Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
restful days in ireland

The following is my itinerary for Ireland at the end of July:

Days 1 & 2: Dublin
Days 3 & 4: Galway
Day 5: Clifden
Day 6: Westport?

We still have days 7 & 8 open (before having to head back to Dublin on Day 9, and leave on Day 10). We would like to stay somewhere on the way back to Dublin for days 7 & 8, and are thinking Kilkenny City might be a nice stop. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? Thanks.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 03:26 PM

In May, in addition to Dublin and Galway, we visited Kilkenny, Cashel (Co. Tipperary), and Ennis. Kilkenny was fast-paced and full of traffic, but has some interesting sites. We loved Cashel, but it might be more crowded in July. (The ruins on the Rock are wonderful; also Hore Abbey ruins a short walk away.) I really enjoyed Ennis. It is an active city, but friendly with nice pubs and lots of music.
There are several small towns and ruins in the area of Kilkenny that I could not visit because I didn't have a car. Took the train to Thomastown and walked to Jerpoint Abbey -- it was a highlight of my trip. Kells Priory and Kilree Round Tower & High Crosses are near the town of Kells, 13km south of Kilkenny. And Nicholas Mosse Pottery is made in Bennetsbridge, not far from Kilkenny. You can see that I plan to go back and rent a car next time!
Hope you have a great time.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 03:56 PM

Hmmm, restful? Sounds like a good plan! Kilkenny doesn't come directly to mind when you say restful though. It's an pretty energetic town. As shashie said, it's fast-paced. Plus, if you were to draw lines between your other stops, Kilkenny wouldn't be close to the others.

Personally, if it were my own trip, I would do <i><b>one</b></i> of a couple of things:
1)Add more time in Connemara. The interior around Lough Inagh, Kylemore Abbey, Sky Road, the Southern Coast. It's a beautiful area.
2) Slip a trip to the Beara penninsula in somewhere.
3) Add time in the Burren area
4) Put Galway last before the drive back to Dublin. We made Galway-Dublin in 4 hours, without the stop for lunch. It's a major road all the way back.
5) If a place midway is of the biggest interest, perhaps somewhere near Clonmacnois?
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

This is great! Thank you so much for your help...
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:42 AM

Seannag,

Spend two nights in Clifden - great little town and music. Don't go as far North as Westport - with such a short trip.

Ennis is a great little town - so is Doolin (Cliffs of Mohr) - great music towns.

You'll love Galway - good idea to do it on the way back.

Have fun!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 12:51 PM

HI
If you are going to stay in Kilkenny. Go to Kilgraney House. This shows Ireland heritage and romantic houses at its best and the food is a must. It only had about 10 rooms but is fantastic. I am from IReland and believe me, I have been to a lot of places
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 01:58 AM

Kilkenny is a bit out of the way if you are driving from Westport (County Mayo) to Dublin. I would opt for staying in County Mayo, in Knock (one of Ireland's holy places) on Mayo's eastern border.

In May'03 I stayed in Ballina, right on the Moy River (BrigOwn B&amp;B) and it was very nice.