Retiro Park or Casa de Campo

Apr 17th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Retiro Park or Casa de Campo

Hello-
My family and I will be ending a 3-Week European Adventure this August. I have 3 children (ages 14, 8 and 4)..... I have a park day designated for one afternoon (Sunday). Which park would be a better choice for the kids.... Retiro or Casa de Campo? I've read there is entertainment in Retiro on Sundays however, it sounds like a lot is going on at Casa de Campo as well. Suggestions/Feedback????

Also, any suggestions for a local swimming pool? What is the hottest point in the day?

Thanks in advance.
Apr 17th, 2007, 11:46 PM

No doubt for me : Retiro park.
Apr 18th, 2007, 02:24 AM

All the kids will probably enjoy the Mimes performing along the Esplanade in el Retiro. I like some Musical groups, except maybe some from South America (Peru and Ecuador). I've been lucky to see/hear a Cantaor de Flamenco there.

El Retiro is so centrally located that I prefer it, hands down.

I must confess that I haven't been to Casa de Campo for about 10-years, so I can't comment on that.
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:35 AM

Just to echo the votes in favor of the Retiro. It's well maintained, lots of people strolling, street vendors, lots of things to keep you occupied, and nice places to just walk and enjoy being in a park.

The Casa del Campo is a huge expanse of undeveloped land with a lot of trees and roads running through it. The amusement park is stuck somewhere in or near there, and there's the funicular ride, but that's about it. Lots of locals bring picnics and pull off the road -- it's a nice respite from the city for those who live there, but not a park in the same way the Retiro is. And at night, there are always lines of ladies and others offering their wares, which might be jarring if you're not prepared for it.
Apr 18th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone....... Sounds like Retiro Park is awaiting our arrival! ;0 )