Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Retrait des billets au contrôle - does that mean pick up tickets at the box office?

Retrait des billets au contrôle - does that mean pick up tickets at the box office?

Jan 20th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Retrait des billets au contrôle - does that mean pick up tickets at the box office?

I want to buy some tickets for the Cabaret production at Folies Bergere. The ticket options are:
Retrait des billets au contrôle (Gratuit)
Envoi simple (2.5 Euro)
Envoi recommande (5.5 Euros)
Envoi recommande etranger (10 Euros)

I just wanted to confirm that retrait des billets au contrôle means to pick up the tickets at the box office.
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

In case anyone is interested, the link for ordering the tickets is here:
http://tinyurl.com/2znsct
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM

You're right Will
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Coco!

Is a STRAPONTIN - a folding seat - just a typical seat? I picked out pretty good seats at the front of the first balcony.
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:41 PM

You are correct, and other options are about various means of shipping - normal mail, insured mail and insured mail abroad.
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

I bought the tickets - they were at the lowest price and seemed to be well-positioned. If the seats are terrible, I guess I will find out . This is very conveniently located near to our hotel.
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:22 PM

A strapotin is a folding seat. Most likely at the end of the aisle.
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Those folding seats aren't just typical seats, they are not as nice and should be cheaper. They aren't going to be as big or comfortable as a regular seat, and I don't think they have a back. Have you been on the metro in Paris? They are somewhat similar to those folding seats near the doors.
Jan 20th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

I've seen the folding seats on the metro. I figured that must be what they are like. These seats are on the aisles and in the front row of the first balcony, and I like that part at least.
Jan 20th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Here's the info that I got in the email ticket receipt:
Selon la méthode d'obtention de vos billets que vous avez sélectionné
lors de votre commande, vos billets seront:

- soit à retirer 45min avant le début du spectacle sur le lieu de la
manifestation, sur presentation d'une pièce d'identite et du mail de
confirmation.

So basically I have to show up 45 minutes before hand at the place of the performance, with ID and the confirmation email.
Jan 20th, 2007, 10:00 PM

The "contrôle" and the box office are usually two different things, but the "contrôle" is clearly marked (often with additional words like 'agences, invitations, internet, téléphone'), so there should be no confusion. It tends to be an open podium near the box office in most theatres.
Jan 21st, 2007, 10:40 AM

yeah, that's a good point. It isn't often the box office (although I have no idea at the Folies Berger). At the Opera Garnier, for example, it's a kind of booth in the center of the floor if you walk in from the front, whereas the box office is far over to the right.
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

We had no problems picking up the tickets, and the production was enjoyable.
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:13 AM

But how were the seats? we want details
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

The strapontin seats have wooden backs, and a normal cushion and they fold out into the aisle. My daughter and I had two adjacent fold-down seats. These seats are narrow (narrower than a Ryanair seat, say), and you will be in extremely close proximity to the person who has the other strapontin.

The usher told us we could sit in the first row of the balcony area in normal seats until the show started, which we did. For some reason, for the first act the seats in the first row of the balcony area were all empty (it must be for view reasons for the other theatre-goers). But in the second act, people from the strapontins behind us moved into those first-row seats. I guess we could have also, but I was afraid of doing something wrong.

Because we had the first set of strapontins, we at least had legroom. But people in strapontins behind us (and they appeared to be in use all the way up to the top balcony row) would have been crammed in both lengthwise and widthwise. You definitely would not want to get a single strapontin and have to share the space with a stranger.

With the strapontins in use, all of the center aisle was blocked. Presumably people would jump up in the event of an emergency, but I doubt these would pass muster at an American theatre.

Search this Thread