When to book flights

Old Dec 1st, 2016, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to book flights

Hi,

Planning on heading to Paris in July 2017. How far in advance should I book the flight? have my eye on a specific, non stop 10pm flight, but not sure how soon I should book so as not to miss out on that specific one. Worried about the cost if I need to cancel for any reason.

Thanks.

PS Anyone familiar with a decent airBnB in Paris (with air conditioning)?

thanks
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 07:26 AM

You book when you are ready and you think the price is right. There is no right or wrong time.

Take out insurance in case you have to cancel. It should cover accommodation, flights, etc.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 08:38 AM

I never book ahead of about 3-5 months. So for July, I try to be making my arrangements for flight, at least, around February-March. Maybe April if I can't make up my mind what I want to do.

Prices go up as it gets closer, but I doubt if all seats being sold out will be a problem unless you wait until 1-2 months before the flight.

I don't know what reasons you envision as making you cancel, but I would buy trip insurance if you are concerned about that and your reasons don't involve that you just may change your mind or something trivial like that. If you think you could break your leg or something, even that may not be covered by trip insurance if it's just an inconvenience and you may not be able to do the same things, but could easily fly. A death in a close family or serious illness that means you can't fly should be covered. Unless you buy "cancel for any reason" insurance and that can be expensive.

Besides, you don't lose the entire air fare if you cancel except maybe some real budget unusual airlines (not the big ones). there is a change fee of about $200 nowadays, I think, but you aren't out the entire ticket fee.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I strongly suggest you read ANY travel insurance policy thoroughly before spending money. You might just be amazed at what is and is not covered including some of those things other people "think" would be. It is up to you, obviously.

I do not understand the rationale for waiting to book flights unless you have some absolute knowledge that the price IS going to come down.

And nobody HAS that. If they did, everybody would book at the same time.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 09:04 AM

There have been some REALLY good sales recently for flights next year. If you have a plan, I'd arrange for notifications on Google flights.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 09:42 AM

>

Most of those sales have been for the spring or late winter.

To the OP: get a hotel. Most short-term rentals in Paris are illegal.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 10:11 AM

>

And the authorities are cracking down on illegal rentals in Paris.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 10:21 AM

Sign up for price alerts on Google Flights or Skyscanner. I was able to secure tickets for mid August at one third the normal fare on Delta. The sale lasted about a day. I couldn't book my first choice as I waited too long but was able to book an alternative airport at the same price. Adjusted my destination slightly to accommodate. The sale allowed me to choose my desired dates of travel over a period of about 9 months out.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 10:29 AM

Air France has had some amazing sales in recent days. Keep an eye on them. I don't know how far out they are for, but it's worth signing up for alerts from them. You may also be able to do a good deal on Icelandic, with even a stopover in Iceland if you like - that's what we've done the last two times we flew to France.

Don't do Airbnb in Paris. Get a hotel.