattered by those who think I write good answers, but I am the one who chooses which questions to answer. When YOU choose for me, which question YOU want answered - - then chances are I will not be nearly so knowledgeable.<BR><BR>2. Even more importantly, she shared her personal "impressions", which is really what this question is about anyhow - - what is YOUR level of anxiety, when it comes to "lines for train ticket purchases, jetlagged after an overnight flight, in a foreign language" - - as she puts it. Traveling by myself, in a country whose language(s) I speak, these would never cause me much anxiety. But if I had children or other travelers with me, relying on me - - in Bulgaria, for example - - well then I might be just as anxious.<BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Bob C

Thank you Rex that was well spoken.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Rex

One last thought. If you want the specific input from someone whose e-mail address you know, then try sending them the URL for the post here - - instead of mailing them the question itself.<BR><BR>The URL for this thread is http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1388014<BR><BR>If you don't know to get that, please post her and I will walk you through the instructions. Basically "right click" on the message header in the left hand column and "copy shortcut" - - this puts it on your "cliboard" (Ctrl-V to "paste it").<BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 11:48 AM
up

up<BR>