Returning a Rental Car to MXP

Jul 14th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Returning a Rental Car to MXP

This is just a quick post about returning a rental car to Malpensa, which we did yesterday.

I looked extensively on line and could find nothing about where the facilities were located at the airport and it is confusing.

Assuming you’re departing from Terminal One, as you approach the airport there are signs (relatively last minute) that state “Car Hire”.
Follow these and you should, if lucky, see a sign directing you to your car rental company.
We had an Avis car and that seemed comparatively simple but was only one of a few I saw listed.

We tried to fill the car at a gas station a few kilometers from the airport but the automatic cash machine devoured our 50 Euro note and refused to give us gas.
As soon as the attendant saw this, he closed the station.
So much for gas and customer service near the airport.
I’d suggest filling up a little further ahead of time.
Jul 14th, 2011, 06:28 PM

Welch, Your post is so timely. I haven't been able to figure out where to return the car at Malpensa either. This helps. Also, thanks for the tip about the gas station rip off. We were be on guard!
Jul 14th, 2011, 07:25 PM

I just returned a car to Malpensa earlier this week and while the signs are not huge, they were visible.

The big problem we had with Malpensa was getting our AVT back, which was a real ordeal. If you're flying outside the EU, you're probably going to have a gate in Area B. If you're going to check your purchased goods, then you need to haul your bags all the way over to the customs office in the far end of Area A, get your stamps, go to the Global Blue refund point and then go back to Area B to check your luggage. It's a good 10-minute walk in each direction, with bags. If you want to carry on your purchased items, then you have to check in, go through security and then search for the little office where customs stamps your goods. Nobody who works in Malpensa appears to have any idea where that little office is. You need to allow at least an extra half hour to go through this process.
Jul 15th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

No kidding about the tax refund!

We were told to wait till we got to Frankfurt.
Unfortunately the gate we departed from at Frankfurt was a very long walk through security to customs for the tax rebate.

We would have missed our flight had we followed through with the tax rebate at either Frankfurt or Malpensa.

If you've done a lot of shopping or are counting on this allow a lot of extra time!

And underradar, I'm glad it was clear to you where to return your rental car.
We were prepared but found the driving more chaotic than usual, as there were many people who didn't know what they were doing (ourselves included).
There's was a lot of last minute lane changing and sudden stopping.

Oooo.. driving in Italy is such a treat!