Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Revised Paris itinarary - need suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/revised-paris-itinarary-need-suggestions-342702/)

elyang Apr 13th, 2008 12:15 PM

Revised Paris itinarary - need suggestions

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for giving me so much help on my previous itinarary. Taking all of your suggestions into consideration, I've come up with a new one with much less activities. Please comment on it. Thanks in advance.

Sun:
Arrive at around noon
Light lunch at a nearby café
Supermarket – Franprix on rue de Sèvres (DH & I only)
Light dinner at home
8 pm: Seine cruise

Purchase:
4-day Museum Pass
1-week metro/bus pass

Monday:
Louvre
Lunch: picnic in Jardin de Tuileries
Musee de l’Orangerie
Champs Elysees
Dinner: Chez Clement on Champs Elysees
Arc de Triumph (won’t go up)

Tuesday:
Musee d’Orsay
Lunch: Cafe
Musee National Rodin
Dinner: Home

Wed:
Musee Marmottan
Tour Eiffel (won’t go up)
Lunch: Crepes on Rue Cler
Pantheon
Jardin du Luxembourg
Walk around Latin quarter
Dinner: home or at Latin quarter

Thurs:
Centre Culturel G. Pompidou
Musee Picasso
Lunch: falafel (pita bread sandwich) on Rue de Rosiers
St. Chapelle
Notre Dame
Berthillon
Dinner: Les Ombres 8pm (DH & I only)

Fri: No museum pass
Outlet for half day (DH & I only)
PM:
Basilique de Sacre
Montmartre
Dinner: Leon de Bruxelles (Mussels)

Sat:
Versailles: Forfait Loisirs pass
Dinner: Brasserie Ile St. Louis

Sun:
Departure

djkbooks Apr 13th, 2008 12:46 PM

The Musee Marmottan is not included on the museum pass, so you may want to switch that to another day.

maryanntex Apr 13th, 2008 12:51 PM

The view from the top of the Arc de Triomphe is great, so I'd recommend going up in it. We walked up--284 steps, I think. If your parents don't want to walk, I think there is an elevator that will allow you to avoid most (but not all) of the steps.

bachslunch Apr 13th, 2008 01:00 PM

Looks very manageable to me and hits much of the good stuff.

I'm assuming the falafel place you want to try is L'as du Falafel on 32 Rue des Rosiers. I've tried their falafel sandwich and it was absolutely delicious and arguably as cheap as Paris gets for food as good. When I was there, there was a place across the street with someone trying to wave people in, though no one was biting.

Also don't know if you're keen to fit another museum into Wednesday afternoon, but if your museum pass is still good, you might have time to poke into the Cluny Museum, which is not far from the Pantheon and in the Latin Quarter -- worth it for the Lady and Unicorn Tapestries alone. The Pantheon struck me as a short visit when I went.

Fodorite018 Apr 13th, 2008 01:07 PM

Looks good. We had dinner at a Chez Clement last summer and really enjoyed it. Definitely try to go up at both the ET as well as the Arc d' Triumph. We used the elevator at the AT last summer with my mom. It isn't real obvious, and we did have to ask for someone, but they were very kind and it was no big deal. My mom was very glad that we went up.

Underhill Apr 13th, 2008 01:18 PM

elyang,

FYI, it's the basilica of Sacré-Coeur. There's a great view from the area.

cw Apr 13th, 2008 01:21 PM

Great improvement. You now definitely have time to enjoy Paris at leisure and to explore. Hope you'll report back after the trip.

elyang Apr 13th, 2008 02:36 PM

Great! Thanks, everyone!

DH and I will try to walk up Eiffel tower and Arc d' Triomphe, but of course we will have consider my parents and how long the lines are. We will see...

And thank you, Bachslunch, for giving me the name of the falafel place.

MrNuke Apr 13th, 2008 02:40 PM

Both the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triumph can be summited with minimal stairs as both have elevators. I would consider doing one or both.

MademoiselleFifi Apr 13th, 2008 03:39 PM

Most of the museums stay open late at least one evening of the week, and the Pompidou almost every evening, so I'd do museums in the evenings whenever possible and leave mornings free for outdoor stuff.

THE famous Rue Cler crepe guy died years ago, and you can get good crepes all over the city, so there's no need to go Rue Cler just for crepes. (The street WAS lovely about 7 or 8 years ago, but now many of the more charming little shops have closed and been replaced by less interesting stuff).

Go up to the top of Notre Dame if you can fit it into your schedule.

jdraper Apr 13th, 2008 03:46 PM

This looks like a very managable schedule to me with some time left to just wander and enjoy a glass of wine if you want.
The stairs to the top of the Eiffel Tower will be quite a workout, especially for your parents. I would consider taking the elevator but if you don't make it to the top just make sure you enjoy the view from Sacre Coeur, priceless. Enjoy J