Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lucca, Italy - for a month? affordable places to stay?

Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone. I will be going to Italy for one month in September 2013. By then, I will have studied Italian for two years. I have it in my head that I want to stay in Lucca for the duration - within the walls. Is that too long? I'm having difficulty finding an affordable place to stay - as I'm traveling alone (no one to split the costs with). And, I plan on using public transportation, walking and biking. I have also heard that persons eating alone in restaurants are frowned upon. Is that your experience? I would love to hear your opinions and suggestions. Grazie.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What is your budget?

"<i>I have also heard that persons eating alone in restaurants are frowned upon.</i>"

Frowned upon by whom?? And who told you that? That is silly - of course you can dine alone.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 12:22 AM

OK, I know I am going to get push back on this but I am going to say it anyway. My youngest daughter and I once spent 4 hours in Lucca and it seemed like a month. This is just my humble opinion but it was one of the most boring places I have ever been in Italy.

For a female traveling alone who wants to practice Italian I recommend Assisi. It is friendly, small, safe and easy to navigate.

I went to school there 10 years ago, to try and learn Italian, and fell in love with the place. It all, we have visited 4 times the latest being last year for 10 days.

We had a double room with bath for €50 a night. I know of two places that are family run where you could get a nice single room for much less than that.

Assisi is also a good base from which to explore the other small Umbrian hill towns.

Since the 1997 earthquake the entire town has been cleaned and restored to its original colors...white and pink. It is drop dead beautiful.

You should seriously consider it.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 12:35 AM

Airbnb is a great site to check if you're a budget traveler and plan to stay in one spot for a month.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 05:37 AM

I'm afraid Lucca isn't the most thrilling of towns, but in comparison to Assisi, I wouldn't hesitate and choose Lucca, hands down and eyes closed.

Public transportation, walking and biking is quite OK in Lucca.
If you want to rely on public transportation in Umbria, I would recommend Perugia. It is a far better base for exploring the Umbrian towns.
Perugia also has a University for Foreigners, see http://www.unistrapg.it/en
Maybe you could combine something in the field of your studies and benefit from the University infrastructure and their student accomodation.

The cost for lodging for 1 month in a pensione or B&B should be discussed, you shouldn't pay the daily rate x 30. Ask for their best price for a month-stay precising you want your room cleaned 1/week, bed linen and towels changed 1/week. Ask how much they would charge for breakfast, knowing that a coffee and a brioche/cornetto will cost you under 3 euros in the bar next door.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am laughing at Jim21 (not in a malicious manner). Four whole hours, how did you cope!

A work colleague of mine went on a "If it's Tuesday afternoon it must be Florence" , 10 cities in 8 days sort of tour. She came back raving about it, except "I don't know why anybody would bother with Lucca - we spent a couple of hours their and I was bored rigid".

I've spent a couple of weeks in Lucca, and really like it. It may lack the splendours of Florence or Siena, but it has a wonderful atmosphere. I felt that given the opportunity, I could easily live there.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 07:18 AM

It is not silly to think that Italian restaurants do not always welcome solo diners. If you go to a very popular restaurant that is small and family run, you take up a whole table but eat only one meal, and that is something of a problem. Italian restaurants are not like American restaurants, where people take turns sitting at the same table. In Italy, if you go to a restaurant for lunch or dinner, then that table is yours and the only money the restaurant will make from that table is what you eat.

Many owners will never show you that they are not happy to have a solo diner. But some will wish you hadn't shown up, especially if you pick their busiest time. So if you want to try a famous place, try to go when it is not their busy time, maybe for lunch at the beginning of the week, and make sure you are hungry enough to eat a full meal.

There are many good places to eat in any town. Since you will be there for a month, you won't want to eat at the famous places all the time. Ask the owner of your apartment for suggestions for nice, inexpensive places to eat with friendly owners. Go back to the one you like the best and soon they will treat you like family, and you can walk in solo anytime and even order just a little food, like a soup or pasta.

I would prefer someplace cooler than Lucca or Assisi in September.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 07:30 AM

Interesting. I was fascinated by the idea of Lucca and planned a vacation from our vacation there -- for about 4 days. We too got bored, which has very rarely happened in Italy.

One thing Lucca has is an assortment of villas to visit in the area. Here's a link: http://www.knowital.com/html/lucca_-...d_gardens.html. Don't know how accessible these are by bus or bicycle.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 11:54 AM

i was very disappointed in Lucca during my visit there, i found it full of grafiti and have to agree it was boreing, and the Torre Guinigi was full of merda di piccione.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone for the replies. I'm definitely re-thinking this trip. Thanks for the tips about Umbria. I'll check in with a new proposed itinerary. Grazie mille!
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 08:41 PM

I spent two weeks in Lucca, mostly by myself (I was attending language school) and loved it! I had dinner by myself several times and don't recall anyone "frowning". Maybe I was having too good a time to notice.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>OK, I know I am going to get push back on this but I am going to say it anyway. My youngest daughter and I once spent 4 hours in Lucca and it seemed like a month.<<<

I found Lucca deadly dull as did the six people that traveled with me that trip.

>>And, I plan on using public transportation, walking and biking.<<<

Just to get around the city or do you mean for trips out of the city?

What is your age? Some cities are geared to younger people. Is that what you are looking for?

This website is B&B's and apartments. The links are directly to the property website or gives you contact info. You can also do a request for offers for an area.
http://www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com/
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 08:58 PM

I spent several days in Lucca a couple of years ago and wished it had been a couple of days longer. I would choose it over Assisi for a longer stay because it seems more of a town where people live and work, so less touristy. We met some very nice, friendly people. Food was very good and gelato the best I've had anywhere in Italy. I also like the proximity to CT and Florence.

You might consider starting a thread asking for suggestions for towns/small cities for a month long stay.
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

>cruiseluv: I know there are several language schools in Lucca. Did you attend Koine by any chance? Where did you stay?
>kybourbon: I'm 55. I thought I could use public transportation in and out of Lucca for many day trips. I'm pretty active and am not concerned about a lot of walking and biking within Lucca. Actually, that's what I'm looking for. I don't want to move from hotel to hotel to hotel...I don't have family in Lucca anymore, but I wanted to get a feel for where my family came from. Now, I'm thinking about 10 days in Tuscany (with Lucca as the home base), 10 days in Umbria and 10 days in Campagna (family reasons). Thank you for reading.
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 07:00 AM

Hi jencvt,

Yes, I attended Koine but would not recommend it(mainly due to the Director of the school and the attitude that permeates in the school due to his poor skills). I loved Lucca in spite of it and frankly, my Italian greatly improved due to interaction with locals. If you're looking for a language school there I would ecommend you look into:
www.luccaitalianschool.com/
It was formed by some of the teachers of Koine (the good ones)and I've read many good reports about it. Actually, I'm considering attending next year.

I stayed at a B&B called La Romea which I really liked. But if I was doing it all over again I would rent an apt. While I was there I went around looking at rental apts with Deborah from www.luccaholidayhomes.it and if I go back next year will probably rent from her.

I was 52 when I did this trip and as I said previously, never felt odd when being by myself in restaurants or cafes. While staying in Lucca I easily traveled to Pisa, the Cinque Terre and Florence by public transport. There were other daytrips I could have done but due having classes most days didn't have time to.

Have you considered splitting your month in Italy in two locations, maybe 2 weeks in Lucca and 2 weeks in some other area?
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 12:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I thought I could use public transportation in and out of Lucca for many day trips.<<<

You can do a few day trips from Lucca on public transport, but you will likely have to connect somewhere (Pisa/Florence) as it's only served by the slow R trains. You might have better luck with bus transport.

As a solo dinner, you might be turned away from a few restaurants (I have been), but most will be fine with it.

It seems you have a family reason for staying in Lucca. If you decide to only spend a few days there, you might consider some other towns such as Siena. There have been several reviews for a language school there. Most schools will set you up in a family situation or a budget apartment.

How much do you want to spend per night?
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 11:15 PM

I would highly recommend Lucca Italian School if you're looking for a top notch language school in Italy. The school is owned by the teachers, which makes all the difference to the way they deal with you. The teachers are really good and you only have to look at reviews on the school to see how many people return for a second course, which says it all really.

Lucca Italian School can also arrange accommodation for you with a local family, including meals, which is very affordable and a wonderful way to enhance your learning experience. Have a look at their website for details on prices. I have twice done this and really enjoyed the experience.

On both occasions, I met wonderful like-minded people at the school and was torn between having dinner with my Italian family (who provided wonderful meals) or dinner out with my new friends. The school also organises social occasions and cultural activities,so you're unlikely to get lonely. Eating out on your own is certainly not frowned on in Italy, and can be quite fun. Yes, you may be turned away if the restaurant is full and you haven't made a reservation, but not because you are on your own.

As for getting bored with Lucca, I'm absolutely amazed at those comments. Lucca is a fascinating place, there is lots to do and see in and nearby Lucca. Lucca Italian School organises excursions, both in Lucca itself and the surrounding areas, and is very helpful in suggesting places to visit on your own and how to get there. If you are interested in a beautiful Renaissance town, that is easy to get around, has a fascinating history, has plenty of concerts and cultural activities, and is perfectly located for day trips to Florence, Pisa, the Cinque Terre and the Garfagnana, then you won't be disappointed.
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 11:27 PM

Yes, as I thought, SCParry has only this one post, but I will still look into the school as cruiseluv recommended it.
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 11:39 PM

tarquin, there are plenty of other people on travel forums on the internet who highly recommend Lucca Italian School so do have a good look round.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tarquin, there have been quite a few threads on Language Schools in the last year or two. annhig's trip report from last year is quite entertaining as well as being informative.

I went on several trips to study in Siena, and have never regretted it.

SCParry - my first thought on reading your post was that it is an advert, it is the style in which it is written.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -