Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Returned from 4 nights in beautiful Dubrovnik

Old May 13th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

After moving to the UK to live last year, we have travelled so much and been away on so many trips, I can never find the time to do a trip report. I often feel quite guilty as I get so much terrific information off this forum. So, here is a short report on beautiful Dubrovnik.

We flew out of London Luton a week ago, on Friday with Thomsonfly to Dubrovnik, returning on Tuesday, staying 4 nights in the Old Town at the Amoret Apartments, which we would recommend.

www.dubrovnik-amoret.com/

We stayed in the Divona apartment, 80 euro, no breakfast, very clean and comfortable, limited kitchen facilities, it had a good view of the cathedral and square etc. Branka, the owner, was very nice and helpful and we would stay there again, though it was a little noisy at times with sounds drifting up from the street and restaurant below and the church bells etc (we didn't mind it). We caught the Atlas bus from the airport to the Pile Gate (pronounced pill-ay) at the Old Town, 35 Kuna each (they take Euros too). On the way back we had to catch a taxi as the buses are scheduled to meet the flights and they hadn't scheduled a bus when we needed one. Taxi was 200 Kuna plus tip, trip takes about 20 mins.

Dubrovnik Old Town is quite small, clean and well-kept with beautiful medieval buildings. It's easy to get around with lots of stairs though the very centre is flat, where the Stradun is (main street). There are quite a few cats and dogs about, they are friendly and well looked after and it was lovely to see them in the bars and restaurants. Most of life is lived outside, with most of the seating in the restaurants and bars outside. We went twice to the most spectacular bar, the Buza Bar, which clings to the outside cliff wall. To find it, look for the large sign saying Cold Drinks on the ocean side of town. You can see the bar if you do the walk on the walls. We thought food in general was OK but nothing to rave over. The Croatians don't seem to 'do' breakfast, it's a bit like Italy, mainly a pastry and coffee.

Things we did:

We did a guided walk of the Old Town, there are a few different guided walks which don't need to be reserved in advance.

We paid 50 Kuna each to walk along the walls, took us 1.5 hours with lots of photo stops along the way. This is a must for any visitor.

There was a mountain opposite the Old Town with a huge cross on top and a cable car station that was destroyed during the 91/92 war. My husband decided it would be good to climb up to see the views and it was great but my legs were sore for days after. Some people caught taxis up there, that's another option.

We also caught the ferry to Lokrum, 10 min ride, 35 Kuna return each. Lokrum was lovely, there are swimming holes, an old fort with panoramic views, a cafe and toilets and it was very peaceful and green with lots of Australian plants. We are Australian so it was quite strange to smell the Australian eucalypts on a small Croatian island.

We really enjoyed our time there and thought it a dreadful shame that so many visitors off the cruise ships spend just a few hours there. The Croatians seemed friendly and honest with a good sense of humour. Most speak some English, we had no trouble with the language. We would love to go back and see more of the country, we flew back along the coastline and it looked wonderful.

Any questions, I'm more than happy to help if I can.
Kay
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the report. It sounds fantastic. We haven't made it there yet but it is on our list!!
Old May 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM

How do you find such day tours and cruises - are there travel agencies? I am looking for some obscure excursions, like the daytrip to far off Miljet Island for example, that may not be findable by casual walking around.

Are credit cards accepted for larger amounts? I may not have the right change when facing charges for accomodation or lengthy boat trips. Any hope for finding vegetarian meals (casual)? tks
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

To Where2 - hope you enjoy it as much as we did when you finally get there!

To Viking -

For day tours and cruises, you can always ask at the place you are staying or go to the tourist office - in Dubrovnik this is outside the Pile Gate, almost opposite the Hilton. Also at the harbour there will be information on where the boats go and prices. There are also travel agencies as well, in Dubrovnik, there was one called Atlas Travel which was just outside the Pile Gate (to the left down some stairs). I wouldn't say going to Miljet is an obscure excursion, many travellers go there but it's a lot further away from Dubrovnik than Lokrum.

Regarding credit cards, we could not pay for our room with a credit card, we paid cash but there are ATMs everywhere so you shouldn't have trouble getting money out. I'm sure some places would take credit cards, you'd have to ask.

Most places we ate had a varied selection of food. It depends on what exactly you eat, you can get omelettes if you eat eggs, there is fish and seafood available. Other than that, it's probably a salad, although we did have very good pizza so you could get a vegetarian pizza fairly easily.

Good luck with your planning.
Kay
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Thanks for posting Kay, I'm going in October and really looking forward to exploring Dubrovnik.