Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rex, Elaine, Bob-Help with hotel at the Spanish steps.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Debby

You guys were great on our last trip. Yes Rex, I do suffer from too much info analysis. I jsut found that the info I got from you gys was better than the info I got from Rick Steves. His splurge hotel was our worst one.

We will be staying with family that will be at the Inter continental. Last time we stayed at the del Senato and liked it alot. The terrace was a treat!

Any suggestions for a hotel like that or the due torre at the Spanish Steps.I really want a charmer so I can show my sister how much you can learn from this site.

Debby

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Andy

Super Famous elegant hotel at top of Spanish Steps is the Hassler Villa Medici......they have an awesome rooftop restaurant that overlooks Rome-

Very fancy exclusive hotel-

Hope this helps---

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 02:55 AM
xxx

Debby, if you only want advice from those three people, why don't you email them personally?

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Dave

Despite the fact that I am not Rex, Elaine, or Bob....I will still see if I can't be of help. If you are looking for a "charmer" near the Steps, I have one that has worked for me in the past.
The Hotel Carriage is right down the street from the Steps, and around the corner from the "major shopping" street who's name I can't recall at the moment.

The benefit of the hotel, if you can get the "room" is that there is a private "villa" type room on the roof with its own terrace and views out over the city. Other than that the hotel is clean and comfortable, tho not spectacular by any means. I found being able to return to my own private Rome terrace at the end of the day to be quite a treat.
Best wishes for a great trip!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:58 AM
elaine

Hi Debby
A friend of mine stayed at the Carriage and liked it very much, though he mentioned that his room was small and that his room faced an air shaft, so it depends I guess on what you ask and pay for. If you're going in the warm weather, I understand that there is a rooftop terrace on which to have breakfast which sounds very nice.
I have not stayed at the following places near the Sp. Steps, don't know current prices, but have read only good things about them, on this message board and elsewhere:

Casa Howard
www.venere.com/it/roma/casahoward
not all rooms have ensuite bathrooms

Hotel Fontanella Borghese
www.fontanellaborghese.com

Hotel Gregoriana, via Gregoriana 18, near the Spanish Steps. The phone number there is 031-06-679-4269. fax 06 67 84 258.
Hotel praised on frommers.com website and in the book "Cheap Sleeps in Italy". Also praised highly in Karen Brown’s Italy "Charming Inns and Itineraries". Accepts credit cards? Rear rooms are especially quiet and some have balconies. Air conditioning. Rate includes breakfast?

Hope this helps

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:38 AM
fairfax

We stayed at the Hotel Condotti, just around the corner from the Spanish Steps, last February. It was wonderful and charming with lots of places to eat within two blocks. I think it was about 150E/night for a double room with bath/loo en suite. The staff was super-helpful, even checking the internet to find the score of the Maryland/Duke basketball game (MD won!). The price included a good breakfast, too.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Book Chick

I have stayed at Casa Howard & it's great, although the property on via Capo le Case doesn't have any balconies. Earlier this month, they opened up a second property (also a 5-room guest house) on via Sistina, which is also in the Spanish Steps neighborhood.

You can check out their web site at www.casahoward.com

They are extremely customer-service oriented and made my last stay in Rome a delight. In less than 3 weeks, I am returning, and will be staying in their property on via Sistina.

Buon Viaggio,
BC

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 06:30 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Debby, You have gotten great advice above. I would merely add the Hotel La Scalinata to the Spanish Steps locale and would mention the Cesari as my wifes favorite Rome hotel. Good luck !

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Debby

Thanks for all of the great advice. This forum makes planning a trip fun and exciting. I certainly did not mean to insult anyone by not including them, and I thank all of you who responded.

I'll let you know what we plan.

Thanks

Debby

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Pam

A comment on the Scalinata de Spagna:we stayed there this past october for 5 nights. We had booked our room based on a variety of recommendations.We had not been to Rome before and thought the Spanish Steps might be an ideal area in which to stay. I will say our room was clean and quiet. But..at $330euros/noc I wouldn't stay there again. We did not find the staff to be particularly helpful and one gentleman(?) acted quite put out when we asked for help with a cab..the breakfast is old and tired and the "rooftop terrace" is a stretch on description. I think this hotel used to be a gem however after refurbishing something doesn't quite happen like it used to. Others have suggested places in the neighborhood which I would suggest you check out before the Scalinata. Lots of folks have posted here about the Albergo del Senato which I think is by the Pantheon. Here is something else to bear in mind when staying at the top of the Spanish Steps..climbing those 115 steps after a day of touring can be quite a workout. If you do stay there find the subway station at the base of the steps. It has an elevator to the top.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:32 AM
pam

Whoops sorry...I just reread your post and you know more about Del Senato than I could tell you. Have a great trip!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Joanneaj

Debbie, I have stayed in Scalinata di Spagna and agree that it is now over-priced. Last month, our party of six stayed in two suites at Internazionale Domus (internazionaledomus.com) They also have an apartment. The building, when you are facing the Steps, is the second one on the left, and the apartments are up on the third or fourth floor. Our room literally overlooked the steps. The suites include a "kitchenette" in a cabinet, and lots of storage. Service is excellent. If you don't need other hotel services, you should check this one out.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 07:34 PM
up

up

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Rex

This will be too little (and perhaps too late - - I was away for the past few days) - - but I do not the hotels around Piazza di Spagna like I do around the Pantheon.

If you want something more "at the bottom" (geographically) of the steps, then there is a small(er) boutique-style hotel near Via Condotti - - called (drum roll...) Hotel Condotti.

See www.venere.com/it/roma/condotti for more info - - it is not actually ON Via Condotti interestingly enough (less than a half a block off) - - but it is very nice I think, and it is considerably below Hassler in price, altitude and maybe "luxury" level. Just another candiate to consider (and add to your decision paralysis!)

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 10:16 AM
marina

i stayed at the d'inghilterra hotel
which is very close to spanish steps.
it is on via bocca di leone; very
nice area with great shopping! the
service was first class.