Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Resturant or other Recommedations in Prague and Vienna

Aug 9th, 1997, 05:26 PM
Brian Kopeikin

We're going to Prague, Vienna and Salsburg this fall and wondered if any recent travelers had suggestions as to favorite resturants, activities, sites etc. to pass along. We just got some guide books but would love an insider's imput. Thanks. BK

Aug 10th, 1997, 03:10 AM
Sally

From our webpage...

Prague, CZ: Zalta Ulicka -- Named after the "golden lane" in the Castle District. It is small,
looks like a luncheonette, but is a rather unusual place. The owner was born in Skopje [!] and
moved to Sarejevo after the 1963 earthquake. The food is Yugoslav and GOOD and the
price is right! The decoration is eclectic. Well worth a visit; Metamorphosis -- On the newly
reconstructed square behind Tyn Church, which is to say right off Old Town Square. The
decor is retro with a contemporary flair. The food is "trendy" and quite good. There is a big
outdoor seating area with a good view of comings and goings.

Vienna, AT: Tavola -- In our search for a rest from dumplings we found this beautiful
restaurant full of beautiful young Viennese who appreciate good Italian food. So did we! Near
St. Stephen's Square.

Also in Prague across the Charles Bridge and a hard turn to the right twice is a restaurant with a view of the bridge called something like La Centerova... The food was Czech, not cheap... but a *great* view, including, if you are lucky, swans!

Enjoy!

Aug 10th, 1997, 03:58 AM
Ed Musser

I visited Prague and Vienna in May 97. First time in
Prague so I took one of the half day bus tours as there is so much to see. Have been to Vienna many
times and also recommend city tour. This kind of
gives you the "layout" of the city and lets you see
sites you may want to visit later on foot. Watch
taxi drivers in Prague, they have a habit of over-
charging tourists. I always ask fare before I take
a taxi. Both are great cities. While in Vienna I
rented a car and drove to Brno, Czech Republic. Only
80 miles north and then to Bratislava, a neat old
city, about 50 miles east of Vienna in Slovakia.
Have fun Prague and Vienna are great cities. Dont miss Shoenbrunn Palace, Hapsburg Palace in Vienna.
Regards, Ed

Sep 22nd, 1997, 11:29 AM
Michael Miller

PRAGUE ON THANKSGIVING ?

We are planning a trip to prague this thanksgiving and would like info and experiences in Prague during late fall. Is this a good time to go or should we consider another European city ?

Sep 23rd, 1997, 06:34 PM
Christopher

I was only in VIE for a few hours, but I enjoyed a place called Trzesniewski (as best I can remember the spelling). Basically, what they have are different varieties on egg salad sandwiches. My mommy certainly never made them with curry... yummy.

I know more about Amsterdam and Brussels; let me know what wonderful bits you discover.

Sep 23rd, 1997, 07:52 PM
Mark

I spent a year in Vienna and had a wonderful time.
Since you'll be there in Dec. you must go to the Kristkindlmarkt am Spittleberg. The Kristkindlmarkt (christmas children's market) is not only for children, but for any shopper. They have all sorts of traditional and modern austrian arts and crafts.
It's located in the middle of several intertwining streets that are closed off for the purpose. It's very romantic and cozy. You also must try the punsch (punch) or gluewein that they serve at many stands. It's wine with spices added and served hot. You'll need it in Dec. It's located behind the Museums Quarter in Vienna. You can get there with the subway. Take U3 (orange line) to Volkstheater. From there it's only a couple of minutes walk. If you want any more suggestions contact me at my email address, I know the whole city very well.