Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rex - Are you there, or are you in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:33 AM
DAVE

I didn't know how else to post in order to ask Rex how in the world he got a biz class fare to Rome for less than 1000$, so please excuse me if this post doesn't interest you. If someone knows a better way to ask this question directly of Rex, I'd be glad to know it......but in any event, Rex, if you're out there, please let us know how Expedia could have come up with this fare,,,Its spectacular, and I'd love to take my wife on the same deal. Thanks in advance for your help....Dave

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:38 AM
get

Well DAVE (aka Rex) since his name and e-mail appear on practically every post on Fodor's, whether he has anything useful to babble about or not, it's not too difficult to find his e-mail address, now is it?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:49 AM
DAVE

Hi Get!! Thanks for the "helpful" info, but actually I have tried his email, and storage is full.....Perhaps to avoid flames from someone like you....If you remember the thread I'm referring to, perhaps you'd have an idea of what I'm looking for. But thanks anyway for your kind words.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Vita

Dave, I topped the message: Why all the questions about safety?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:11 AM
DAVE

Vita - Not certain I understand what you mean by questions about "safety"? I am simply trying to find out what trick it took to get such a biz class fare to Rome....Thanks

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Rex

My e-mail box is not full - - perhaps you looked at some ancient post listing a hotmail address for me. That does get overstuffed (99% with spam) at times, and I only look at it about once a week or so.<BR><BR>The fare you're asking about was aone time deal - - a once-in-a-lifetime deal, perhaps - - $900 for Detroit (and selected cities in Indiana and Michigan on Northwest - - we flew out of Evansville), exclusively in and out of Rome. And only on a handful of dates. And yes, it was business class, not $900 one-way - - $900 roundtrip!!<BR><BR>Still we WERE able to make it work for us - - and I was ecstatic that they actually had SIX seats at that price on dates we could use.<BR><BR>I feel like I owe this entire VERY special trip to www.eurotrip.com - - and to Don in particular. Even he agrees that it was one of the top ten bargains he has ever seen in a lifetime.<BR><BR>For what it's worth, I answer e-mails sent directly to me, but not quickly. I much prefer to see the same questions asked here - - just because I so, SO strongly support the concept. PUBLIC answers to PUBLICly asked questions help lots of people. Private answers help one person. And I like the "cross-examination" and tangential answers that often ensue.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Rex

Oh, and one last thing - - you're talking about a fare I described in the spring of two-thousand-ONE (for travel in May) - - not two-thousand-TWO.<BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Rex

Just topped my original post about this - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1286793<BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Rex

Well, this is pure speculation - - but around that time, there were big labor disputes brewing in the mechanics' union, and there was substantial sympathy in the automotive industry unions. I submit that automotive industry execs are a major chunk of the biz class travelers from the Michigan/Indiana area - - and they were canceling left and right - - for fear of throwing gasoline onto the fire - - or for fear of being on canceled flights.<BR><BR>Of course, this doesn't explain why (only) Rome for such a promotion?<BR><BR>The bottom line reason for any sale is: empty seats. They generate NO revenue.<BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:00 PM
ttt

ttt