Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Reutte/Garmisch Between Christmas and New Years? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/reutte-garmisch-between-christmas-and-new-years-1145507/)

fourfortravel Nov 3rd, 2016 10:13 AM

Reutte/Garmisch Between Christmas and New Years?

Dear Fodorites,

We are thinking of four days following Christmas for a little snow walking/light hiking and otherwise hanging out as a family (2 adults, 2 youth, 15 and 20) in the area. I already have cancellable reservations for a family apartment (Family Hotel Tirolerhof) for flexibility. We have quite thoroughly toured Munich and surrounds, and have visited Linderhof, Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. Innsbruck, Salzburg, and Berchtesgaden, as well, have been visited more than once or twice, as well as GAP.

My questions:
1. What might we expect in terms of weather, generally, at this time of year?
2. Though we are not opposed to revisiting any of the above areas, where else might we consider for day outings/hiking/snowshoeing? We have all of the proper equipment for winter outdoor activities, and will be driving our personal vehicle, so driving somewhere is not an issue.

In advance, thank you.

Macross Nov 3rd, 2016 11:31 AM

http://www.gapa.de/Garmisch-Partenki...venture_Winter

I would love to toboggan.
Have you done the gorge and the walk above the gorge? I did the gorge two times before knowing about the trail above. A little beer garden on the way down was nice.

fourfortravel Nov 3rd, 2016 10:53 PM

Macross, thank you. Our son has hiked in the gorge, but we have not. We're up for tobogganing, as well.

Cowboy1968 Nov 3rd, 2016 11:46 PM

Your one-stop destination for information should be the official TI website of your destination:
http://www.zugspitzarena.com/en
You will find 'winter activities' under 'Activities' (scroll down a little) - the website has not yet switched to winter mode.

The area where you will be staying is a good destination, especially during the shoulder season when winter is not yet fully there. While Munich or even GAP are under a low hanging grey sky, the Ausserfern is just that much on a higher elevation to be above the late autumn fog.

Weatherwise it can be anything from green pastures in your area to snow-covered winter wonderland. If there is no snow in the lower elevations, you always find enough to ski or rent a toboggan on the middle or top elevations of Zugspitze mountain.
Otherwise you find all the typical winter activities in your area, so you hardly have to drive for more than 10-20 minutes to get to trail head parkings. Or start cross-country skiing right from your hotel's front door. The area has an extensive (and easy to handle on flat terrain) network of groomed cross-country (and winter walking) trails.

The longest natural toboggan run is in nearby Lermoos.
Take Grubigstein cable car to the halfway stop at Grubigstein Alm, and ride all way down (more than 3kms) to the valley stop of the cable car. IF there is enough snow, of course.

The small towns in the Inn valley (West of Innsbruck) can offer a break with some castles, churches, nice town centers etc. if you get the small village blues.
Just keep in mind when traveling/driving the Inn valley that the major artery (A12 motorway) requires the Austrian motorway toll sticker. But toll free federal highway B171 runs parallel to A12, so you don't need the motorway to get around. It's easy to stay off the motorway when you set your GPS to 'avoid toll roads' - also with free GPS apps like 'here' which do not require a mobile internet connection if you download the map for Austria first (while still at home).

fourfortravel Nov 4th, 2016 12:12 AM

Cowboy1968, thank you; your information is just what I am seeking. The plan was "hatched" over dinner last evening. Time needs to be spent on the official travel sites, naturally, something now on my to-do list, but I like to read personal impressions, as well.

Since we are driving our personal (Austrian-tagged) vehicle we have the annual vignette, but scenic roads are always preferred.

Can you suggest any villages in the Inn valley? We have visited Hall in Tirol for its Christmas market and loved our visit.

sla019 Nov 4th, 2016 09:30 AM

I like Rattenberg, the smallest Austrian "city", which in spite of its apotropaic name, is a medieval gem.

Cowboy1968 Nov 5th, 2016 03:02 AM

fourfortravel -

Sorry, I forgot that you are based in Austria, or have lived there, so obviously you know about the vignette :-)

Regarding the small towns along the Inn:
IMO, none of them compares to Hall.
Towns like Imst are nice for a stroll - but more in the domain of 'another nice small town in Austria'. Not something more spectacular, like Hall.

One exception might be Stams - the Stift / abbey is quite a gem.
http://www.stiftstams.at/?lang=en

When I lived in Munich until last year, I took many trips to the Ausserfern region - or what is in between Reutte and GAP on the Austrian side of the border.
IMO, its major asset is being free of 'major must-see sights', enough of winter sports facilities to keep you busy - but without the masses that crowd the big resorts. Also the lack of good downhill slopes (exception Zugspitze) keeps the masses drive through the Ausserfern to Ötztal/ Sölden. So it's just quieter, better for winter hiking and cross-country than downhill.

The road from Reutte to Linderhof along Plansee is quite scenic. But you probably already know that since you visited Linderhof already.

The adjacent (to the West) Lechtal (B198) is another nice area - but also there you lack the ski slopes at higher elevations which are crucial to have a winter circus with snow guaranteed.

A very scenic drive, though, is the Silvretta road West on the border or Tirol and Vorarlberg. But it will be closed when you get there, unfortunately.

fourfortravel Nov 5th, 2016 09:07 AM

Cowboy1968, thank you again. We are (happily) still in Vienna and loving our opportunities to explore Austria and surrounds.

Your suggestions have been noted as I endeavor to put together a post-Christmas holiday. None of us ski (yes, I know, yet we live in Austria!), but winter hiking and sledding appeal greatly so the Ausserfern sounds appealing.